New approach to the strain analysis of bragg grating sensors
The response of an optical strain sensor based on the fiber Bragg grating is theoretically analyzed with a different approach of that found usually in the literature. In this model, geometrical changes suffered by the grating itself are taken into account. The results are compared with those from experiments, showing very good agreement.
- H. J. Patrick, G. M. Williams, A. D. Kersey, J. R. Pedrazzani, and A. M. Vengsarkar, “Hybrid fiber Bragg grating long period fiber grating sensor for strain/temperature discrimination,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 1223–1225, 1996. CrossRef
- A. Selvarajan, “Fiber optic sensors and their applications,” Indian institute of science, Bangalore-560 012, 2010.
- Z. Zhou, T. W. Graver, L. Hsu, and J. Ou, “Techniques of advanced FBG sensors: fabrication, demodulation, encapsulation and their application in the structural health monitoring of bridges,” Pacific Science Review, vol. 5, no. 1, pp.116–121, 2003.
- W. W. Morey, G. Meltz, and W. H. Glenn, “Fiber optic Bragg grating sensors,” in Proc. SPIE, vol. 1169, pp. 98–107, 1989. CrossRef
- E. J. Friebele, “Fiber Bragg grating strain sensors: present and future applicationsin smart structures,” Optics and Photonics News, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 33–37, 1998. CrossRef
- A. Othonos, “Fiber Bragg gratings,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 68, no. 12, pp. 4309–4341, 1997. CrossRef
- G. Gagliardi, M. Salza, P. Ferraro, and P. D. Natale, “Interrogation of FBG-based strain sensors by means of laser radio-frequency modulation techniques,” Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. S507–S513, 2006. CrossRef
- C. Floridia, A. C. Santa BrÍgida, F. Borin, D. C. Dini, P. Alcantara Jr., and N. Bramatti, “Single-axis fiber optic proximity sensor based on magnetic force for hydrogenerator applications”, presented at Proc. IASTED International Conference, Crete, Greece, 2008.
- G. P. Agrawal, Fiber Optics Communiction Systems. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1992.
- A. D. Kersey, “A review of recent developments in fiber optic sensor technology, fiber optic smart structures,” U. S. Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, February 13, 1996.
- T. Hiroshi, K. Kenji, and O. Shinji, “Ultrasonic sensitivity of strain-insensitive fiber Bragg grating sensors and evaluation of ultrasound-induced strain,” Sensors, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 11248–11258, 2010. CrossRef
- New approach to the strain analysis of bragg grating sensors
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 74-80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- Additional Links
- Bragg grating sensor
- strain sensor
- Bragg wavelength
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Programa de Pós-Graduação em Física, Universidade Federal do Pará, Belém, 66075-110, Brazil
- 2. Programa de Pós Graduação em Engenharia Elétrica, Universidade Federal do Pará, Belém, 66075-110, Brazil