Moderate alcohol consumption predicts long-term mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Moderate alcohol consumption is related to a reduction of mortality. However, this phenomenon is not well established in the elderly, especially in the presence of chronic heart failure (CHF). The aim of the study was to verify the effect of moderate alcohol consumption on 12-year mortality in elderly community-dwelling with and without CHF.
community-dwelling from 5 regions of Italy.
A cohort of 1332 subjects aged 65 and older.
Mortality after 12-year follow-up in elderly subjects (≥65 years old) with and without CHF was studied. Moderate alcohol consumption was considered ≤250 ml/day (drinkers).
In the absence of CHF (n=947), mortality was 42.2% in drinkers vs. 53.7% in non-drinker elderly subjects (p=0.021). In contrast, in the presence of CHF (n=117), mortality was 86.5% in drinkers vs. 69.7% in non-drinker elderly subjects (p=0.004). Accordingly, Cox regression analysis shows that a moderate alcohol consumption is protective of mortality in the absence (HR=0.79; CI 95% 0.66–0.95; p<0.01) but it is predictive of mortality in the presence of CHF (HR=1.29; CI 95% 1.05–1.97; p<0.05).
Our data demonstrates that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with an increased long-term mortality risk in the elderly in the presence of CHF.
- Di Castelnuovo A, Costanzo S, Bagnardi V, Donati MB, Iacoviello L, de Gaetano G. Alcohol dosing and total mortality in men and women: an updated meta-analysis of 34 prospective studies. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:2437–2445. CrossRef
- Sadakane A, Gotoh T, Ishikawa S, Nakamura Y, Kayaba K; Jichi Medical School (JMS) Cohort Study Group. Amount and frequency of alcohol consumption and allcause mortality in a Japanese population: the JMS Cohort Study. J Epidemiol 2009;19:107–115. CrossRef
- Harriss LR, English DR, Hopper JL et al. Alcohol consumption and cardiovascular mortality accounting for possible misclassification of intake: 11-year follow-up of the Melbourne Collaborative Cohort Study. Addiction 2007;102:1574–1585. CrossRef
- Ronksley PE, Brien SE, Turner BJ, Mukamal KJ, Ghali WA. Association of alcohol consumption with selected cardiovascular disease outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2011;342:d671. CrossRef
- Kalmijn S, van Boxtel MPJ, Verschuren MWM, Jolles J, Launer LJ. Cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption in relation to cognitive performance in middle age. Am J Epidemiol 2002;156:936–944. CrossRef
- Mukamal KJ, Kuller LH, Fitzpatrick AL, Longstreth WT Jr, Mittleman MA, Siscovick DS. Prospective study of alcohol consumption and risk of dementia in older adults. JAMA 2003;289:1405–1413. CrossRef
- Adams WL, Yuan Z, Barboriak JJ, Rimm AA. Alcohol-related hospitalizations of elderly people. Prevalence and geographic variation in the United States. JAMA 1993;270:1222–1125. CrossRef
- Dufour M, Fuller RK. Alcohol in the elderly. Annu Rev Med 1995;46:123–132. CrossRef
- Mirand AL, Welte JW. Alcohol consumption among the elderly in a general population, Erie County, New York. Am J Public Health 1996;86:978–984. CrossRef
- Strandberg AY, Strandberg TE, Salomaa VV, Pitkälä K, Miettinen TA. Alcohol consumption, 29-y total mortality, and quality of life in men in old age. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;80:1366–1371.
- McCaul KA, Almeida OP, Hankey GJ, Jamrozik K, Byles JE, Flicker L. Alcohol use and mortality in older men and women. Addiction 2010;105:1391–1400. CrossRef
- Rosamond W, Flegal K, Friday G et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics-2007 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation 2007;115:e169–e171. CrossRef
- Djoussé L, Kochar J, Gaziano JM. Secular trends of heart failure among US Male physicians. Am Heart J 2007;154:855–860. CrossRef
- Kloner RA, Rezkalla SH. To drink or not to drink? That is the question. Circulation 2007;116:1306–1317. CrossRef
- Piano MR. Alcohol and heart failure. J Card Fail 2002;8:239–246. CrossRef
- Cacciatore F, Gallo C, Ferrara N et al. Morbidity patterns in aged population in southern Italy. A survey sampling. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 1998;26:201–213. CrossRef
- Cacciatore F, Abete P, Maggi S, et al Disability and 6-year mortality in elderly population. Role of visual impairment. Aging Clin Exp Res 2004;16:382–388.
- Testa G, Cacciatore F, Galizia G et al.. Waist circumference but not body mass index predicts long-term mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010;58:1433–1440. CrossRef
- Cacciatore F, Abete P, Mazzella F et al. Frailty predicts long-term mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure. Eur J Clin Invest 2005;35:723–730. CrossRef
- Testa G, Cacciatore F, Galizia G et al. Depressive symptoms predict mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure. Eur J Clin Invest 2011;41:1310–1317. CrossRef
- Cacciatore F, Abete P, Ferrara N, et al. Congestive heart failure and cognitive impairment in an older population. Osservatorio Geriatrico Campano Study Group. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998;46:1343–1348.
