Role of Intrapartum Transcervical Amnioinfusion in Patients with Meconium-Stained Amniotic Fluid
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The study was undertaken to evaluate maternal, perinatal outcomes following transcervical intrapartum amnioinfusion in women with meconium-stained amniotic fluid.
A prospective comparative study was conducted on 100 women with meconium-stained amniotic fluid in labor. Group A: study group (50 cases) received amnioinfusion. Group B: control group (50 cases) did not receive amnioinfusion. FHR monitoring was done using cardiotocography.
Significant relief from variable decelerations was seen in 68.18 % cases in the amnioinfusion group as compared to 7.1 % cases in the control group. 78 % cases who were given amnioinfusion had vaginal delivery as compared to 18 % cases in the control group. Fourteen percent cases in the study group had cesarean delivery as compared to 68 % cases in the control group. Meconium aspiration syndrome was seen in six percent neonates in the study group as compared to 20 % in the control group. Two neonates died in the control group due to meconium aspiration syndrome. There was no maternal mortality or major maternal complication.
Intrapartum transcervical amnioinfusion is valuable in patients with meconium-stained amniotic fluid.
- Wenstrom KD, Parsons MT. The prevention of meconium aspiration in labor using amnioinfusion. Obstet Gynecol. 1989;73(4):647–51.
- Hofmeyr GJ. Amnioinfusion for meconium-stained liquor in labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(1):CD000014.
- Fraser WD, Hofmeyr J, Lede R, et al. Amnioinfusion Trial Group. Amnioinfusion for the prevention of the meconium aspiration syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2005;353(9):909–17. CrossRef
- Mahomed K, Mulambo T, Woelk G, et al. The collaborative randomised amnioinfusion for meconium project (CRAMP): 2. Zimbabwe. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1998;105(3):309–13. CrossRef
- Surbek DV, Hösli IM, Pavic N, et al. Transcervical intrapartum amnioinfusion: a simple and effective technique. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1997;75(2):123–6. CrossRef
- Puertas A, Paz Carrillo M, Moltó L, et al. Meconium-stained amniotic fluid in labor: a randomized trial of prophylactic amniofusion. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001;99(1):33–7. CrossRef
- Abdel-Aleem H, Amin AF, Shokry M, et al. Therapeutic amnioinfusion for intrapartum fetal distress using a pediatric feeding tube. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2005;90(2):94–8. CrossRef
- Rathor AM, Singh R, Ramji S, et al. Randomized trial of amnioinfusion during labour with meconium stained amniotic fluid. BJOG. 2002;109(1):17–20. CrossRef
- Das AK, Jana N, Dasgupta S, et al. Intrapartum transcervical amnioinfusion for meconium-stained amniotic fluid. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007;97(3):182–6. CrossRef
- Role of Intrapartum Transcervical Amnioinfusion in Patients with Meconium-Stained Amniotic Fluid
The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India
Volume 63, Issue 1 , pp 59-63
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, ESI-PGIMSR, New Delhi, India
- 2. 138, DDA Flats, (SFS), Pocket B, Mount Kailash, East of Kailash, New Delhi, 110065, India
- 3. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kasturba Hospital, New Delhi, India