The Evolving Social Responsibilities of Internet Corporate Actors: Pointers Past and Present
- Robert Madelin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Internet corporate behaviour is slowly showing movement from mere legal compliance towards responsible behaviour. Long-evolved off-line Best Practice for corporate voluntarism is, however, largely absent from the Internet. As a result, corporate efforts to act on societal issues beyond the shareholder dividend suffer avoidable shortcomings in design, delivery and recognition. Internet corporate actors can secure greater acknowledgement for their efforts and enjoy greater success, if they involve other interested parties in these efforts from inception, and commit to continuous improvement of their initiatives on the basis of transparent reporting and structured feedback.
- European Commission/DG for Health. (2006). Self-Regulation in the EU Advertising Sector.
- G8 Deauville Declaration. (2011). http://www.g8-g20.com/g8-g20/g8/francais/le-sommet-2011/declarations-et-rapports/les-declarations/un-nouvel-elan-pour-la-liberte-et-la-democratie.1313.html (French); http://www.g8-g20.com/g8-g20/g8/english/the-2011-summit/declarations-and-reports/declarations/renewed-commitment-for-freedom-and-democracy.1314.html (English).
- ECJ judgment in case C-324/09 (L'Oréal and others v Ebay) of 12 July 2011 http://curia.europa.eu/jurisp/cgi-bin/gettext.pl?where=&lang=en&num=79889287C19090324&doc=T&ouvert=T&seance=ARRET.
- Madelin, R. (2000). In M. Darmer and L. Kuyper (Eds.), Industry and the EU. Edward Elgar.
- Morris, I. (2010). Why the West rules for now. Profile Books.
- Zadek, S. (2001). Third Generation Corporate Citizenship Public Policy and Business in Society, Foreign Policy Centre. See also: http://www.zadek.net/blog.
- The Evolving Social Responsibilities of Internet Corporate Actors: Pointers Past and Present
Philosophy & Technology
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 455-461
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Corporate responsibility
- Internet governance
- Stakeholder governance
- Joint learning
- Collective intelligence
- Complex systems
- Future internet
- Robert Madelin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Directorate General Information Society and Media, European Commission, BU25 06/183, 1049, Brussels, Belgium