Numerical investigation of a refractive index SPR D-type optical fiber sensor using COMSOL multiphysics
Recently, many programs have been developed for simulation or analysis of the different parameters of light propagation in optical fibers, either for sensing or for communication purposes. In this paper, it is shown the COMSOL Multiphysics as a fairly robust and simple program, due to the existence of a graphical environment, to perform simulations with good accuracy. Results are compared with other simulation analysis, focusing on the surface plasmon resonance (SPR) phenomena for refractive index sensing in a D-type optical fiber, where the characteristics of the material layers, in terms of the type and thickness, and the residual fiber cladding thickness are optimized.
- B. Lee, S. Roh, and J. Park, “Current status of micro- and nano-structured optical fiber sensors,” Optical Fiber Technology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 209–221, 2009. CrossRef
- R. Slavik, J. Homola, J. Ctyroký, and E. Brynda, “Novel spectral fiber optic sensor based on surface plasmon resonance,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 74, no. 1–4, pp. 106–111, 2001. CrossRef
- A. K. Sharma and B. D. Gupta, “On the performance of different bimetallic combinations in surface plasmon resonance based fiber optic sensors,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 9, p. 093111-1–093111-6, 2007.
- E. Anemogiannis, E. N. Glytsis, and T. K. Gaylord, “Transmission characteristics of long-period fiber gratings having arbitrary azimuthal/radial refractive index variations,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 218–227, 2003. CrossRef
- Y. Al-Qazwini, P. T. Arasu, and A. S. M. Noor, “Numerical investigation of the performance of an SPR-based optical fiber sensor in an aqueous environment using finite-difference time domain,” in Proc. 2011 2nd International Conference on Photonics, Oct. 17–19, vol. 1, pp. 1–4, 2011. CrossRef
- B. Culshaw, F. Muhammad, R. Van Ewyk, G. Stewart, S. Murray, D. Pinchbeck, et al., “Evanescent wave methane detection using optical fibers,” Electronics Letters, vol. 28, no. 24, pp. 2232–2234, 1992. CrossRef
- F. M. Araújo, L. A. Ferreira, J. L. Santos, and F. Farahi, “Temperature and strain insensitive bending measurements with D-type fiber Bragg gratings,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 829–833, 2001. CrossRef
- M. H. Chiu, S. F. Wang, and R. S. Chang, “D-type fiber biosensor based on surface-plasmon resonance technology and heterodyne interferometry,” Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 233–235, 2005. CrossRef
- Y. Chen and H. Ming, “Review of surface plasmon resonance and localized surface plasmon resonance sensor,” Photonics Sensors, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 37–49, 2012. CrossRef
- M. Fliziani and F. Maradei, “Edge element analysis of complex configurations in presence of shields,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 1548–1551, 1997. CrossRef
- A. Méndez and T. F. Morse, Specialty Optical Fibers Handbook. San Diego, California: Academic Press, 2007, pp. 39–40.
- M. H. Chiu, C. H. Shih, and M. H. Chi, “Optimum sensitivity of single-mode D-type optical fiber sensor in the intensity measurement,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 1120–1124, 2007. CrossRef
- D. Christensen and D. Fowers, “Modeling SPR sensors with the finite-difference time-domain method,” Biosensors & Bioelectronics, Vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 677–684, 1996. CrossRef
- Numerical investigation of a refractive index SPR D-type optical fiber sensor using COMSOL multiphysics
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 61-66
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- Additional Links
- Refractive index sensor
- optical fiber sensor
- surface plasmon resonance
- light propagation simulation
- COMSOL Multiphysics
- graphical environment