Distribution and cytology of Quercus baloot Griff.; an endemic tree species of North-West Himalayas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Quercus baloot Griff. (Fagaceae) an important tree species, found in Jammu region of J & K State, India was studied for distribution and cytology. In this region, the wild stands of this species have been located at Thatri, Shalimar, Dool, Bhandarkot and Kishtwar High Altitude National Park (KHANP) areas of Kishtwar district and Sindra, Balessa, Prano, Bhalla, Chinta, Nalthi and Jai in Bhaderwah area of Doda district. Karyotypic analysis on the species collected from Sindra revealed the presence of 2n = 24 very small sized chromosomes. Of these, 2 were median and 22 were submedian. Meiosis in pollen mother cells of the species at diakinesis revealed the presence of multivalents plus bivalents in 25 % cells and 12 bivalents in 75 % cells. At metaphase-I, 12 bivalents were present. Segregation was regular at anaphase-I and pollen stainability as determined by using 1 % acetocarmine and 2, 3, 5, triphenyl tetrazolium chloride was found to be 81.5 % and 45.92 % respectively.
- Alamgir KG. A study on the condition, use, management and trends of major forest types in Chitral District. Report on Chitral conservation strategy and IUCN Sarhad Program. 2004;pp. 111.
- Bedi, YS, Gill, BS, Bir, SS (1985) Cytological evolution in the woody taxa of Gamopetalae and Monochlamydeae. J Cytol Genet 20: pp. 162-203
- Brandis D. The forest flora of North-West and central India; a hand book of the indigenous trees and shrubs of those countries prepared at herbarium of the Royal Gardens, Kew. Reprinted by Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, Dehradun. 1972.
- Burnham, CR (1956) Chromosomal interchanges in plants. Bot Rev 22: pp. 419-552 CrossRef
- D’Emerico, S, Balanco, P, Medagli, P, Schirone, B (1993) Karyotype analysis in Quercus spp. (Fagaceae). Silvae Genet 44: pp. 66-70
- Darlington, CD, Wylie, AP (1955) Chromosome atlas of flowering plants. George Allen and Unwin Ltd., London
- Denk, T, Grim, GW (2010) The oaks of western Eurasia: traditional classification and evidences from two nuclear markers. Taxon 59: pp. 351-366
- Duffield, WJ (1940) Chromosome counts in Quercus. Am J Bot 27: pp. 787-788 CrossRef
- Jovanovic, M, Tucovic, A (1975) Genetics of common and sessile oaks (Quercus robur L. and petraea Liebl.). Ann Forestales 7: pp. 23-53
- Khan, N, Ahmed, M, Wahab, M, Ajaib, M (2010) Phytosociology, structure and physiochemical analysis of soil in Quercus baloot Griff, District Chitral Pakistan. Pak J Bot 42: pp. 2429-2441
- Khurram M. Studies on the isolation and characterization of secondary metabolites from Dodonaea viscose and Quercus baloot and their potential as antibacterial agents. Ph.D. Thesis. Islamabad: Quaid-I-Azam University; 2010.
- Mehra, PN, Hans, AS, Sareen, TS (1972) Cytomorphology of Himalayan Fagaceae. Silvae Genet 21: pp. 102-109
- Natividate, JV (1937) Investigacoes nalgumas species e hybridos do genero Quercus. Bot Soc Brot 12: pp. 21-85
- Romero, ZC (1986) A new method for estimating karyotype asymmetry. Taxon 35: pp. 526-530 CrossRef
- Sax, HJ (1930) Chromosome number in Quercus. Arnold Arbor 11: pp. 220-223
- Stairs, GR (1964) Microsporogenesis and embryogenesis in Quercus. Bot Gaz 125: pp. 115-121 CrossRef
- Stebbins, GL (1971) Chromosomal evolution in higher plants. Edward Arnold, London
- Tutasuk VH, Turchaninova LV. About the chromosome number of Quercus castaneifolia C A M Dokl Akad Nauk Azerbajdzansk S S R. 1968;24:47–50.
- Vignoli, L (1933) Studio citologico sul genere Quercus. Lav R Ist Bot Palermo 4: pp. 25-39
- Yilmaz, A, Emel, U, Babac, T (2011) Cytogenetic studies on Quercus L. (Fagaceae) species belonging to Ilex and Cerris section in Turkey. Caryologia 64: pp. 297-301
- Distribution and cytology of Quercus baloot Griff.; an endemic tree species of North-West Himalayas
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 191-195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Karyotype analysis
- Quercus baloot