Predicting the outcome of long-term care by clinical and functional indices: The role of nutritional status
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In elderly subjects, past researches have already underlined the role of nutritional status as a basic factor able to influence the prognosis either in acute wards or in rehabilitation and long-term care settings. Aim of the study is that of retrospectively verify, through a multivariate analysis, the factors able to condition mortality in long-term care, paying particular attention to the nutritional status.
The survey included 513 patients aged more than 65 years admitted to a long-term care unit during a three years period Exitus within the first three months of hospitalization was considered the outcome variable, while baseline functional, cognitive, clinical and nutritional status were considered the independent variables eventually related to mortality.
The univariate analysis found that some variables were significantly correlated with the outcome: comorbidity, ADL, cognitive status, pressure sores, albumin, transferrin, CRP, mucoprotein, cholesterol, Cholinesterase, MAMC and MNA. The predictive value of the block model of the logistic regression analysis was 77.9% (specificity = 85.3%, sensitivity = 63.9%). With the forward stepwise analysis only MNA, Cholinesterase, CRP and mucoprotein were considered in the final model. In this case the predictive value of the model was 79.3% (specificity = 84.6%, sensitivity = 69.46%).
- Donini LM, De Bernardini L, De Felice MR, Savina C, Coletti C, Cannella C: Effect of nutritional status on clinical outcome in a population of geriatric rehabilitation patients. Aging Clin Exper Res 2004, 16, 132–138
- Pirlich M., Schutz T., Norman K., Gastell S., Lubke HJ., Bischoff S.C., Bolder U., Frieling T., Guldenzoph H., Hahn K., Jauch K.W., Schindler K., Stein J., Volkert D., Weimann A., Werner H., Wolf C, Zurcher G, Bauer P., & Lochs H.: The German hospital malnutrition study. Clin Nutr 2006. 25, 563–572. CrossRef
- Stratton RJ, Elia M.: Deprivation linked to malnutrition risk and mortality in hospital. Br J Nutr. 2006 Nov;96(5):870–876 CrossRef
- Kubrak C. & Jensen L: Malnutrition in acute care patients: a narrative review. Int J Nurs Studies 2007,44, 1036–1054 CrossRef
- Amaral T.F., Matos L.C., Tavares M.M., Subtil A., Martins R, Nazare M., & Sousa P.N.: The economic impact of disease-related malnutrition at hospital admission. Clin Nutr 2007, 26, 778–784 CrossRef
- Kruizenga H.M., Van Tulder M.W., Seidell J.C., Thijs A., Ader HJ., van Bokhorstde van der Schueren M.: Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of early screening and treatment of malnourished patients. Am J Clin Nutr 2005,82, 1082–1089.
- Stratton RJ, Elia M Who benefits from nutritional support: what is the evidence?. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007 May; 19(5): 353–358 CrossRef
- Elia M, Stratton RJ. A cost-utility analysis in patients receiving enteral tube feeding at home and in nursing homes. Clin Nutr. 2008 Jun;27(3):416–423. Epub 2008 Apr 16. CrossRef
- Shea JD: Pressure sores: classification and management. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1975 Oct, (112): 89–100
- Parmelee PA, Thura PD, Katz IR, Lawton MP: Validation of the cumulative illness rating scale in ageriatric residential population. JAGS 1995, 43, 130
- Rozzini R, Frisoni GB, Ferrucci L, Barbisoni P, Sabatini T, Ranieri P, Guralnik JM, Trabucchi M: Geriatric Index of Comorbidity: validation and comparison with other measures of comorbidity. Age ageing 2002, 31(4), 277–285 CrossRef
- Pfeiffer E: Short Portable Mental Status Questionnaire JAGS 1975,23, 433
- Katz S: Progress in the development of the index of ADL. Gerontologist, 1970,1,20–30 CrossRef
- Guigoz Y, Vellas B, Garry PJ: The Mini Nutritional Assessment: a practical assessment tool for grading the nutritional state of elderly persons (Third Edition). Facts, research and intervention in gerontology 1997. Serdi Publishing Company — Paris (France) pag. 15–60
- “Linee Guida SINPE per la Nutrizione Artificiale Ospedaliera 2002” RINPE 2002, 20, supplement 1
- Donini LM, De Felice MR, De Bernardini L, Ferrari G, Rosano A, dé Medici M, Cannella C: Prediction of stature in the italian elderly. J Nutr Health & Aging 2000, 4,2, 72–76
- Lohman TG, Roche AF, Martorell R. Manuale di riferimento per la standardizzazione antropometrica Milano: EDRA, 1992.
