Computational models for new fiber optic tweezers
This paper discusses the calculation of the trapping forces in optical tweezers using a combination of the finite differences time domain (FDTD) method and the Lorentz force on electric dipoles. The results of 2D simulations of the trapping of a circular particle by a waveguide with a circular tip are presented and discussed.
- S. P. Gross. “Application of optical traps in vivo,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 361, pp.162–174, 2003. CrossRef
- W. Hellmich, C. Pelargus, K. Leffhalm, A. Ros, and D. Anselmetti, “Single cell manipulation, analytics, and label-free protein detection in microfluidic devices for systems nanobiology,” Electrophoresis, vol. 26, no. 19, pp. 3689–3696, 2005. CrossRef
- G. T. Roman, Y. Chen, P. Viberg, A. H. Culbertson, and C. T. Culbertson, “Single-cell manipulation and analysis using microfluidic devices,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 387, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 2007. CrossRef
- D. Wang and S. Bodovitz, “Single cell analysis: the new frontier in ‘omics’,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 281–290, 2010. CrossRef
- K. C. Neuman and S. M. Block. “Optical trapping,” Review Scientific Instruments, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 2787–2809, 2004. CrossRef
- P. Minzioni, F. Bragheri, C. Liberale, E. Fabrizio, and I. Cristiani, “A novel approach of fiber-optic tweezers: numerical analysis of the trapping efficiency,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 151–157, 2008. CrossRef
- R. Taylor and C. Hnatovsky, “Particle trapping in 3-D using a single fiber probe with an annular light distribution,” Optics Express, vol. 11, no. 21, pp. 2775–2782, 2003. CrossRef
- Y. Liu and M. Yu, “Investigation of inclined dual-fiber optical tweezers for 3D manipulation and force sensing,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 13624–13638, 2009. CrossRef
- S. M. Barnett, “Resolution of the Abraham-Minkowski dilemma,” Physics Review Letters, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 070401-1–070401-4, 2010. CrossRef
- S. M. Barnett and R. Loudon, “On the electromagnetic force on a dielectric medium,” Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular Optical Physics, vol. 39, no. 15, pp. S671–S684, 2006. CrossRef
- R. Loundon, “Theory of the forces exerted by Laguerre-Gaussian light beams on dielectrics,” Physical Review A, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 013806-1–013806-15, 2003.
- R. Loundon, S. M. Barnett, and C. Baxter, “Radiation pressure and momentum transfer in dielectrics: the photon drag effect,” Physical Review A, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 063802-1–063802-11, 2003.
- A. F. Oskooi, D. Roundy, M. Ibanescu, P. Bermel, J. D. Joannopoulos, and S. G. Johnson, “MEEP: a flexible free-software package for electromagnetic simulations by the FDTD method,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 181, no. 3, pp. 687–702, 2010. CrossRef
- Computational models for new fiber optic tweezers
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 57-60
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- Additional Links
- Optical tweezers
- optical fiber
- single cell
- electromagnetic force
- Industry Sectors