Assessment of sexual maturity in a cohort of adolescents with celiac disease on gluten-free diet
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Delayed sexual maturation is a known complication of celiac disease (CD). There is paucity of data regarding the effect of gluten-free diet (GFD) on sexual maturity in patients with CD in India. We did a cross-sectional observational study to assess the sexual maturity in 30 adolescents with CD on GFD for at least 1 year, and evaluated factors which affect their sexual maturity. Sexual maturation was assessed using Tanner’s stages of sexual development. All adolescents had completed 2 years of GFD and 53 % had completed 4 years of GFD. Sexual maturation was delayed in 30 %. Age at initiation of GFD was associated with attaining appropriate sexual maturity (p = 0.048). We conclude that delayed sexual maturation is not uncommon in adolescents with CD and may be corrected by early diagnosis and initiation of GFD.
- Thapa BR. Celiac disease in India. Indian J Pediatr. 1999;66:S16–20.
- Rodrigo L. Celiac disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:6585–93.
- Sood A, Sood N, Midha V, Avasthi G, Sehgal A. Prevalence of celiac disease among school children in Punjab, North India. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;21:1622–25. CrossRef
- Chávez E, Ceresa S, Guevara G, Espinoza J, Pizarro B, Rossel M. Celiac disease in adolescents. Rev Chil Pediatr. 1991;62:238–41.
- Catassi C, Fasano A. Celiac disease as a cause of growth retardation in childhood. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2004;16:445–9. CrossRef
- Kumar M, Yaccha SK, Naik SR. Celiac disease in children. Indian J Gastroenterol. 1993;12:15.
- Patwari AK, Anand VK, Kapur G, Narayan S. Clinical and nutrition of children with celiac disease. Indian Pediatr. 2003;40:337–42.
- Yachha SK. Celiac disease: India on the global map. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;21:1511–3. CrossRef
- Poddar U, Thapa BR, Nain CK, Prasad A, Singh K. Celiac disease in India: are they true cases of celiac disease? J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutri. 2002;35:508–12. CrossRef
- Walker-Smith JA. Revised criteria for diagnosis of celiac disease. Report of Working Group of European Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, and Nutrition. Arch Dis Child. 1990;65:909–11. CrossRef
- Yachha SK, Aggrawal R, Srinivas S, Srivastava A, Somani SK, Srivenu I. Antibody testing in Indian children with celiac disease. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2006;25:132–5.
- Hill ID, Dirks MH, Liptak GS, et al. Guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of celiac disease in children: recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005;40:1–19. CrossRef
- Tanner JM. Growth at Adolescence. 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications; 1962.
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys. Arch Dis Child. 1970;45:13–23. CrossRef
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in girls. Arch Dis Child. 1970;44:291–303. CrossRef
- Mustalahti K, Catassi C, Reunanen A, et al. The prevalence of celiac disease in Europe: results of a centralized, international mass screening project. Ann Med. 2010;42:587–95. CrossRef
- Sferlazzas C, Arrigo T, Salzano G, et al. Menarcheal age in celiac disease may not be delayed and may be irrespective of age at diagnosis and dietary management. J Endocrinol Invest. 2008;31:432–5.
- Vahedi K, Mascart F, Mary JY, et al. Reliability of antitransglutaminase antibodies as predictors of gluten-free diet compliance in adult celiac disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003;98:1079–87. CrossRef
- Holtmeier W, Caspary WF. Celiac disease. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2006;1:3. CrossRef
- Patwari AK, Kapur G, Satyanarayana L, et al. Catch-up growth in children with late-diagnosed coeliac disease. Br J Nutr. 2005;94:437–42. CrossRef
- Chauhan JC, Kumar P, Dutta AK, Basu S, Kumar A. Assessment of dietary compliance to gluten-free diet and psychosocial problems in Indian children with celiac disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2010;77:649–54. CrossRef
- Assessment of sexual maturity in a cohort of adolescents with celiac disease on gluten-free diet
Indian Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 130-132
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Celiac disease
- Sexual maturity
- Industry Sectors