Screening for celiac disease in diabetic children from Iran
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Celiac disease has been shown to be associated with type 1 diabetes mellitus. We conducted this study to determine the frequency of celiac disease in a group of Iranian diabetic children. Ninety-six patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus were tested for anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies. Six patients (6.25%) were seropositive, and histopathological changes were compatible with celiac disease in intestinal biopsy.
- Hill ID, Dirks MH, Liptak GS, Colletti RB, Fasano A, Guandalini S, et al; North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of celiac disease in children: recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2005; 40: 1–19. CrossRef
- Freemark M, Levitsky LL. Screening for celiac disease in children with type 1 diabetes: two views of the controversy. Diabetes Care 2003; 26: 1932–1939. CrossRef
- Ashabani A, Abushofa U, Abusrewill S, Abdelazez M, Tucková L, Tlaskalová-Hogenová H. The prevalence of coeliac disease in Libyan children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2003; 19: 69–75. CrossRef
- Collin P, Kaukinen K, Välimäki M, Salmi J. Endocrinological disorders and celiac disease. Endocr Rev 2002; 23: 464–483. CrossRef
- Holmes GKT. Coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes mellitus: the case for screening. Diabet Med 2001; 18: 169–177. CrossRef
- Yachha SK, Poddar U. Celiac disease in India. Indian J Gastroenterol 2007; 26: 230–237.
- Cataldo F, Montalto G. Celiac disease in the developing countries: a new and challenging public health problem. World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13: 2153–2159.
- Shahbazkhani B, Malekzadeh R, Sotoudeh M, Moghadam KF, Farhadi M, Ansari R, et al. High prevalence of coeliac disease in apparently healthy Iranian blood donors. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003; 15: 475–478. CrossRef
- Shahbazkhani B, Faezi T, Akbari MR, Mohamadnejad M, Sotoudeh M, Rajab A, et al. Coeliac disease in Iranian type I diabetic patients. Dig Liver Dis 2004; 36: 191–194. CrossRef
- Oberhuber G, Granditsch G, Vogelsang H. The histopathology of celiac disease: time for a standardized report scheme for pathologists. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1999; 11: 1185–1194. CrossRef
- Cronin CC, Feighery A, Ferriss JB, Liddy C, Shanahan F, Feighery C. High prevalence of celiac disease among patients with insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetes mellitus. Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92: 2210–2212.
- Barera G, Bonfanti R, Viscardi M, Bazzigaluppi E, Calori G, Meschi F, et al. Occurrence of celiac disease after onset of type 1 diabetes: a 6-year prospective longitudinal study. Pediatrics 2002; 109: 833–838. CrossRef
- Sigurs N, Johansson C, Elfstrand PO, Viander M, Lanner A. Prevalence of coeliac disease in diabetic children and adolescents in Sweden. Acta Paediatr 1993; 82: 748–751. CrossRef
- Akbari MR, Mohammadkhani A, Fakheri H, Javad Zahedi M, Shahbazkhani B, Nouraie M, et al. Screening of the adult population in Iran for coeliac disease: comparison of the tissue-transglutaminase antibody and anti-endomysial antibody tests. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 18: 1181–1186. CrossRef
- Screening for celiac disease in diabetic children from Iran
Volume 47, Issue 3 , pp 268-270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Celiac disease
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Departments of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- 3. Children’s Medical Center Hospital, 62 Qarib St, Keshavarz Blvd, Tehran, 14194, Iran
- 1. Growth and Development Research Center, Pediatrics Center of Excellence, Children’s Medical Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran