Preparation and biocompatibility study of gelatin/kappa-carrageenan scaffolds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Novel porous scaffolds composed of gelatin/κ-carrageenan (GC) were fabricated by freeze-drying followed by chemical cross-linking with 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)carbodiimide (EDC). The morphology of the insoluble GC sponges was examined by field emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM). The porosity of the GC sponge increased with increasing kappa-carrageenan content. Implantation of a GC sponge into the subcutaneous connective tissue of Wistar rats confirmed that the scaffold was biodegradable. Fibroblasts infiltrated into the sponge matrix, and regenerated collagen in the matrix to a level of 25% at 14 days after surgery. The C-reactive protein level in the blood samples also showed a similar result. The blood and histological results show that the GC sponges have good biocompatibility and low antigenicity indicating that they would be safe and effective tissue engineering scaffolds.
- K. G. Birukov, V. P. Shirinsky, O. V. Stepanova, V. A. Tkachuk, A. W. A. Hahn, T. J. Resink, and V. N. Smirnov, Mol. Cell. Biochem., 144, 131 (1995). CrossRef
- K. Kanda and T. Matsuda, Cell Transplant, 2, 475 (1993).
- P. Reusch, H. Wagdy, R. Reusch, E. Wilson, and H. E. Ives, Circ. Res., 79, 1046 (1996).
- B. E. Sumpio, A. J. Banes, W. G. Link, and G. Jr. Johnson, Arch. Surg., 123, 1233 (1988).
- M. E. Nimni, D. Cheung, B. Strates, M. Kodama, and K. Skeikh, J. Biomed. Mat. Res., 21, 741 (1987). CrossRef
- Y. S. Choi, S. R. Hong, Y. M. Lee, K. W. Song, M. H. Park, and Y. S. Nam, Biomaterials, 20, 409 (1999). CrossRef
- Y. S. Choi, S. R. Hong, Y. M. Lee, K. W. Song, M. H. Park, and Y. S. Nam, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 48, 631 (1999). CrossRef
- Y. S. Choi, S. B. Lee, S. R. Hong, Y. M. Lee, K.W. Song, M. H. Park, and Y. S. Nam, J. Mater. Sci-Mater. M., 11, 1 (2001).
- S. R. Hong, S. J. Lee, J. W. Shim, Y. S. Choi, Y. M. Lee, K. W. Song, M. H. Park, Y. S. Nam, and S. I. Lee, Biomaterials, 22, 2777 (2001). CrossRef
- J. S. Mao, L. G. Zhao, Y. J. Yiu, and K. D. Yao, Biomaterials, 24, 1067 (2003). CrossRef
- B. Diehl-Seifert, B. Kurelec, R. K. Zahn, A. Dorn, B. Jericevic, G. Uhlenbruck, and W. E. G. Mueller, J. Cell Sci., 79, 271 (1985).
- B. Alberts, D. Bray, J. Lewis, M. Raff, K. Roberts, and J. D. Watson, The Molecular Biology of the Cell, Garland Publishers, 1994, pp 971–990.
- K. Tomihata, K. Burczak, K. Shiraki, and Y. Ikada, in Polymers of Biological and Biomedical Importance, S. W. Shalaby, Y. Ikada, R. S. Langer, and J. Williams, Eds., American Chemical Society Symp Series, 1994, Vol. 540.
- S. Meier and E. D. Hay, Dev. Biol., 38, 249 (1974). CrossRef
- G. O. Gey, M. Svoelis, M. Foard, and F. B. Bang, Exp. Cell. Res., 84, 63 (1974). CrossRef
- K. T. Nijenhuis, Carrageenans, Thermoreversible Networks, Springer, Berlin, 1997, pp 203–252.
- N. P. Ziats, K. M. Miller, and J. M. Anderson, Biomaterials, 9, 5 (1988). CrossRef
- E. Jablonska, J. Jablonski, and W. E. Holownink, Immunol. Lett., 70, 191 (1999). CrossRef
- W. S. Tillett and T. Francis, J. Exp. Med., 52, 561 (1930). CrossRef
- T. J. Abernathy and O. T. Avery, J. Exp. Med., 73, 173 (1941). CrossRef
- C. M. Macleod and O. T. Avery, J. Exp. Med., 73, 183 (1941). CrossRef
- V. Kolb-Bachofen, Immunobiology, 183, 133 (1991).
- M. Lelong, M. F. Renard, and V. Giraudeaux, Clin. Chim. Acta., 288, 147 (1999). CrossRef
- Preparation and biocompatibility study of gelatin/kappa-carrageenan scaffolds
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 29-34
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Polymer Society of Korea
- Additional Links
- tissue engineering
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Radiation Research Division for Industry & Environment, Advanced Radiation Technology Institute, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Jeollabuk-do, 580-185, Korea
- 2. School of Chemical Engineering, College of Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, 133-791, Korea
- 3. Department of Oral Biology & Institute of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 130-701, Korea