Predicting Additive and Non-additive Genetic Effects from Trials Where Traits Are Affected by Interplot Competition
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There are two key types of selection in a plant breeding program, namely selection of hybrids for potential commercial use and the selection of parents for use in future breeding. Oakey et al. (in Theoretical and Applied Genetics 113, 809–819, 2006) showed how both of these aims could be achieved using pedigree information in a mixed model analysis in order to partition genetic effects into additive and non-additive effects. Their approach was developed for field trial data subject to spatial variation. In this paper we extend the approach for data from trials subject to interplot competition. We show how the approach may be used to obtain predictions of pure stand additive and non-additive effects. We develop the methodology in the context of a single field trial using an example from an Australian sorghum breeding program.
- Beeck, C., Cowling, W., Smith, A., and Cullis, B. (2010), “Analysis of Yield and Oil From a Series of Canola Breeding Trials. Part I: Fitting Factor Analytic Models With Pedigree Information,” Genome, 53, 992–1001. CrossRef
- Besag, J., and Kempton, R. A. (1986), “Statistical Analysis of Field Experiments Using Neighbouring Plots,” Biometrics, 42, 231–251. CrossRef
- Burgueno, J., Crossa, J., Cornelius, P. L., McLaren, G., Trethowan, R., and Krishnamachari, A. (2007), “Modeling Additive × Environment and Additive × Additive × Environment Using Genetic Covariances of Relatives of Wheat Genotypes,” Crop Science, 47, 311–320. CrossRef
- Butler, D. G., Cullis, B. R., Gilmour, A. R., and Gogel, B. J. (2009), “ASReml-R Reference Manual Release 3,” Technical report, QLD Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Brisbane, QLD.
- Crossa, J., de los Campos, G., Perez, P., Gianola, D., Burgueno, J., Araus, J. L., Makumbi, D., Singh, R. P., Dreisigacker, S., Yan, J., Arief, V., Banziger, M., and Braun, H.-J. (2010), “Prediction of Genetic Values of Quantitative Traits in Plant Breeding Using Pedigree and Molecular Markers,” Genetics, 186, 713–724. CrossRef
- Cullis, B., Smith, A., Beeck, C., and Cowling, W. (2010), “Analysis of Yield and Oil From a Series of Canola Breeding Trials. Part II: Exploring VxE Using Factor Analysis,” Genome, 53, 1002–1016. CrossRef
- Cullis, B. R., Smith, A. B., and Coombes, N. E. (2006), “On the Design of Early Generation Variety Trials With Correlated Data,” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 11, 381–393. CrossRef
- Draper, N. R., and Guttman, I. (1980), “Incorporating Overlap Effects From Neighbouring Units Into Response Surface Models,” Applied Statistics, 29, 128–134. CrossRef
- Gilmour, A. R., Cullis, B. R., and Verbyla, A. P. (1997), “Accounting for Natural and Extraneous Variation in the Analysis of Field Experiments,” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 2, 269–293. CrossRef
- Henderson, C. (1976), “A Simple Method for Computing the Inverse of a Numerator Relationship Matrix Used in the Prediction of Breeding Values,” Biometrics, 32, 69–83. CrossRef
- Hunt, C., and Jordan, D. (2009), “Competition Effects in Sorghum Breeding Trials,” in 14th Australasian Plant Breeding Conference, SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics, Cairns, Australia.
- Meuwissen, T. H. E., and Luo, Z. (1992), “Computing Inbreeding Coefficients in Large Populations,” Genetics, Selection and Evolution, 24, 269–293. CrossRef
- Oakey, H., Verbyla, A., Cullis, B., Wei, X., and Pitchford, W. (2007), “Joint Modelling of Additive and Non-additive (Genetic Line) Effects in Multi-environment Trials,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 114, 1319–1332. CrossRef
- Oakey, H., Verbyla, A., Pitchford, W., Cullis, B., and Kuchel, H. (2006), “Joint Modelling of Additive and Non-additive Genetic Line Effects in Single Field Trials,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 113, 809–819. CrossRef
- Piepho, H. P., Möhring, J., Melchinger, A. E., and Büchse, A. (2008), “BLUP for Phenotypic Selection in Plant Breeding and Variety Testing,” Euphytica, 161, 209–228. CrossRef
- R Development Core Team (2008), R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna. ISBN:3-900051-07-0, http://www.R-project.org.
- Smith, A. B., Cullis, B. R., and Thompson, R. (2005), “The Analysis of Crop Cultivar Breeding and Evaluation Trials: An Overview of Current Mixed Model Approaches,” Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge, 143, 449–462. CrossRef
- Stefanova, K. T., Smith, A. B., and Cullis, B. R. (2009), “Enhanced Diagnostics for the Spatial Analysis of Field Trials,” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 14, 392–410. CrossRef
- Stringer, J. (2006), “Joint Modelling of Spatial Variability and Interplot Competition to Improve the Efficiency of Plant Improvement,” PhD thesis, The University of Qld, Brisbane.
- Stringer, J., Cullis, B., and Thompson, R. (2011), “Joint Modeling of Spatial Variability and Within-Row Interplot Competition to Increase the Efficiency of Plant Improvement,” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 16, 269–281. CrossRef
- Stringer, J. K., and Cullis, B. R. (2002), “Application of Spatial Analysis Techniques to Adjust for Fertility Trends and Identify Interplot Competition in Early Stage Sugarcane Selection Trials,” Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 53, 911–918. CrossRef
- Thompson, R., Cullis, B. R., Smith, A. B., and Gilmour, A. R. (2003), “A Sparse Implementation of the Average Information Algorithm for Factor Analytic and Reduced Rank Variance Models,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 45, 445–460. CrossRef
- Predicting Additive and Non-additive Genetic Effects from Trials Where Traits Are Affected by Interplot Competition
Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 53-63
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Mixed models
- Statistical analysis
- Spatial trends
- Pure stand
- Pedigree information
- Parental effects
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Hermitage Research Station, 604 Yangan Rd, Warwick, Qld, 4370, Australia
- 2. The University of Queensland School of Agriculture and Food Science, Brisbane, Australia
- 3. School of Mathematics and Applied Statistics, Faculty of Informatics, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, Australia
- 4. Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation, Hermitage Research Station, 604 Yangan Rd, Warwick, Qld, 4370, Australia
- 5. Mathematics Informatics and Statistics, CSIRO, Clayton, Australia