Impact of National Rural Health Mission on perinatal mortality in rural India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Innovations under National Rural Health Mission have paved the way for increased utilization of hospitals for childbirth. The association of increase in hospital deliveries with decline in the perinatal mortality rate in rural India after the launch of NRHM in 2005 was assessed using the Sample Registration System reports. Relative increase in hospital deliveries was 57% from year 2005 to 2008 but relative decline in the PNMR was only 2.5% in the rural areas of Indian states (r=0.2; 95% confidence interval −0.2–0.6; P=0.3). Hence, quality of care at the time of childbirth needs to be assessed.
- Lawn, J.E., Gravett, M.G., Nunes, T.M., Rubens, C.E., Stanton, C. (2010) Global report on preterm birth and stillbirth (1 of 7): definitions, description of the burden and opportunities to improve data. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10: pp. S1
- Zupan, J., Aahman, E. (2007) Neonatal and perinatal mortality: country, regional and global estimates 2004 developed by WHO. World Health Organization, Geneva
- Zupan, J. (2005) Perinatal Mortality in developing countries. NEJM 352: pp. 2047-2048 CrossRef
- Zupan, J., Aahman, E. (2005) Neonatal and perinatal mortality: country, regional and global estimates 2000 developed by WHO. World Health Organization, Geneva
- Kerber, K.J., Johnson, J.E.G., Bhutta, Z.A., Okong, P., Starrs, A., Lawn, J.E. (2007) Continuum of care for maternal, newborn, and child health: from slogan to service delivery. Lancet 370: pp. 1358-1369 CrossRef
- Statistical Report 2008, Report No. 1 of 2009. Office of Registrar General, India, New Delhi
- Ngoc, N.T., Merialdi, M., Aleem, H.A., Carroli, G., Purmar, M., Zavaleta, N. (2006) Causes of stillbirths and early neonatal death, data from 7993 pregnancies in six developing countries. Bull World Health Organ 84: pp. 699-705 CrossRef
- Cruz-Anguiano, V., Talavera, J.O., Vázquez, L., Antonio, A., Castellanos, A., Lezana, M.A. (2004) The importance of quality of care in perinatal mortality: a case-control study in Chiapas, Mexico. Arch Med Res 35: pp. 554-562 CrossRef
- United Nations. Promotion and protection of all human Rights, Civil, Political, Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, including the right to development. Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health, Addendum. Mission to India. Human Rights Council, Fourteenth session, Agenda item 3. United Nations A/HRC/14/20/Add.2. Available online at http://righttomaternalhealth.org/sites/iimmhr.civicactions.net/files/India.pdf. Accessed on 21 February, 2011.
- International Institute of Population Sciences. District Level Household and Facility Survey 2007–2008, India. Mumbai, 2010. Available from http://www.rchiips.org/PRCH-3.html. Accessed on 13 May, 2011.
- Impact of National Rural Health Mission on perinatal mortality in rural India
Volume 49, Issue 2 , pp 136-138
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Quality of care