Intractable ascites as a manifestation of Wolman’s disease: report of two sibs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Wolman disease (WD) is a rare, inherited, rapidly fatal condition presenting in early infancy. The disease manifests in the first month of life with failure to thrive, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal distension, hepatosplenomegaly and bilateral adrenal calcification and is nearly always fatal before the age of 1 year. Barring a case report of isolated fetal ascites, there is no report of intractable ascites as the presentation of WD till date. We report two siblings with WD who both had intractable ascites and required therapeutic paracentesis, albumin infusion, and diuretics to control tense ascites. Although rare, WD should be considered in the differential diagnosis of infantile ascites.
- Tolar J, Petryk A, Khan K, et al. Long-term metabolic, endocrine and neuropsychological outcome of hematopoietic cell transplantation for Wolman disease. Bone Marrow Transplantat. 2009;43:21–7. CrossRef
- Patrick AD, Lake BD. Deficiency of acid lipase in Wolman disease. Nature. 1969;222:1067–8. CrossRef
- Assmann G, Seedorf U. Acid lipase deficiency: Wolman disease and cholesterylester disease. In: Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D, eds. The Metabolic and Molecular Basis of Inherited Disease, Vol 2. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Inc; 1995. p. 2563–87.
- Ben-Haroush A, Yogev Y, Levit O, Hod M, Kaplan B. Isolated foetal ascites caused by Wolman disease. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2003;21:297–8. CrossRef
- Marshall WC, Ockenden BC, Fosbrooke AS, et al. Wolman disease: A rare lipidosis with adrenal calcification. Arch Dis Child. 1968;44:331–41. CrossRef
- Al Essa M, Nounou R, Sakati N, et al. Wolman disease: The King Faisal specialist hospital and research centre experience. Ann Saudi Med. 1998;18:120–4.
- Bona G, Gallina MR, Dolfin G, Iavarone A, Perona A, Zaffaroni M. Prenatal diagnosis of heterozygosis in a pregnancy at risk for Wolman disease at the 8th week of gestation. Panminerva Med. 1989;31:180–2.
- Intractable ascites as a manifestation of Wolman’s disease: report of two sibs
Indian Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 6 , pp 343-345
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Liver storage disorder
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, 226 014, India
- 2. Department of Pathology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, 226 014, India
- 3. Department of Medical Genetics, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, 226 014, India