Serum magnesium in overweight children
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To determine whether overweight children and adolescents have lower serum concentration and lower dietary intake of magnesium compared to those with normal weight; and to study the correlation of serum magnesium levels with components of metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents.
Cross-sectional, comparative study.
General/Pediatric Endocrinolgy OPD tertiary care medical centre. Study done from July 2007 to March 2009
55 overweight and 53 normal weight children and adolescents aged 4 years to 14 years.
We compared fasting levels of serum magnesium, insulin, glucose, total and HDL-cholesterol, triglycerides and dietary magnesium intake.
The serum magnesium levels were significantly lower in overweight (2.12 ± 0.33 mg/dL) compared to normal weight group (2.56 ± 0.24 mg/dL, P<0.001), while the dietary intake of magnesium (adjusted for calorie intake) was higher in overweight group (0.20 ± 0.06 mg/ kcal) compared to normal weight (0.17 ± 0.05 mg/kcal; P=0.005). Serum magnesium levels were inversely correlated with body mass index, systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, waist circumference and fasting insulin levels.
Serum magnesium levels were significantly lower in overweight children compared to those with normal weight in spite of a higher dietary intake.
- Takaya J, Higashino H, Kotera F, Kobayashi Y. Intracellular magnesium of platelets in children with diabetes and obesity. Metabolism. 2003;52:468–471. CrossRef
- Lima M deL, Cruz T, Rodrigues LE, Bomfim O, Melo J, Correia R, et al. Serum and intracellular magnesium deficiency in patients with metabolic syndrome-evidences for its relation to insulin resistance. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2009; 83:257–262. CrossRef
- Paolisso G, Barbagallo M. Hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and insulin resistance: the role of intracellular magnesium. Am J Hypertens. 1997;10:346–355. CrossRef
- Paolisso G, Scheen A, D’Onofrio F, Lefebvre P. Magnesium and glucose homeostasis. Diabetologia. 1990;33:511–514. CrossRef
- Kandeel FR, Balon E, Scott S, Nadler JL. Magnesium deficiency and glucose metabolism in rat adipocytes. Metabolism. 1996; 45: 838–843. CrossRef
- Tongya IS. Hypomagnesemia affects membrane microviscosity and decreased receptor level interaction with insulin. Am J Physiol. 1989;257: 176–190.
- Suarez A, Pulido N, Casla A, Casanova B, Arrieta FJ, Rovira A. Impaired tyrosine kinase activity of muscle insulin receptors from hypomagnesemia rats. Diabetologia. 1995;38:1262–1270. CrossRef
- Weiss R, Dziura J, Burgert TS, Tamborlane WV, Taksali SE, Yeckel CW, et al. Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:2362–2374. CrossRef
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys. Arch Dis Child. 1970;45:13–23. CrossRef
- Fukuyama N, Homma K, Wakana N, Kudo K, Suyama A, Ohazama H, et al. Validation of the Friedewald equation for evaluation of plasma LDL-cholesterol. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2008;43:1–5. CrossRef
- Gopalan C, Rama Sastri BV, Balasubramanian SC, Narasinga Rao BS, Deosthale. YG. Nutritive Value of Indian Foods, 1st edition. Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition; 1988.
- Zimmet P, Alberti G, Kaufman F, Tajima N, Silink M, Arslanian S, et al. The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. Lancet. 2007;369:2059–2061. CrossRef
- Saris NE, Mervaala E, Karppanen H, Khawaja JA, Lewenstam A. Magnesium: an update on physiological, clinical and analytical aspects. Clin Chim Acta. 2000;294:1–26. CrossRef
- Balon TW, Gu JL, Tokuyama Y, Jasman AP, Nadler JL. Magnesium supplementation reduces development of diabetes in a rat model of spontaneous NIDDM. Am J Physiol. 1995;269:E 745–E 752.
- He K, Liu K, Daviglus ML, Morris SJ, Loria CM, Van HL, et al. Magnesium intake and incidence of metabolic syndrome among young adults. Circulation. 2006;113:1675–1682. CrossRef
- Huerta MG, Roemmich JN, Kington ML, Bovbjerg VE, Weltman AC, Holmes F. Magnesium deficiency is associated with insulin resistance in obese children. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1175–1181. CrossRef
- Sjogren A, Floren CH, Nilsson A. Magnesium, potassium and zinc deficiency in subjects with type II diabetes mellitus. Acta Med Scand. 1988;224:461–466. CrossRef
- Serum magnesium in overweight children
Volume 49, Issue 2 , pp 109-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Metabolic syndrome
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 3. Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 110 029, India
- 1. Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India