Non responsive celiac disease due to coexisting hereditary fructose intolerance
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Celiac disease is associated with several genetic disorders, but its association with hereditary fructose intolerance is rare. Hereditary fructose intolerance is a rare autosomal recessive disease of fructose metabolism presenting as vomiting after intake of fructose. An association between these two distinct genetic gastrointestinal disorders is important as treatment failure of celiac disease calls for careful evaluation for hereditary fructose intolerance. We report a patient with an association of these two disorders.
- What is HFI? Available at: http://www.bu.edu/aldolase/HFI/ accessed Dec 10, 2009.
- Ananth N, Praveenkumar GS, Aravind Rao K, Vasanthi, Srinivas K. Two cases of hereditary fructose intolerance. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2003;18:87–92. CrossRef
- Sitadevi C, Ramaiah Y, Askari Z. Fructose intolerance associated with congenital cataract. Report of a case. Indian J Pediatr. 1968;35:496–8. CrossRef
- Abdulkarim AS, Burgart LJ, See J, Murray JA. Etiology of non-responsive celiac disease: results of a systematic approach. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:2016–21. CrossRef
- Oberhuber G, Granditsch G, Vogelsang H. The histopathology of coeliac disease: time for a standardized report scheme for pathologists. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1999;11:1185–94.
- Krauss N, Schuppan D. Monitoring nonresponsive patients who have celiac disease. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2006;16:317–27. CrossRef
- Seliwanoff T. Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft, 1887, 20:181–2. Available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seliwanoff%27s_test accessed on 10th Dec 2009.
- Yasawy MI, Folsch UR, Schmidt WE, Schwend M. Adult hereditary fructose intolerance. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:2412–3. CrossRef
- Gitzelman R, Steinmann B, Van den Berghe G. Disorders of fructose metabolism. In: Scriver CR, Beaudet Al, Sly WS, Valle D, eds. The Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co; 1995. pp. 905–4.
- Steinmann B, Gitzelmann R. The diagnosis of hereditary fructose intolerance. Helv Paediatr Acta. 1981;36:297–316.
- Ciacci C, Gennarelli D, Esposito G, Tortora R, Salvatore F, Sacchetti L. Hereditary fructose intolerance and celiac disease: a novel genetic association. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;4:635–8. CrossRef
- Black JA, Simpson K. Fructose intolerance. Brit Med J. 1967;4:138–41. CrossRef
- Non responsive celiac disease due to coexisting hereditary fructose intolerance
Indian Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 83-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Failure to thrive
- Industry Sectors