Embryonic stem cells: are useful in clinic treatments?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is not uncommon to find statements in the social media and even in some scientific journals declaring that embryonic stem cells can be used in human medicine for therapeutic purposes. In our opinion, this statement does not fit the medical reality. To go into this subject in depth, and if possible to clarify it, we reviewed the most recent literature on clinical trials conducted with embryonic stem cells, concluding that up to the present time, there is only one ongoing clinical trial being carried out with these types of cells to treat a small group of patients with spinal cord injury. The results of this trial have still not been published. In conclusion, at present, there is only evidence of one phase I clinical trial conducted with embryonic stem cells, in comparison to the numerous trials conducted with adult stem cells.
- Alper, J (2009) Geron gets green light for human trial of ES cell-derived product. Nat Biotechnol 27: pp. 213-214 CrossRef
- Amariglio, N, Hirshberg, A, Scheithauer, BW (2009) Donor-derived brain tumor following neural stem cell transplantation in an ataxia telangiectasia patient. PLoS Med 6: pp. e1000029 CrossRef
- Burt, RK, Loh, Y, Pearce, W (2008) Clinical applications of blood-derived and marrow-derived stem cells for nonmalignant diseases. JAMA 299: pp. 925-936 CrossRef
- Chidgey, AP (2008) Tolerance strategies for stem-cell-based therapies. Nature 453: pp. 330-337 CrossRef
- Enserink, M (2006) Selling the stem cell dream. Science 313: pp. 160-163 CrossRef
- Fox, JL (2008) FDA scrutinizes human stem cell therapies. Nat Biotechnol 26: pp. 598-599 CrossRef
- Geron (2009) Geron receives FDA clearance to begin world’s first human clinical trial of embryonic stem cell-based therapy. http://www.geron.com/media/pressview.aspx?id=1148. Accessed 29 Sept 2009
- Hadassah Medical Organization (2009) Derivation of new human embryonic stem cell lines for clinical use. This study is currently recruiting participants. September 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT 00353210
- Hadassah Medical Organization (2009) Derivation of new human embryonic stem cell lines for clinical use. This study is currently recruiting participants. September 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT 00581152
- Herderson M (2009) Stem-cell deal raises hopes of finding cure for blindness. Times. Online 24 April 2009
- http://www.stemcellresearch.org/facts/CheckTheScore.pdf Adult stem cells vs. embryonic stem cells. Benefits in human patients (from peer-reviewed studies). Updated11 Apr 2007.
- Klimanskaya, I, Rosenthal, N, Laura, R (2008) Derive and conquer: sourcing and differentiating stem cells for therapeutic applications. Nat Rev 7: pp. 131-142 CrossRef
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (2009) Molecular characterization of neuroblastic tumor: correlation with clinical outcome. This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. July 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: 00588068
- Monash University (2009) Evaluation of circulating levels of adult stem cells in the peripheral blood of patients with acute decompensated heart failure and following stabilization, in comparison with healthy volunteers. This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. December 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier. NCT 01027403
- National Cancer Institute (2008) Studying breast stem cells from patients with cancer and from healthy individuals. This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. August 2008. www.clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NTC 00900315
- National Institutes of Health (2009) Isolation and characterization in mammary stem cells. This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. December 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT 00340392
- Prentice, D (2004) Adult stem cells. Appendix K in monitoring stem cell research: a report of the President’s Council on Bioethics. GPO, Washington, DC
- Prentice, D, Tarne, G (2007) Treating diseases with adult stem cells. Science 315: pp. 328 CrossRef
- Royan Institute. Patient-specific induced pluripotency stem cells (PSiPS). This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. August 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT 00953693
- Tabar, V (2008) Therapeutic cloning in individual parkinsonian mice. Nat Med.
- University of California (2007) The role of TBX3 in human ES cell differentiation. This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. December 2007. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT 00581152
- University of Miami (2009) The transendocardial autologous cells (hMSC or hBMC) in ischemic heart failure trial (TAC-HFT). This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. April 2009. www.clinicaltrials.gov. Identifier: NCT: 007680066
- Wadman, M (2009) Human embryonic stem cell trial wins approval. Nature News.
- www.clinicaltrials.gov. A service of the U.S. National Institute of Health. Registry of federally and privately supported clinical trials conducted in the United States and around the world. Accessed 30 October 2010
- Embryonic stem cells: are useful in clinic treatments?
Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry
Volume 67, Issue 1 , pp 141-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Embryonic stems cells
- iPS cells
- Adult stems cells
- Clinical usefulness
- Industry Sectors