Bayes Neutral Zone Classifiers With Applications to Nonparametric Unsupervised Settings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Neutral zone classifiers allow for a region of neutrality when there is inadequate information to assign a predicted class with suitable confidence. A neutral zone classifier is defined by classification regions that trade off the cost of an incorrect classification against the cost of remaining neutral. In this paper, we derive a Bayes neutral zone classifier and demonstrate that it outperforms previous neutral zone classifiers with respect to the expected cost of misclassifications and also with respect to computational complexity. We apply the neutral zone classifier to a microbial community profiling application in which no training data are available, thereby illustrating how it can be extended to unsupervised settings. This article has supplementary material online.
- Aach, J., and Church, G. M. J. (2004), “Mathematical Models of Diffusion-Constrained Polymerase Chain Reactions: Basis of High-Throughput Nucleic Acid Assays and Simple Self-organizing Systems,” Theoretical Biology, 228 (1), 31–46. CrossRef
- Benaglia, T., Chauveau, D., and Hunter, D. R. (2009a), “An eM-Like Algorithm for Semi- and Non-parametric Estimation in Multivariate Mixtures,” Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 18 (2), 505–526. CrossRef
- Benaglia, T., Chauveau, D., and Hunter, D. R. (2009b), “Bandwidth Selection in an eM-Like Algorithm for Nonparametric Multivariate Mixtures,” in Nonparametrics Statistics and Mixture Models, eds. D. R. Hunter, D. S. P. Richards, and J. L. Rosenberger, Singapore: World Scientific, pp. 15–27.
- Castelli, V., and Cover, T. (1995), “On the Exponential Value of Labeled Samples,” Pattern Recognition Letters, 16, 105–111. CrossRef
- Habbema, J. D. F., Hermans, J., and Van Der Burgt, A. T. (1974), “Cases of Doubt in Allocation Problems,” Biometrika, 61, 313–324. CrossRef
- Hastie, T., Tibshirani, R., and Friedman, J. (2001), The Elements of Statistical Learning, New York: Springer.
- Jeske, D. R., Liu, Z., Bent, E., and Borneman, J. (2007), “Classification Rules That Include Neutral Zones and Their Application to Microbial Community Profiling,” Communications in Statistics. Theory and Methods, 36, 10 1965–1980. CrossRef
- Johnson, R. A., and Wichern, D. W. (2007), Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis, Upple Saddle River: Prentice Hall.
- Mitra, R. D., and Church, G. M. (1999), “In Situ Localized Amplification and Contact Replication of Many Individual DNA Molecules,” Nucleic Acids Research, 27 (24), e34. CrossRef
- Rao, C. R. (1947), “The Problem of Classification and Distance Between Two Populations”, Nature, 30–31.
- Valinsky, L., Vedova, G. D., Jiang, T., and Borneman, J. (2002a), “Oligonucleotide Fingerprinting of RRNA Genes for Analysis of Fungal Community Composition,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 68 (12), 5999–6004. CrossRef
- Valinsky, L., Vedova, G. D., Scumpham, A. J., Alvey, S., Figueroa, A., Yin, B., Hartin, J., Chrobak, M., Crowley, D. E., Jiang, T., and Borneman, J. (2002b), “Analysis of Bacterial Community Composition by Oligonucleotide Fingerprinting of RRNA Genes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 68 (7), 3243–3250. CrossRef
- Yu, H., Jeske, D. R., Ruegger, P., and Borneman, J. (2010), “A Three-Class Neutral Zone Classifier Using a Decision-Theoretic Approach With Application to DNA Array Analyses,” Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics, 15, 474–490. CrossRef
- Bayes Neutral Zone Classifiers With Applications to Nonparametric Unsupervised Settings
Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 39-52
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Microbial community profiling
- Nonparametric mixture model
- Unlabeled data
- Neutral zone classifiers