Date: 23 Nov 2012
A Papillary Thyroid Tumor Detected by 18F-FDG-PET/CT in a Pediatric Patient with Cowden Syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We describe a papillary thyroid tumor detected by fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography (18F-FDG-PET/CT) in a 11-year-old male patient with Cowden syndrome. 18F-FDG-PET/CT was performed for restaging of a germ cell tumor previously treated. A focal area of increased 18F-FDG uptake in the right thyroid lobe was detected. Based on this PET/CT finding, the patient underwent an ultrasonography guided fine needle aspiration biopsy which showed the presence of a papillary thyroid carcinoma. In this rare case of Cowden syndrome 18F-FDG-PET/CT has been useful in the early detection of a pediatric thyroid cancer (Figs. 1 and 2).
We report the case of a 11-year-old male patient affected by Cowden syndrome (CS) which is a rare inherited disorder characterized by multiple hamartomas and an increased risk of certain forms of cancer . The patient underwent fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography (18F-FDG-PET/CT...
Bertagna F, Treglia G, Piccardo A, et al. Diagnostic and clinical significance of F-18-FDG-PET/CT thyroid incidentalomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012. doi:10.1210/jc.2012-2390.
Treglia G, Giovanella L, Bertagna F, et al. A pooled analysis to calculate the prevalence and risk of malignancy of thyroid incidentalomas detected by Fluorine-18-Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Thyroid. 2012. doi:10.1089/thy.2012-0216.
- A Papillary Thyroid Tumor Detected by 18F-FDG-PET/CT in a Pediatric Patient with Cowden Syndrome
Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
Volume 47, Issue 2 , pp 143-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Nuclear Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Largo A.Gemelli, 8, 00168, Rome, Italy
- 2. School of Medicine, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
- 3. Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
- 4. Nuclear Medicine and PET/CT Center, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, Bellinzona, Switzerland