Improving Oxygen Conditions in the Deeper Parts of Bornholm Sea by Pumped Injection of Winter Water
Vertical diffusivity and oxygen consumption in the basin water, the water below the sill level at about 59 m depth, have been estimated by applying budget methods to monitoring data from hydrographical stations BY4 and BY5 for periods without water renewal. From the vertical diffusivity, the mean rate of work against the buoyancy forces below 65 m depth is estimated to about 0.10 mW m−2. This is slightly higher than published values for East Gotland Sea. The horizontally averaged vertical diffusivity κ can be approximated by the expression κ = a 0 N −1 where N is the buoyancy frequency and a 0 ≈ 1.25 × 10−7 m2 s−2, which is similar to values for a 0 used for depths below the halocline in Baltic proper circulation models for long-term simulations. The contemporary mean rate of oxygen consumption in the basin water is about 75 g O2 m−2 year−1, which corresponds to an oxidation of 28 g C m−2 year−1. The oxygen consumption in the Bornholm Basin doubled from the 1970s to the 2000s, which qualitatively explains the observed increasing frequency and vertical extent of anoxia and hypoxia in the basin water in records from the end of the 1950s to present time. A horizontally averaged vertical advection–diffusion model of the basin water is used to calculate the effects on stratification and oxygen concentration by a forced pump-driven vertical convection. It is shown that the residence time of the basin water may be reduced by pumping down and mixing the so-called winter water into the deepwater. With the present rate of oxygen consumption, a pumped flux of about 25 km3 year−1 would be sufficient to keep the oxygen concentration in the deepwater above 2 mL O2 L−1.
- Axell, LB (1998) On the variability of Baltic Sea deepwater mixing. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: pp. 21667-21682 CrossRef
- Conley, DJ (2012) Save the Baltic Sea. Nature 486: pp. 463-464 CrossRef
- Eilola, K. 1998. Oceanographic studies of the dynamics of freshwater, oxygen and nutrients in the Baltic Sea, PhD Thesis. Earth Sciences Centre Publ. A30, ISSN 1400-3813, Gothenburg, Sweden: University of Gothenburg.
- Fischer, H.B., J.E. List, C.R. Koh, J. Imberger, and N.H. Brooks. 1979. Mixing in inland and coastal waters, 483 pp. New York: Academic Press.
- Gargett, AE (1984) Vertical eddy diffusivity in the ocean interior. Journal of Marine Research 42: pp. 359-393 CrossRef
- Gustafsson, B.G. 2003. A time-dependent coupled-basin model of the Baltic Sea. Report no. C47, Earth Sciences Centre. Göteborg University, Göteborg, 61 pp.
- Gustafsson, BG, Andersson, HC (2001) Modeling the exchange of the Baltic Sea from the meridional atmospheric pressure difference across the North Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: pp. 19731-19744 CrossRef
- Gustafsson, B.G., and A. Stigebrandt. 2007. Dynamics of nutrients and oxygen/hydrogen sulphide in the Baltic Sea deepwater. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: G02023. doi:10.1029/2006JG00030.
- Hinrichsen, H-H, Voss, R, Wieland, K, Köster, F, Andersen, KH, Margonski, P (2007) Spatial and temporal heterogeneity of the cod spawning environment in the Bornholm Basin, Baltic Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 345: pp. 245-254 CrossRef
- Holtermann, P.L., L. Umlauf, O. Schmale, G. Rehder, T. Tanhua, and J. Waniek. 2011. The Baltic Sea Tracer Release Experiment. Part I: Mixing rates. Journal of Geophysical Research – Oceans. 117: C01021. ISSN 0148-0227. doi:10.1029/2011JC007439.
- Holtermann, PL, Umlauf, L (2012) The Baltic Sea Tracer Release Experiment: 2. Mixing processes. Journal of Geophysical Research 117: pp. C01022 CrossRef
- Lass, HU, Mohrholz, V, Seifert, T (2001) On the dynamics of the Pomeranian Bight. Continental Shelf Research 21: pp. 1237-1261 CrossRef
- Liljebladh, B., and A. Stigebrandt. 2000. The contribution from the surface layer via internal waves to the energetic of deepwater mixing in the Baltic. In Experimental studies of some physical oceanographic processes, ed. B. Liljebladh, PhD Thesis. Earth Sciences Centre, Publ. A56, ISSN 1400-3813. Gothenburg, Sweden: University of Gothenburg.
- Meier, HEM (2001) On the parameterization of mixing in three-dimensional Baltic Sea models. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: pp. 30997-31016 CrossRef
- Nohr, C, Gustafsson, BG (2009) Computations of energy for diapycnal mixing in the Baltic Sea due to internal wave drag acting on wind-driven barotropic currents. Oceanologia 51: pp. 461-494 CrossRef
- Omstedt, A. 2011. Guide to process based modeling of lakes and coastal seas, 258 pp. Berlin: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-17728-6.
- Sandén, P, Håkansson, B (1996) Long-term trends in Secchi depth in the Baltic Sea. Limnology and Oceanography 41: pp. 346-351 CrossRef
- Schinke, H, Matthäus, W (1998) On the causes of major Baltic inflows—an analysis of long time series. Continental Shelf Research 18: pp. 67-97 CrossRef
- Seifert, T., F. Tauber, and B. Kayser. 2001. A high resolution spherical grid topography of the Baltic Sea, revised version. Paper presented at Baltic Sea Science Congress, November 25–29, Stockholm, Sweden, Leibniz-Inst. für Ostseeforschung, Warnemünde, Germany. www.io-warnemuende.de.
- Stigebrandt, A (1976) Vertical diffusion driven by internal waves in a sill fjord. Journal of Physical Oceanography 6: pp. 486-495 CrossRef
- Stigebrandt, A (1987) Computations of the flow of dense water into the Baltic Sea from hydrographical measurements in the Arkona Basin. Tellus 39A: pp. 170-177 CrossRef
- Stigebrandt, A (1987) A model for the vertical circulation of the Baltic deep water. Journal of Physical Oceanography 17: pp. 1772-1785 CrossRef
- Stigebrandt, A. 2012. Hydrodynamics and circulation of fjords. In Encyclopedia of lakes and reservoirs, ed. L. Bengtsson, R.W. Herschy, and R.W. Fairbridge. doi:10.1007/978-1-4020-4410-6.
- Stigebrandt, A, Aure, J (1989) Vertical mixing in basin waters of fjords. Journal of Physical Oceanography 19: pp. 917-926 CrossRef
- Stigebrandt, A., and B.G. Gustafsson. 2007. Improvement of Baltic proper water quality using large-scale ecological engineering. AMBIO 36: 280–286.
- Lee, EM, Umlauf, L (2011) Internal wave mixing in the Baltic Sea: Near-inertial waves in the absence of tides. Journal of Geophysical Research 116: pp. C10016 CrossRef
- Improving Oxygen Conditions in the Deeper Parts of Bornholm Sea by Pumped Injection of Winter Water
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 42, Issue 5 , pp 587-595
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Oxygen consumption
- Vertical diffusivity