Date: 29 Dec 2013
Pertussis outbreaks in the developed world: Are acellular pertussis vaccines ineffective?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Sheridan SL, Ware RS, Grimwood K, Lambert SB. Number and order of whole cell pertussis vaccines in infancy and disease protection. JAMA. 2012;208:454–456. CrossRef
- Ongoing pertussis epidemic in Western Australia. Department of Health, Government of Western Australia, Available from: URL: http://www.health.wa.gov.au/diseasewatch/vol16_issue1/Ongoing_pertussis_epidemic_in_Western_Australia.cfm. Accessed on May 23, 2013.
- New Zealand Public Health Surveillance Report; September 2012. Available from: URL: http://www.surv.esr.cri.nz/PDF_surveillance/NZPHSR/2012/NZPHSR2012Sep.pdf. Accessed on May 23, 2013.
- Jackson DW, Rohani P. Perplexities of pertussis: recent global epidemiological trends and their potential causes. Epidemiol Infect. 2013;16:1–13.
- Winter K, Harriman K, Zipprich J, Schechter R, Talarico J, Watt J, et al. California pertussis epidemic, 2010. J Pediatr. 2012;161:1091–1096
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Pertussis epidemic-Washington, 2012. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:517–522.
- Public Health England. Table: whooping cough (pertussis) laboratory reports in England and Wales by region and age group, 2008–2011 (confirmed by culture, PCR and/or serology). Available from: URL: http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAwebandHPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1317132184294. Accessed June 24, 2013.
- Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) statistics. AvailableFrom URL: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/provider/patients/acir/statistics.jsp#N1002D, Accessed July 7, 2013.
- National Immunization Schedule, Australian Government. Available from: URL: http://immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/EE1905BC65D40BCFCA257B26007FC8CA/$File/nip-schedule-cardhib-menc-update.pdf, Accessed July 7,2013.
- Edwards KM, Decker MD. Pertussis vaccines. In: Plotkin S, Orenstein W, Offit P, eds. Vaccines, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2008.P.467–517.
- Cherry JD. Epidemic pertussis in 2012-the resurgence of a vaccine-preventable disease. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:785–787. CrossRef
- Mughal A, Kazi YF, Bukhari HA, Ali M. Pertussis resurgence among vaccinated children in Khairpur, Sindh, Pakistan. Public Health. 2012;126:518–522. CrossRef
- Queenan AM, Cassiday PA, Evangelista A. Pertactinnegative variants of Bordetella pertussis in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:583–584. CrossRef
- Octavia S, Sintchenko V, Gilbert GL, Lawrence A, Keil AD, Hogg G, et al. Newly emerging clones of Bordetella pertussis carrying prn2 and ptxP3 alleles implicated in Australian pertussis epidemic in 2008–2010. J Infect Dis. 2012;205:1220–1224. CrossRef
- Cherry JD. Why do pertussis vaccines fail? Pediatrics. 2012;129:968–970. CrossRef
- Witt MA, Katz PH, Witt DJ. Unexpectedly limited durability of immunity following acellular pertussis vaccination in preadolescents in a North American outbreak. Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54:1730–1735. CrossRef
- Liko J, Robison SG, Cieslak PR. Priming with whole-cell versus acellular pertussis vaccine. N Engl J Med. 2013; 368:581–582. CrossRef
- Witt MA, Arias L, Katz PH, Truong ET, Witt DJ. Reduced risk of pertussis among persons ever vaccinated with whole cell pertussis vaccine compared to recipients of acellular pertussis vaccines in a large US cohort. Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 56:1248–1254. CrossRef
- Klein NP, Bartlett J, Fireman B, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Baxter R. Comparative effectiveness of acellular versus whole-cell pertussis vaccines in teenagers. Pediatrics 2013;13: e1716–1722. CrossRef
- Klein NP, Bartlett J, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Fireman B, Baxter R. Waning protection after fifth dose of acellular pertussis vaccine in children. N Engl J Med. 2012; 367:1012–1019. CrossRef
- Sheridan SL, Ware RS, Grimwood K, Lambert SB. Number and order of whole cell pertussis vaccines in infancy and disease protection. JAMA 2012; 308:454–456. CrossRef
- Gabutti G, Rota MC. Pertussis: a review of disease epidemiology worldwide and in Italy. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2012;9:4626–4638. CrossRef
- Pertussis outbreaks in the developed world: Are acellular pertussis vaccines ineffective?
Volume 50, Issue 12 , pp 1109-1112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, Max Superspeciality Hospital, Shalimar Bagh, Delhi, 110 088, India
- 2. IAP Advisory Committee on Vaccines and Immunization Practices, Mangla Hospital and Research Center, Shakti Chowk, Bijnor, Uttar Pradesh, 246 701, India