Effects of Scutellaria barbata on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in mice
Scutellaria barbata (S. barbata) is a perennial herb that is used to treat types of cancer, inflammation and urinary disease throughout Asia. Cisplatin is known as one of the most active cytotoxic anti-cancer drug. However, the nephrotoxicity which is the side-effect of cisplatin limits the use of it. In the present research, we examine whether S. barbata has protective effects on cisplatin induced acute renal failure in mice. S. barbata was administrated by oral once a day for three days (300 mg/kg body wt). After three days, all groups of mice received a single dose of cisplatin at 25 mg/kg (body wt) intra peritoneally. S. barbata pretreatment ameliorated renal dysfunction at 72 h after cisplatin injection. Compared to the control group, S. barbata pretreated group had significantly reduced the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and less tubular injury. These results confirm that S. barbata is a potent herbal medicine that reduces cisplatin nephrotoxicity and prevents the renal toxic effects of cisplatin.
- Wang, D. & Lippard, S. J. Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discov 4:307–320 (2005). CrossRef
- Pabla, N. & Dong, Z. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: mechanisms and renoprotective strategies. Kidney Int 73:994–1007 (2008). CrossRef
- Ries, F. & Klastersky, J. Nephrotoxicity induced by cancer chemotherapy with special emphasis on cisplatin toxicity. Am J Kidney Dis 8:368–379 (1986).
- Luke, D. R., Vadiei, K. & Lopez-Berestein, G. Role of vascular congestion in cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in the rat. Nephrol Dial Transplant 7:1–7 (1992).
- Ramesh, G. & Reeves, W. B. TNF-alpha mediates chemokine and cytokine expression and renal injury in cisplatin nephrotoxicity. J Clin Invest 110:835–842 (2002).
- Davis, C. A., Nick, H. S. & Agarwal, A. Manganese superoxide dismutase attenuates Cisplatin-induced renal injury: importance of superoxide. J Am Soc Nephrol 12:2683–2690 (2001).
- Ramesh, G. & Reeves, W. B. Inflammatory cytokines in acute renal failure. Kidney Int Suppl S5:6–61 (2004).
- Faubel, S. et al. Cisplatin-induced acute renal failure is associated with an increase in the cytokines interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-18, IL-6, and neutrophil infiltration in the kidney. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 322:8–15 (2007). CrossRef
- Ajith, T. A., Nivitha, V. & Usha, S. Zingiber officinale Roscoe alone and in combination with alpha-tocopherol protect the kidney against cisplatin-induced acute renal failure. Food Chem Toxicol 45:921–927 (2007). CrossRef
- Fatima, S., Arivarasu, N. A. & Mahmood, R. Vitamin C attenuates cisplatin-induced alterations in renal brush border membrane enzymes and phosphate transport. Hum Exp Toxicol 26:419–426 (2007). CrossRef
- Kuhad, A. et al. Effect of curcumin on inflammation and oxidative stress in cisplatin-induced experimental nephrotoxicity. J Agric Food Chem 55:10150–10155 (2007). CrossRef
- Fong, S. et al. Molecular mechanisms underlying selective cytotoxic activity of BZL101, an extract of Scutellaria barbata, towards breast cancer cells. Cancer Biol Ther 7:577–586 (2008).
- Perez, R. P. Cellular and molecular determinants of cisplatin resistance. Eur J Cancer 34:1535–1542 (1998). CrossRef
- Shen, T. et al. Effect of hot water extract from Scutellaria barbata on the macrophages activated by lipopolysaccharide. Korea J Medicinal Crop Sci 16:313–319 (2008).
- Matsushima, H. et al. The role of oxygen free radicals in cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in rats. J Lab Clin Med 131:518–526 (1998). CrossRef
- Lau, A. H. Apoptosis induced by cisplatin nephrotoxic injury. Kidney Int 56:1295–1298 (1999). CrossRef
- Bae, H. et al. Screening of herbal medicines for the recovery of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 28:206–212 (2009). CrossRef
- Sung, M. J. et al. Genistein protects the kidney from cisplatin-induced injury. Kidney Int 74:1538–1547 (2008). CrossRef
- Negishi, K. et al. A role of liver fatty acid-binding protein in cisplatin-induced acute renal failure. Kidney Int 72:348–358 (2007). CrossRef
- Ramesh, G. & Reeves, W. B. p38 MAP kinase inhibition ameliorates cisplatin nephrotoxicity in mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:166–174 (2005). CrossRef
- Simmons, E. M. et al. Plasma cytokine levels predict mortality in patients with acute renal failure. Kidney Int 65:1357–1365 (2004). CrossRef
- Effects of Scutellaria barbata on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in mice
Molecular & Cellular Toxicology
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 255-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Society of Toxicogenomics and Toxicoproteomics
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physiology, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 130-701, Korea
- 2. Department of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, Jaseng Hospital of Oriental Medicine, Seoul, 135-896, Korea