Management of asymptomatic or incidental Meckel’s diverticulum
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study was conducted to compare the clinicopathologic characteristics of incidentally found and symptomatic cases of Meckel’s diverticulum with the aim of arriving at a recommendation regarding the management of incidental cases. A retrospective chart review was performed over a period of 24 years. Incidental group had 52 patients and symptomatic group had 128 patients(71%). Obstruction (42.9%) was the most common presentation, followed by diverticulitis (41.4%). Gastrointestinal hemorrhage was found in 33.6% and was commonly associated with obstruction. If the diverticulum has umbilical connection, mesodiverticular band or heterogeneous on palpation, and if patient has no contraindication for diverticulectomy, we advocate prophylactic resection to avoid future life threating complications.
- Bani-Hani KM, Shatnawi NJ. Meckel’s diverticulum: Comparison of incidental and symptomatic cases. World J Surg 2004; 28: 917–920. CrossRef
- St-Vil D, Brandt ML, Panic S, Bensoussan AL, Blanchard H. Meckel’s diverticulum in children: a 20-year review. J Pediatr Surg 1991; 26: 1289–1292. CrossRef
- Karabulut R, Sönmez K, Türkyılmaz Z, Demiroǧullari B, Özen IO, Başaklar AC, et al. A new index for resection of Meckel diverticula in children. Scand J Gastroenterol 2004; 39: 789–790. CrossRef
- Önen A, Çigdem MK, Öztürk H, Otçu S, Dokucu AÌ. When to resect and when not to resect an asymptomatic Meckel’s diverticulum: an ongoing challenge. Pediatr Surg Int 2003; 19: 57–61.
- Fa-Si-Oen PR, Roumen RM, Croiset van Uchelen FA. Complications and management of Meckel’s diverticulum-a review. Eur J Surg 1999; 165: 674–678. CrossRef
- Vane DW, West KW, Grosfeld JL. Vitelline duct anomalies. Experience with 217 childhood cases. Arch Surg 1987; 122: 542–547.
- Sai Prasad TR, Chui CH, Singaporewalla FR, Ong CPC, Low Y, Yap TL, et al. Meckel’s diverticular complications in children: is laparoscopy the order of the day? Pediatr Surg Int 2007; 23: 141–147. CrossRef
- Schropp KP. Meckel’s Diverticulum. In: Ashcraft KW, Holcomb III GW, Murphy JP. Pediatric Surgery. 4th edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2005. p. 553–557.
- Arnold JF, Pellicane JV. Meckel’s diverticulum: a ten-year experience. Am Surg 1997; 63: 354–355.
- Varcoe RL, Wong SW, Taylor CF, Newstead GL. Diverticulectomy is inadequate treatment for short Meckel’s diverticulum with heterotopic mucosa. ANZ J Surg 2004; 74: 869–872. CrossRef
- Management of asymptomatic or incidental Meckel’s diverticulum
Volume 47, Issue 12 , pp 1055-1057
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Intestinal obstruction
- Meckel’s diverticulum