- Euronut SENECA investigators. Nutritional status: anthropometry. Eur J Clin Nutr 1991; 45:(S3), 3142.
- Levine SK, Sachs GA, Jin L, Meltzer D: A prognostic model for 1-year mortality in older adults after hospital discharge. Am J Med 2007 May;120(5):455–460. CrossRef
- Mitchell SL, Teno JM, Kiely DK, Shaffer ML, Jones RN, Prigerson HG, Volicer L, Givens JL, Hamel MB.: The clinical course of advanced dementia. N Engl J Med 2009 Oct 15;361(16): 1529–1538. CrossRef
- Kimyagarov S, Klid R, Levenkrohn S, Fleissig Y, Kopel B, Arad M, Adunsky A.: Body mass index (BMI), body composition and mortality of nursing home elderly residents. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009 Nov 23.
- van Dijk FT, Mehr DR Ooms ME, Madsen R Petroski G, Frijters DH, Pot AM, Ribbe MW: Comorbidity and 1-year mortality risks in nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Apr;53(4):660–665 CrossRef
- Fortinsky RH, Covinsky KE, Palmer RM & Landefeld CS: Effects of functional status changes before and during hospitalization on nursing home admission of older adults. J Gerontol 1999,54, M521–M526.
- Zureik M, Lombrail P, Davido A, Trouillet JL, Tran B, Levy A, Lang T: Predicting the outcome in elderly patients of hospital admission for acute care in Paris, France: construction and initial validation of a simplex index. J Epi dem Comm Health 1997, 51, 192–198. CrossRef
- Hoogerduijn JG, Schuurmans MJ, Duijnstee MSH, De Rooij SE, Grypdonck MFH: A systematic review of predictors and screening instruments to identify older hospitalized patients at risk for functional decline. J Clin Nuis 2006 16, 46–57 CrossRef
- Mattison ML, Rudolph JL, Kiely DK, Marcantonio ER: Nursing home patients in the intensive care unit: Risk factors for mortality. Crit Care Med 2006 Oct;34(10):2583–2587. CrossRef
- Meijers J.M., Schols J.M., van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren MA, Dassen T, Janssen M.A., & Halfens R.J.: Malnutrition prevalence in The Netherlands: results of the Annual Dutch National Prevalence Measurement of Care Problems. Br J Nutr. 2009 Feb;101(3):417–423. CrossRef
- Lehmann, A.B: Review: undernutrition in elderly people. Age and Ageing 1989, 18, 339–353 CrossRef
- Abbasi AA, Rudman D: Observations on the prevalence of protein-calorie undernutrition in VA nursing homes. JAGS 1993, 41, 117–121
- McWhirter, J.P, Pennington, C.R., 1994. Incidence and recognition of malnutrition in hospital. Br Med J 1994, 308, 945–948.
- Morely, J.E., Silver, A.J.: Nutritional issues in nursing home care. Ann Int Med 1995, 123, 850–859.
- Elmstahl, S., Persson, M., Andren, M., Blabolil, V., 1997. Malnutrition in geriatric patients: a neglected problem? J Adv Nurs 1997, 26, 851–855. CrossRef
- Chen CC, Schilling LS, Lyder CH. A concept analysis of malnutrition in the elderly. J Adv Nuis 2001; 36: 131–142. CrossRef
- Vellas B, Lauque S, Andrieu S et al. Nutrition assessment in the elderly. Curr Op Clin Nutr Metab Care 2001; 4: 5–8. CrossRef
- Crogan, N.L., Shultz, J.A., Adams, CE, Massey, L.K.: Barriers to nutrition care for nursing home residents. J Gerontol Nurs 2001, 12, 25–31.