- Katz S, Ford AB, Moskowitz RW, Jackson BA, Jaffe MW. Studies of illness in the aged. The index of BADL; a standardized measure of biological and psycological functions. JAMA 1963;185:94–99. CrossRef
- Mazzella F, Cacciatore F, Galizia G et al. Social support and long-term mortality in the elderly: role of comorbidity. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2010;51:323–328. CrossRef
- Gmel G, Gutjahr E, Rehm J. How stable is the risk curve between alcohol and allcause mortality and what factors influence the shape? a precision weighted hierarchical meta-analysis. Eur J Epidemiol 2003;18:631–642. CrossRef
- Di Castelnuovo A, Rotondo S, Iacoviello L, Donati MB, de Gaetano G. Metaanalysis of wine and beer consumption in relation to vascular risk. Circulation 2002;105:2836–2844. CrossRef
- Jackson R, Broad J, Connor J, Wells S. Alcohol and ischaemic heart disease: probably no free lunch. Lancet 2005;366:1911–1912. CrossRef
- Thun MJ, Peto R, Lopez AD et al. Alcohol consumption and mortality among middle-aged and elderly U.S. adults. N Engl J Med 1997;337:1705–1714. CrossRef
- Grønbæk, M, Deis A, Becker U et al. Alcohol and mortality: is there a U-shaped relation in elderly people? Age Ageing 1998;27:739–744. CrossRef
- Reid MC, Boutros NN, O’Connor PG, Cadariu A, Concato J. The health related effects of alcohol use in older persons: a systematic review. Subst. Abuse 2002;23:149–164.
- Halme JT, Seppä K, Alho H, Poikolainen K, Pirkola S, Aalto M. Alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality among elderly in Finland. Drug Alcohol Depend 2010;106:212–218. CrossRef
- Rich MW. Heart failure in the 21st century: a cardiogeriatric syndrome. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2001;56:M88–M96. CrossRef
- Bleumink GS, Knetsch AM, Sturkenboom MC, Straus SM, Hofman A, Deckers JW, Witteman JC, Stricker BH. Quantifying the heart failure epidemic: prevalence, incidence rate, lifetime risk and prognosis of heart failure The Rotterdam Study. Eur Heart J 2004;25:1614–1619. CrossRef
- Murphy NF, Simpson CR, McAlister FA et al. National survey of the prevalence, incidence, primary care burden, and treatment of heart failure in Scotland. Heart 2004;90:1129–1136. CrossRef
- Cooper HA, Exner DV, Domanski MJ. Light-to-moderate alcohol consumption and prognosis in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:1753–1759. CrossRef
- Padilla H, Michael Gaziano J, Djoussé L. Alcohol consumption and risk of heart failure: a meta-analysis. Phys Sportsmed 2010;38:84–89. CrossRef
- Djoussé L, Gaziano JM. Alcohol consumption and heart failure: a systematic review. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2008;10:117–120. CrossRef
- Abramson JL, Williams SA, Krumholz HM et al. Moderate alcohol consumption and risk of heart failure among older persons. JAMA 2001;285:1971–1977. CrossRef
- Urbano-Márquez A, Fernández-Solà J. Effects of alcohol on skeletal and cardiac muscle. Muscle Nerve 2004;30:689–707. CrossRef
- Thomas S, Rich MW. Epidemiology, pathophysiology, and prognosis of heart failure in the elderly. Clin Geriatr Med 2007;23:1–10. CrossRef
- Piano MR. Alcoholic cardiomyopathy: incidence, clinical characteristics, and pathophysiology. Chest 2002;121:1638–1650. CrossRef
- Spaak J, Merlocco AC, Soleas GJ et al. Dose-related effects of red wine and alcohol on hemodynamics, sympathetic nerve activity, and arterial diameter. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2008;294:H605–612. CrossRef
- Pinder RM. Enhancing central noradrenergic function in depression: is there still a place for a new antidepressant? Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2005;1:3–7. CrossRef
- Fox K, Borer JS, Camm AJ et al. Resting heart rate in cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;50:823–830. CrossRef
- Moderate alcohol consumption predicts long-term mortality in elderly subjects with chronic heart failure
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 480-485
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Alcohol consumption
- chronic heart failure
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Scienze Cardiovascolari ed Immunologiche, Cattedra di Geriatria, Università degli Studi di Napoli “Federico II”, Naples, Italy
- 2. AON, SS Antonio e Biagio e Cesare Arrigo, Struttura Complessa di Geriatria, Alessandria, Italy
- 3. Dipartimento di Medicina e Scienze della Salute, Università del Molise, Campobasso, Italy
- 4. Istituto Scientifico di Campoli/Telese, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, IRCCS, Benevento, Italy
- 5. Istituto Scientifico di Veruno, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, IRCCS, Veruno (NO), Italy
- 6. Department of Advanced Biotechnologies and Bioimaging, IRCCS San Raffaele, Rome, Italy
- 7. Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Scienze Cardiovascolari ed Immunologiche, Cattedra di Geriatria, University of Naples Federico II, 80131, Napoli, Italy