Undrained bearing capacity of spudcan under combined loading
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The bearing capacities of spudcan foundation under pure vertical (V), horizontal (H), moment (M) loading and the combined loading are studied based on a series of three-dimensional finite element analysis. The effects of embedment ratio and soil non-homogeneity on the bearing capacity are investigated in detail. The capacities of spudcan under different pure loading are expressed in non-dimensional bearing capacity factors, which are compared with published results. Ultimate limit states under combined loading are presented by failure envelopes, which are expressed in terms of dimensionless and normalized form in three-dimensional load space. The comparison between the presented failure envelopes and available published numerical results reveals that the size and shape of failure envelopes are dependent on the embedment ratio and the non-homogeneity of the soil.
- API RP2A, 2000. Recommended Practice for Planning Designing and Construction Fixed Offshore Platforms, Washington, DC, American Petroleum Institute.
- Bransby, M. F. and Randolph, M. F., 1997. Shallow foundations subject to combined loadings, 9th International Conference of the International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomec, The Netherlands, 3, 1947–1952.
- Bransby, M. F. and Randolph, M. F., 1998. Combined loading of skirted foundations, Geotechnique, 48(5): 637–655. CrossRef
- Bransby, M. F. and Randolph, M. F., 1999. The effects of embedment on the undrained response of caisson foundations to combined loadings, Soils Found., 39(4): 19–34.
- Butterfield, R., Houlsby, G. T. and Gottardi, G., 1997. Standardized sign conventions and notation for generally loaded foundations, Geotechnique, 47(4): 1051–1054.
- Byrne, B. W., Houlsby, G. T., Martin, C. M. and Fish, P. M., 2002. Suction caisson foundations for offshore wind turbines, Wind Engineering, 26(3): 145–155. CrossRef
- Cassidy, M. J., Byrne, B. W. and Randolph, M. F., 2004. A comparison of the combined load behavior of spudcan and caisson foundations on soft normally consolidated clay, Geotechnique, 52(2): 91–106.
- Dassault Systèmes, 2007. ABAQUS Analysis User’s Manual.
- Davis, E. H. and Booker, J. R., 1973. The effect of increasing strength with depth on the bearing capacity of clays, Geotechnique, 23(4): 551–563. CrossRef
- DNV CN30.4, 1992. Foundations, Classification Note 30.4, Det Norske Veritas.
- Gottardi, G., Houlsby, G. T. and Butterfield, R., 1999. Plastic response of circular footings on sand under general planar loading, Geotechnique, 49(4): 453–470. CrossRef
- Gourvenec, S. and Randolph, M. F., 2003. Effect of strength non-homogeneity on the shape and failure envelopes for combined loading of strip and circular foundations on clay, Geotechnique, 53(6): 575–586. CrossRef
- Gourvenec, S., 2007. Failure envelopes for offshore shallow foundation under general loading, Geotechnique, 57(9): 715–728. CrossRef
- Gourvenec, S., 2008. Effect of embedment on the undrained capacity of shallow foundations under general loading, Geotechnique, 58(3): 177–185. CrossRef
- Green, A. P., 1954. The plastic yielding of metal junctions due to combined shear and pressure, J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 2(3): 197–211. CrossRef
- Hansen. J. B., 1970. A revised and extended formula for bearing capacity, Bulletin No.28, Danish Geotechnical Institute, 28, 5–11.
- Hossain, M. S., Hu, Y. and Randolph, M. F., 2004. Bearing capacity of spudcan foundation on uniform clay during deep penetration, Proceedings of 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, June 20–25, Vancouer, British Columbia, Canada, 1–8.
- Hossain, 2004. Investigation of Soil Failure Mechanisms during Spudcan Foundation Installation, Ph. D. thesis, Perth: Curtin University of Technology.
- Houlsby, G. T. and Wroth, C. P., 1983. Calculation of stresses on shallow penetrometers and footings, Proc. IUTAM/IUGG Seabed Mechanics, Newcastle, 107–112.
- Hu, Y. and Randolph, M. F., 1998. A practical numerical approach for large deformation problems in soil, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomechanics, 22(5): 327–350. CrossRef
- Kusakabe, O., Suzuki, H. and Nakase, A., 1986. An upper bound calculation on bearing capacity of a circular footing on a nonhomogeneous clay, Soils Found., 26(3): 143–148.
- Martin, C. M., 1994. Physical and numerical modeling of offshore foundations under combined loads, Ph. D. thesis, London: University of Oxford.
- Martin, C. M. and Houlsby, G. T., 2000. Combined loading of spudcan foundations on clay: laboratory tests, Geotechnique, 50(4): 325–338. CrossRef
- Murff, J. D., 1994. Limit analysis of multi-footing foundation systems, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, Totterdam: Balkema, 233–244.
- Osborne, J. J., Trickey, J. C. and Houlsby, G. T., 1991. Findings from a joint industry study on foundation fixity of jackup units, Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, OTC6615, 517–533.
- Randolph, M. F., Cassidy, M., Gourvenec, S. and Erbrich, C., 2005. Challenges of offshore geotechnical engineering, state-of-the-art paper, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Osaka, Japan, 123–176.
- Roscoe, K. H. and Schofield, A. N., 1957. The stability of short pier foundations in sand, discussion, British Welding Journal, January, 12–18.
- Skempton, A. W., 1951. The bearing capacity of clays, Proceedings of Building Research Congress, 1, 180–189.
- Taiebat, H. and Carter, J. P., 2000. Numerical studies of the bearing capacity of shallow footings on cohesive soil subjected to combined loading, Geotechnique, 50(4): 409–418. CrossRef
- Tan, F. S., 1990. Centrifuge and Theoretical Modelling of Conical Footings on Sand, Ph. D. thesis, University of Cambridge.
- Ukritchon, B., Whittle, A. J. and Sloan, S. W., 1998. Undrained limit analyses for combined loading of strip footings on clay, J. Geotechn. Geoenvironm. Eng., 124(3): 265–276. CrossRef
- Vesic, A.S., 1975. Bearing capacity of shallow foundations, Foundation Engineering Handbook (ed. Winterkorn H F and Fang H Y), Van Nostrand, New York, 121–147.
- Yun, G. and Bransby, M. F., 2007. The undrained vertical bearing capacity of skirted foundations, Soils Found., 47(3): 493–505. CrossRef
- Undrained bearing capacity of spudcan under combined loading
China Ocean Engineering
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 15-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Chinese Ocean Engineering Society
- Additional Links
- soft clay
- bearing capacity
- combined loading
- finite element