Impact of proton pump inhibitors or famotidine on the antiplatelet actions during dual-antiplatelet therapy in Japanese patients
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It has been reported that the antiplatelet action becomes attenuated when a proton pump inhibitor is used in combination with clopidogrel. Purpose: The effect of an antacid causing platelet aggregation during the administration of clopidogrel was investigated.
Subjects and methods
The subjects consisted of 265 patients with coronary artery disease. Platelet aggregation function testing (light transmittance aggregometry) was conducted while aspirin and clopidogrel 75 mg were taken orally and the minimum concentration of aggregation induction platelet aggregation threshold index was measured. The ADP-PATI, measured with ADP as the inducing substance, was compared and investigated according to the type of concomitantly used antacid.
The results of the ADP-PATI were: control group: 3.47 ± 0.95 μM (N = 67), famotidine group: 3.80 ± 0.52 μM (N = 32), rabeprazole group: 3.43 ± 0.93 μM (N = 87), lansoprazole group: 3.28 ± 1.04 μM (N = 63) and omeprazole group: 3.33 ± 0.81 μM (N = 16). No statistically significant difference was observed regarding the ADP-PATI of respective groups compared to the control group.
The concomitant use of famotidine, rabeprazole, lansoprazole, and omeprazole did not affect the antiplatelet action of clopidogrel in Japanese patients.
- Grines CL, Bonow RO, Casey DE Jr, Gardner TJ, Lockhart PB, Moliterno DJ, et al. Prevention of premature discontinuation of dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with coronary artery stents: a science advisory from the American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, American College of Surgeons, and American Dental Association, with representation from the American College of Physicians. Circulation. 2007;115:813–8. CrossRef
- Hori S, Ikeda Y, Ishimaru S, Inoue H, Uchiyama S, Ogawa H, et al. Guidelines for management of anticoagulant and antiplatelet therapy in cardiovascular disease (JCS 2009). In: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases. Japanese Circulation society. http://www.j-circ.or.jp/guideline/pdf/JCS2009_hori_h.pdf. Accessed 25 Nov 2009.
- Holmes DR Jr, Kereiakes DJ, Kleiman NS, Moliterno DJ, Patti G, Grines CL. Combining antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapies. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54:95–109. CrossRef
- Sørensen R, Hansen ML, Abildstrom SZ, Hvelplund A, Andersson C, Jørgensen C, et al. Risk of bleeding in patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with different combinations of aspirin, clopidogrel, and vitamin K antagonists in Denmark: a retrospective analysis of nationwide registry data. Lancet. 2009;374:1967–74. CrossRef
- Abraham NS, Hlatky MA, Antman EM, Bhatt DL, Bjorkman DJ, Clark CB, et al. ACCF/ACG/AHA 2010 expert consensus document on the concomitant use of proton pump inhibitors and thienopyridines: a focused update of the ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use. A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Expert Consensus Documents. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:2051–66. CrossRef
- Juurlink DN, Gomes T, Ko DT, Szmitko PE, Austin PC, Tu JV, et al. A population-based study of the drug interaction between proton pump inhibitors and clopidogrel. CMAJ. 2009;180:713–8. CrossRef
- Ho PM, Maddox TM, Wang L, Fihn SD, Jesse RL, Peterson ED, et al. Risk of adverse outcomes associated with concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors following acute coronary syndrome. JAMA. 2009;301:937–44. CrossRef
- O’Donoghue ML, Braunwald E, Antman EM, Murphy SA, Bates ER, Rozenman Y, et al. Pharmacodynamic effect and clinical efficacy of clopidogrel and prasugrel with or without a proton-pump inhibitor: an analysis of two randomised trials. Lancet. 2009;374:989–97. CrossRef
- Gilard M, Arnaud B, Cornily JC, Le Gal G, Lacut K, Le Calvez G, et al. Influence of omeprazole on the antiplatelet action of clopidogrel associated with aspirin: the randomized, double-blind OCLA (Omeprazole CLopidogrel Aspirin) study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;51:256–60. CrossRef
- Norgard NB, Mathews KD, Wall GC. Drug-drug interaction between clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors. Ann Pharmacother. 2009;43:1266–74. CrossRef
- Small DS, Farid NA, Payne CD, Weerakkody GJ, Li YG, Brandt JT, et al. Effects of the proton pump inhibitor lansoprazole on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of prasugrel and clopidogrel. J Clin Pharmacol. 2008;48:475–84. CrossRef
- Ishizaki T, Horai Y. Cytochrome P450 and the metabolism of proton pump inhibitors-emphasis on rabeprazole. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1999;13(Supppl. 3):27–36. CrossRef
- Wu CY, Chan FK, Wu MS, Kuo KN, Wang CB, Tsao CR, et al. Histamine2-receptor antagonists are an alternative to proton pump inhibitor in patients receiving clopidogrel. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:1165–71. CrossRef
- Update to the labeling of Clopidogrel Bisulfate (marketed as Plavix) to alert healthcare professionals about a drug interaction with omeprazole (marketed as Prilosec and Prilosec OTC). In: Information for Healthcare Professionals. US Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm190787.htm. Accessde 17 Nov 2009.
- Breet NJ, van Werkum JW, Bouman HJ, Kelder JC, Ruven HJ, Bal ET, et al. Comparison of platelet function tests in predicting clinical outcome in patients undergoing coronary stent implantation. JAMA. 2010;303:754–62. CrossRef
- Hoshino K, Horiuchi H, Tada T, Tazaki J, Nishi E, Kawato M, et al. Clopidogrel resistance in Japanese patients scheduled for percutaneous coronary intervention. Circ J. 2009;73:336–42. CrossRef
- Fu Q, Ishikawa S, Yokoyama N, Kozuma K, Takada K, Muraki A, et al. Enhanced platelet activation following coronary stent implantation in patients on hemodialysis. Cardiovasc Interv Ther. 2010;25:72–7. CrossRef
- Kimura T, Morimoto T, Nakagawa Y, Kadota, K, Nozaki Y, Tada T et al. Antiplatelet therapy and long-term clinical outcome after sirolimus-eluting stent implantation: 5-year outcome of the j-Cypher registry. Cardiovasc Interv and Ther doi:10.1007/s12928-012-0109-0.
- Taha AS, McCloskey C, Prasad R, Bezlyak V. Famotidine for the prevention of peptic ulcers and oesophagitis in patients taking low-dose aspirin (FAMOUS): a phase III, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2009;374:119–25. CrossRef
- Bhatt DL, Cryer BL, Contant CF, Cohen M, Lanas A, Schnitzer TJ, et al. COGENT Investigators. Clopidogrel with or without omeprazole in coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med. 2010;363:1909–17. CrossRef
- Kimura T, Morimoto T, Furukawa Y, Nakagawa Y, Kadota K, Iwabuchi M, et al. Association of the use of proton pump inhibitors with adverse cardiovascular and bleeding outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention in the Japanese real world clinical practice. Cardiovasc Interv Ther. 2011;26:222–33. CrossRef
- Chitose T, Hokimoto S, Oshima S, Nakao K, Fujimoto K, Miyao Y, et al. Clinical outcomes following coronary stenting in Japanese patients treated with and without proton pump inhibitor. Circ J. 2012;76:71–8. CrossRef
- Kidson-gerber G, Weaver J, Gemmell R, Prasan AM, Chong H. Serum Thromboxane B 2 compared to five other platelet function tests for the evaluation of aspirin. Heart Lung Circ. 2010;19:234–42. CrossRef
- Eshtehardi P, Windecker S, Cook S, Billinger M, Togni M, Garachemani A, et al. Dual low response to acetylsalicylic acid and clopidogrel is associated with myonecrosis and stent thrombosis after coronary stent implantation. Am Heart J. 2010;159:891.e1–898.e1.
- Motoda C, Ueda H, Hayashi Y, Toyofuku M, Okimoto T, Otsuka M, et al. Impact of Platelet reactivity to adenosine diphosphate before implantation of drug-eluting stents on subsequent adverse cardiac events in patients with stable angina. Circ J. 2012;76:641–9. CrossRef
- Mega JL, Close SL, Wiviott SD, Shen L, Hockett RD, Brandt JT, et al. Cytochrome p-450 polymorphisms and response to clopidogrel. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:354–62. CrossRef
- Kubota T, Chiba K, Ishizaki T. Genotyping of S-mephenytoin 4′-hydroxylation in an extended Japanese population. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1996;60:661–6. CrossRef
- Impact of proton pump inhibitors or famotidine on the antiplatelet actions during dual-antiplatelet therapy in Japanese patients
Cardiovascular Intervention and Therapeutics
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 22-29
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Proton pump inhibitor
- Platelet aggregation function test
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Toyama Prefectural Central Hospital, Nishinagae 2-2-78, Toyama-shi, Toyama, 930-8550, Japan