Extremely late (7 years) paclitaxel-eluting stent thrombosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the last decade percutaneous coronary interventions (PCI) with drug-eluting stents (DES) have reduced significantly restenosis rates. Therefore, DES have become the standard of care and most widely used for the treatment of atherosclerotic coronary artery disease . Very late stent thrombosis (VLST), defined as stent thrombosis at the site of PCI 1 year after stent deployment by the Academic Research Consortium, has been recognized as a DES implantation complication . It has been related to delayed arterial healing and positive vessel remodelling, leading to late-acquired stent malapposition and incomplete reendothelization [3, 4]. Second-generation DES are associated with lower rates of stent thrombosis , but VLST up to 5 years has been widely described in first-generation DES (sirolimus and paclitaxel DES) [6–8], and even extremely cases (7–8 years) have been communicated with sirolimus DES (SES) implantation after antiplatelet therapy cessation [9, 10]. Nevert ...
- Serruys PW, Kutryk MJ, Ong AT. Coronary-artery stents. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(5):483–95. CrossRef
- Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R, Boam A, Cohen DJ, van Es GA, et al. Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Acad Res Consort Circulation. 2007;115(17):2344–51.
- Otsuka F, Nakano M, Ladich E, Kolodgie FD, Virmani R. Pathologic etiologies of late and very late stent thrombosis following first-generation drug-eluting stent placement. Thrombosis. 2012;2012:608593. CrossRef
- Cook S, Wenaweser P, Togni M, Billinger M, Morger C, Seiler C, et al. Incomplete stent apposition and very late stent thrombosis after drug-eluting stent implantation. Circulation. 2007;115(18):2426–34. CrossRef
- De la Torre Hernández JM, Alfonso F, Gimeno F, Diarte JA, Lopez-Palop R, de Pérez Prado A, et al. Thrombosis of second-generation drug-eluting stents in real practice results from the multicenter Spanish registry ESTROFA-2. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3(9):909–11.
- Schinkel AF, Barlis P, van Beusekom HM, Serruys PW, Regar E. Optical coherence tomography findings in very late (4 years) paclitaxel-eluting stent thrombosis. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2008;1(4):449–51. CrossRef
- Joyal D, Rudski L. Sirolimus-eluting stent thrombosis several years after clopidogrel discontinuation. J Invasive Cardiol. 2007;19(9):E265–7.
- Kimura T, Morimoto T, Nakagawa Y, Kawai K, Miyakazi S, Muramatsu T, et al. Very late stent thrombosis and late target lesion revascularization after sirolimus-eluting stent implantation: five-year outcome of the j-Cypher registry. Circulation. 2012;125(4):584–91. CrossRef
- Taylor-Sutton JE, Kim MC. Very late stent thrombosis approximately 7 years after deployment and one-week cessation of dual antiplatelet therapy. J Invasive Cardiol. 2011;23(12):E273–6.
- Spagnoli V, Veugeois A, Caussin C, Amabile N. Extremely late drug-eluting stent thrombosis related to uncovered struts: the phantom menace. Eur Heart J. 2013;34(31):2428. CrossRef
- Siddiqi OK, Faxon DP. Very late stent thrombosis: current concepts. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2012;27(6):634–41. CrossRef
- Kuchulakanti PK, Chu WW, Torguson R, Ohlmann P, Rha SW, Clavijo LC, et al. Correlates and long-term outcomes of angiographically proven stent thrombosis with sirolimus- and paclitaxel-eluting stents. Circulation. 2006;113(8):1108–13. CrossRef
- Iakovou I, Schmidt T, Bonizzoni E, Ge L, Sangiorgi GM, Stankovic G, et al. Incidence, predictors, and outcome of thrombosis after successful implantation of drug-eluting stents. JAMA. 2005;293(17):2126–30. CrossRef
- Lee CW, Kang SJ, Park DW, Lee SH, Kim YH, Kim JJ, et al. Intravascular ultrasound findings in patients with very late stent thrombosis after either drug-eluting or bare-metal stent implantation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55(18):1936–42. CrossRef
- Costa MA, Sabate M, Angiolillo DJ, Jimenez-Quevedo P, Teirstein P, Carter A, et al. Intravascular ultrasound characterization of the “black hole” phenomenon after drug-eluting stent implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97(2):203–6. CrossRef
- Zhang T, Shen L, Hu L, He B. Optimal duration of dual-antiplatelet therapy following drug-eluting stent implantation: a meta-analysis. J Clin Pharmacol. 2013;53(3):345–51. CrossRef
- Extremely late (7 years) paclitaxel-eluting stent thrombosis
Cardiovascular Intervention and Therapeutics
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links