- Agarval N, Acevedo F, Leighton LS, Cayten CG, Pitchumoni CS: Predictive ability of various nutritional variables for mortality in elderly people. Am J Clin Nutr 1988, 48, 1173–1178
- Antonelli-Incalzi R, Gemma A, Capparella O, Terranova L, Porcedda P, Tresalti E Carbonin P: Predicting mortality and length of stay of geriatric patients in an acute care general hospital. J Gerontol 1992, 47, M35–M39
- Cederholm T, Jagren C, Hellstrom K: Outcome of protein-energy malnutrition in elderly medical patients. Am J Med 1995,98, 67–74 CrossRef
- Antonelli-Incalzi R, Labdi F, Pagano F, Capparelle O, Femma A, Carbonin P: Changes in nutritional status during the hospital stay. Aging Clin Exp res 1998, 10, 490–496
- Ranieri P, Rozzini R, Franzoni S, Trabucchi M: Combined hypoalbuminemia and hypocholesterolemia as a predictor of mortality in older patients in a short-term period. JAGS 1999,11, 1386–1387
- Sullivan DH, Sun S, Walss RC: Protein-energy undernutrition among elderly hospitalised patients. JAMA 1999, 281, 2013–2019 CrossRef
- Sullivan, D.H., Morely, J.E., Johnsoa L.E., Barber, A., Olson, J.S., Stevens, M.R., Yamashita, B., Reinhart, S.P., Trotter, J.P., Olave, X.E.: The GAIN (Geriatric Anorexia Nutrition) Registry: the impact of appetite and weight on mortality in a long-term care population. J Nutr Health Aging 2002, 6, 275–281
- Labossiere R, Bernard MA.: Nutritional considerations in institutionalized elders. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008 Jan; 11(1): 1–6 CrossRef
- Davies L, Knutson KC. Warning signals for malnutrition in the elderly. J Am Diet Ass 1991; 91: 1413–1417.
- Volkert D, Hubsch S, Oster P, schliert G: Nutritional support and functional status in undernourished geriatric patients during hospitalisation and 6-month follow-up. Aging Clin Exp Res 1996, 8, 386–395
- Sullivan D, Lipschitz DA. Evaluating and treating nutritional problems in older patients. Clin Ger Med 1997; 13: 753–767.
- Omran ML, Morley JE. Assessment of protein energy malnutrition in older persons Nutrition 2000; 16: 50–63 CrossRef
- Zuliani G, Romagnoni F, Volpato S, Soattin L, Leoci V, BoIIini MC, Buttarello M, Lotto D, Fellin R: Nutritional parameters, body composition and progression of disability in older disabled residents living in nursing homes. J Gerontol 2001, 56A, M212–M216
- Brownie S: Why are elderly individuals at risk of nutritional deficiency? International J Nurs Pract 2006; 12: 110–118 CrossRef
- Robinson G, Goldstein M, Levine GM. Impact of nutritional status on DRG length of stay. JPEN 1987;11:49–51. CrossRef
- Delmi M, Rapin CH, Bengoa JM, et al. Dietary supplementation in elderly patients with fractured neck of the femur. Lancet 1990; 335:1013–1016. CrossRef
- Kerstetter, J.E., Holthausen, B.A., Fitz, P.A.: Malnutrition in the institutionalised adult. J Am Diet Ass 1992, 92, 1109–1118.
- Friedmann JM, Jensen GL, Smiciklas WH, et al. Predicting early nonelective hospital readmission in nutritionally compromised older adults. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;65:1714–1720.
- Cowan DT, Roberts JD, Fitzpatrick JM, While AE, Baldwin J: Nutritional status of older people in long term care settings. Int J Nurs Studies 2004,41, 225–237 CrossRef
- Hickson M: Malnutrition and ageing. Postgrad Med J 2006;82:2–8. CrossRef
- Predicting the outcome of long-term care by clinical and functional indices: The role of nutritional status
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
Volume 15, Issue 7 , pp 586-592
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nutritional status
- long-term care
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Medical Physiopathology (Food Science Section), “Sapienza” University of Rome, Rome, Italy
- 3. “Sapienza” University of Rome, Department of Medical Physiopathology, Food Science Section, P.le Aldo Moro, 5, 00185, Rome, Italy
- 1. Rehabilitation Clinical Institute “Villa delle Querce” — Nemi, Rome, Italy