Always consider left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in hemodynamically unstable patients
Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) plays a key role in the evaluation of hemodynamic instability, particularly in the diagnosis of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction (LVOTO) where it can completely alter patient management. The purpose of these rounds is to highlight how TEE can be instrumental in ensuring a timely diagnosis of this lesion by using examples from the recent archives of the Montreal Heart Institute of hemodynamic instability secondary to previously undiagnosed LVOTO. In some cases, TEE can also serve as an invaluable tool to evaluate the response to therapy in the perioperative and critical care settings. The Research Ethics Committee of the Montreal Heart Institute granted approval for use of the related images for research and publication purposes.
An elderly male with coronary artery disease was scheduled for coronary artery bypass surgery. His primary symptom was dyspnea, and his medical history was notable for systemic hypertension. Following induct ...
- Maslow AD, Regan MM, Haering JM, Johnson RG, Levine RA. Echocardiographic predictors of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction and systolic anterior motion of the mitral valve after mitral valve reconstruction for myxomatous valve disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 34: 2096–104. CrossRef
- Sherrid MV, Gunsburg DZ, Moldenhauer S, Pearle G. Systolic anterior motion begins at low left ventricular outflow tract velocity in obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36: 1344–54. CrossRef
- Brockenbrough EC, Braunwald E, Morrow AG. A hemodynamic technic for the detection of hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. Circulation 1961; 23: 189–94.
- Heidenreich PA, Stainback RF, Redberg RF, Schiller NB, Cohen NH, Foster E. Transesophageal echocardiography predicts mortality in critically ill patients with unexplained hypotension. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 26: 152–8. CrossRef
- Denault AY, Couture P, Buithieu J, Tardif JC. Transesophageal Echocardiography Multimedia Manual: A Perioperative Transdisciplinary Approach. Marcel Dekker; 2005.
- Always consider left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in hemodynamically unstable patients
Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d'anesthésie
Volume 56, Issue 12 , pp 962-968
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anesthesiology, Montreal Heart Institute, Université de Montréal, 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal, QC, H1T 1C8, Canada
- 2. Department of Cardiology, Montreal Heart Institute, Université de Montréal, Montreal, QC, Canada
- 3. Division of Critical Care, Department of Medicine, Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal, Montreal, QC, Canada