Adalimumab-induced psoriasis in a patient with Crohn’s disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Inappropriate secretion of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) leads to inflammation and tissue damage by causing excessive secretion of inflammatory cytokines especially IL-1 . Anti-TNF-α agents are used to treat a myriad of immune-based diseases. Although indicated in treating certain forms of psoriasis, TNF inhibitors have paradoxically been shown to cause or worsen psoriasis primarily in patients with underlying rheumatologic disease and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) [2, 3]. We present a case of plaque psoriasis in a patient with Crohn’s disease during adalimumab treatment.
A 32-year-old female patient with the diagnosis of ileal Crohn’s disease for 5 years was started on adalimumab therapy (160 mg initially on day 1, followed by 80 mg on day 15, and a maintenance dose of 40 mg every other week) due to refractory disease. Following the loading dose, a marked improvement was seen in both clinical and laboratory indices (defined as a decrease in CDAI ≥100 points). In the fo ...
- Schottelius AJ, Moldawer LL, Dinarello CA, Asadullah K, Sterry W, Edwards CK III. Biology of tumor necrosis factor-a: implications for psoriasis. Exp Dermatol. 2004;13:193–222. CrossRef
- Collamer AN, Guerrero KT, Henning JS, Battafarano DF. Psoriatic skin lesions induced by tumor necrosis factor antagonist therapy: a literature review and potential mechanisms of action. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;59:996–1001. CrossRef
- Ko JM, Gottlieb AB, Kerbleski JF. Induction and exacerbation of psoriasis with TNF-blockade therapy: a review and analysis of 127 cases. J Dermatolog Treat. 2009;20:100–8. CrossRef
- Bordel-Gómez M, Sánchez-Estella J, Martínez-González O, Cardenoso-Alvarez ME. Palmoplantar psoriasis: a paradoxical adverse reaction induced by adalimumab. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2009;23:444–5. CrossRef
- Schmidt E, Wetter DA, Ferguson SB, Pittelkow MP. Psoriasis and palmoplantar pustulosis associated with tumor necrosis factor-a inhibitors: the Mayo Clinic experience, 1998 to 2010. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;67(5):e179–85. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2011.05.038. CrossRef
- Ritchlin C, Tausk F. A medical conundrum: onset of psoriasis in patients receiving anti-tumour necrosis factor agents. Ann Rheum Dis. 2006;65:1541–5. CrossRef
- Tobin AM, Kirby B. TNFa inhibitors in the treatment of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. BioDrugs. 2005;19:47–57. CrossRef
- Lahfa M, Mrowietz U, Koenig M, Simon JC. Calcitriol ointment and clobetasol propionate cream: a new regimen for the treatment of plaque psoriasis. Eur J Dermatol. 2003;13:261–5.
- Werner de Castro GR, Neves FS, Pereira IA, Fialho SC, Ribeiro G, Zimmermann AF. Resolution of adalimumab-induced psoriasis after vitamin D deficiency treatment. Rheumatol Int. 2012;32:1313–6. CrossRef
- Adalimumab-induced psoriasis in a patient with Crohn’s disease
Indian Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 135-136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastroenterology, Kocaeli University Medical Faculty, Umuttepe, 41900, Kocaeli, Turkey
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine, Kocaeli University Medical Faculty, Kocaeli, Turkey