Transcatheter atrial septal defect closure in a patient with paradoxical brain emboli: who should treat it and who should be treated?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This report presents the case of a 51-year-old female who was admitted to a local hospital because of a persistent headache. A diagnosis of multiple cerebral infarctions was thereafter made, but there was no evidence of either atherosclerosis or atrial fibrillation. The case was thought to be a cryptogenic stroke, however, Doppler ultrasonography of the lower extremities showed venous insufficiency. Transesophageal echocardiography revealed a secundum atrial septal defect (ASD) with a left to right shunt. Therefore, the final diagnosis was paradoxical brain emboli, and transcatheter ASD closure was successfully performed by cardiologists without any sequelae.
- Ochiai R, Yao A, Kinugawa K, Nagai R, Shiraishi I, Niwa K. Status and future needs of regional adult congenital heart disease centers in Japan. Circ J. 2011;75:2220–7. CrossRef
- King TD, Mills NL. Nonoperative closure of atrial septal defects. Surgery. 1974;75:383–8.
- Kijima Y, Akagi T, Taniguchi M, Nakagawa K, Deguchi K, Tomii T, et al. Catheter closure of atrial septal defect in patients with cryptogenic stroke: initial experience in Japan. Cardiovasc Interv and Ther. 2012;27:8–13. CrossRef
- Du ZD, Hijazi ZM, Kleinman CS, Silverman NH, Larntz K, Amplatzer Investigators. Comparison between transcatheter and surgical closure of secundum atrial septal defect in children and adults: results of a multicenter nonrandomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;39:1836–44. CrossRef
- Divekar A, Gaamangwe T, Shaikh N, Raabe M, Ducas J. Cardiac perforation after device closure of atrial septal defects with the Amplatzer Septal Occluder. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45:1213–8. CrossRef
- Hara H, Virmani R, Ladich E, Mackey-Bojack S, Titus J, Reisman M, et al. Patent foramen ovale: current pathology, pathophysiology, and clinical status. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;46:1768–76. CrossRef
- Furlan AJ, Reisman M, Massaro J, Mauri L, Adams H, Albers GW, CLOSURE I Investigators, et al. Closure or medical therapy for cryptogenic stroke with patent foramen ovale. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:991–9. CrossRef
- Transcatheter atrial septal defect closure in a patient with paradoxical brain emboli: who should treat it and who should be treated?
Cardiovascular Intervention and Therapeutics
Volume 27, Issue 3 , pp 214-217
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Atrial septal defect
- Paradoxical emboli
- Transcatheter closure
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, 2-17-6 Ohashi, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, 153-8515, Japan
- 2. Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Toho University Omori Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
- 4. Department of Cardiology, Tokyo Rosai Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Toho University Omori Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan