Ultrasound-assisted spinal anesthesia in obese patients
To the Editor,
We write to share our experience of lumber ultrasonography to assist spinal anesthesia in an obese patient undergoing complex surgery. A 67-yr-old male with a body mass index (BMI) of 44, hypertension, diabetes mellitus and obstructive sleep apnea presented for total hip arthroplasty. Spinal anesthesia was deemed the most appropriate technique after considering the advantages and disadvantages of general versus regional anesthesia and acquiring patient agreement. Marked central obesity and a large umbilical hernia made it very difficult for this patient to achieve the optimal position for spinal anesthesia. Bony landmarks were impalpable on examination, and the landmark-guided approach was abandoned following several unsuccessful attempts at what was believed to be the L2-3 and L3-4 interspaces. With the patient remaining in the sitting position, an ultrasonographic survey of the lumbar spine was performed (Philips HD 11XE ultrasound unit, Philips Medical Systems, Bothwel ...
- US Obesity Trends 1985–2007. Available from: URL:http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/. Accessed July 31, 2009.
- Vallejo MC. Anesthetic management of the morbidly obese parturient. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2007; 20: 175–80. CrossRef
- Sprung J, Bourke DL, Grass J, et al. Predicting the difficult neuraxial block: a prospective study. Anesth Analg 1999; 89: 384–9. CrossRef
- De Filho GR, Gomes HP, da Fonseca MH, Hoffman JC, Pederneiras SG, Garcia JH. Predictors of successful neuraxial block: a prospective study. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2002; 19: 447–51.
- Grau T, Leipold RW, Conradi R, Martin E, Motsch J. Ultrasound imaging facilitates localization of the epidural space during combined spinal and epidural anesthesia. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2001; 26: 64–7.
- Ultrasound-assisted spinal anesthesia in obese patients
Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d'anesthésie
Volume 56, Issue 12 , pp 982-983
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors