March 2009, Volume 56, Issue 3, pp 190-193
Adjusting clinical prediction rules: an academic exercise or the potential for real world clinical applications in perioperative medicine?
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Supplementary Material (0)
- Goldman L, Caldera DL, Nussbaum SR, et al. Multifactorial index of cardiac risk in noncardiac surgical procedures. N Engl J Med 1977; 297: 845–50.
- Detsky AS, Abrams HB, McLaughlin JR, et al. Predicting cardiac complications in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. J Gen Intern Med 1986; 1: 211–9. CrossRef
- Lee TH, Marcantonio ER, Mangione CM, et al. Derivation and prospective validation of a simple index for prediction of cardiac risk of major noncardiac surgery. Circulation 1999; 100: 1043–9.
- Ford M, Beattie WS, Wijeysundera DN. The revised cardiac risk index for predicting cardiac events and mortality: a systematic review. Anesthesiology 2008; 109: A1420 (abstract).
- Lindenauer PK, Pekow P, Wang K, Mamidi DK, Gutierrez B, Benjamin EM. Perioperative beta-blocker therapy and mortality after major noncardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 349–61. CrossRef
- Fleisher LA, Beckman JA, Brown KA, et al. ACC/AHA 2007 guidelines on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and care for noncardiac surgery: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2002 Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery). Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 685–712. CrossRef
- Janssen KJ, Vergouwe Y, Kalkman CJ, Grobbee DE, Moons KG. A simple method to adjust clinical prediction models to local circumstances. Can J Anesth 2009; 56.
- Janssen KJ, Kalkman CJ, Grobbee DE, Bonsel GJ, Moons KG, Vergouwe Y. The risk of severe postoperative pain: modification and validation of a clinical prediction rule. Anesth Analg 2008; 107: 1330–9. CrossRef
- Boersma E, Kertai MD, Schouten O, et al. Perioperative cardiovascular mortality in noncardiac surgery: validation of the Lee cardiac risk index. Am J Med 2005; 118: 1134–41. CrossRef
- Harrell FE Jr, Lee LK, Mark DB. Multivariable prognostic models: issues in developing models, evaluating assumptions and adequacy, and measuring and reducing errors. Stat Med 1996; 15: 361–87. CrossRef
- Vergouwe Y, Steyerberg EW, Eijkemans MJ, Habbema JD. Substantial effective sample sizes were required for external validation studies of predictive logistic regression models. J Clin Epidemiol 2005; 58: 475–83. CrossRef
- Toll DB, Janssen KJ, Vergouwe Y, Moons KG. Validation, updating and impact of clinical prediction rules: a review. J Clin Epidemiol 2008; 61: 1085–94. CrossRef
About this Article
- Adjusting clinical prediction rules: an academic exercise or the potential for real world clinical applications in perioperative medicine?
Canadian Journal of Anesthesia/Journal canadien d'anesthésie
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 190-193
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation, VCH Research Institute, University of British Columbia, 828 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 1L8, Canada
- 2. Department of Anesthesia, University Health Network and the Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada