Suitability of the short-form Mini nutritional assessment in free-living elderly people in the northwest of Spain
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To evaluate the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) test and the short-form MNA (MNA-SF) as screening tools for malnutrition risk and malnutrition in the free-living elderly of northwestern Spain.
free-living elderly people of northwestern Spain.
728 participants (36.4% men and 63.6% women), the average of age for both genders was 80.7±7.4.
according to MNA screening 12.5% subjects were classified as undernutrition (MNA<17) and 57.5% were at risk for undernutrition (17≤ MNA ≤23.5). Significant correlations were found between MNA-SF and the full version (r=0.916; p<0.000). The sensibility and specificity of the MNA-SF for the full MNA version were 81.4% and 92.7%, respectively. The regression analyses showed that weight loss had more influence on the MNA score, followed by the Body Mass Index (BMI), acute illness or psychological stress, mobility, self-perceived health status and neuropsychological problems.
These data showed a high prevalence of undernutrition risk among the free-living elderly people in northwestern Spain using the MNA test in two steps. The high sensitivity and specificity of MNA-SF might be sufficient for medical practice to identify patients at undernutrition risk or undernutrition. Generally, the full MNA confirmed the diagnosis for persons identified at risk by the MNA-SF, and planning was needed for nutritional interventions.
- Reynish W, Vellas BJ (2001) Nutritional assessment: a simple step forward. Age Ageing 30(2):115–116. CrossRef
- Vellas B, Guigoz Y, Garry PJ, Nourhashemi F, Bennahum D, Lauque S et al (1999) The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) and its use in grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. Nutr 15(2):116–122. CrossRef
- Unosson M, Ek A-C, Bjurulf P, Larsson J (1991) Demographical, sociomedical and physical characteristics in relation to malnutrition in geriatric patients. J Adv Nurs 16(12):1406–1412. CrossRef
- Larsson J, Unosson M, Ek AC, Nilsson L, Thorslund S, Bjurulf P (1990) Effect of dietary supplement on nutritional status and clinical outcome in 501 geriatric patients-a randomised study. Clin Nutr 9(4):179–184. CrossRef
- Gómez MA, Bañuelos de Lucas C, Ribera JM, Perez F (2006) Advances in geriatric cardiology (in Spanish) Rev Esp Cardiol 59Suppl1:105–109. CrossRef
- Sieber C (2006) Nutritional screening tools-How does the MNA® compare?. Proceedings of the sesión held in Chicago may 2–3, 2006 (15 years of Mini Nutritional Assessment). J Nutr Health Aging 10(6):488–494.
- Casimiro C, García de Lorenzo A, Usán L, Grupo de Estudio Cooperativo Geriátrico (2001) Evaluación del riesgo nutricional en pacientes ancianos ambulatorios. Nutr Hosp 16(3):97–103.
- Cuervo M, García A, Ansorena D, Sanchez-Villegas A, Martínez-González MA, Astiasarán I et al (2008) Nutritional assessment interpretation on 22007 spanish community-dwelling elders through the Mini Nutritional Assessment test. Public Health Nutr 12(1):82–90. CrossRef
- Omran ML, Morley JE (2000) Assessment of protein energy malnutrition in older persons, part 1: history, examination, body composition and screening tools. Nutr 16(1):50–63. CrossRef
- Guigoz Y, Vellas B, Garry PJ (1994) Mini Nutritional Assessment: A practical assessment tool for grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. Facts Res Gerontol 4Suppl2:15–59.
- Guigoz Y, Vellas B, Garry PJ (1996) Assessing the nutritional status of the elderly: mini nutritional assessment as a part of geriatric evaluation. Nutr Rev 54(1):59–65. CrossRef
- Guigoz Y, Lauque S, Vellas BJ (2002) Identifying the elderly at risk for malnutrition. The Mini Nutritional Assessment. Clin Geriatric Med 18:737–757. CrossRef
- Bauer JM, Kaiser MJ, Anthony P, Guigoz Y, Sieber CC (2008) The Mini Nutritional Assessment-its history, today`s practice, and future perspectives. Nutr Clin Pract 23(4):388–396. CrossRef
- Kondrup J, Allison SP, Elia M, Vellas B, Plauth M (2003) ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002. Clin Nutr 22(4):415–421. CrossRef
- Guigoz Y (2006) The Mini Nutritional Assessment Review of the literature-What does it tell us?. J Nutr Health Aging 10(6):466–487.
- Vellas B, Villars H, Abellan G, Soto ME, Rolland Y, Guigoz Y et al (2006) Overview of the MNA®. Its history and Challenges. J Nutr Health Aging 10(6):456–465.
- Rubenstein L, Harker J, Salvá A, Guigoz Y, Vellas B (2001) Screening for undernutrition in geriatric practice: developing the Short-Form Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA-SF). J Gerontol Med Sci 56(6):M366–M372.
- Kaiser MJ, Bauer JM, Ramsch C, Uetr W, Guigoz Y, Cederholm D et al (2009) Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment Short-Form (MNA-SF): a practical tool for identification of nutrition status. J Nutr Health Aging 13(9):782–788 CrossRef
- Guigoz Y, Vellas B, Garry PJ (1997) The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA): a practical assessment tool for grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. In Vellas B, Guigoz Y, Garry PJ, Albarede JL (ed) Nutrition in the elderly the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA). Facts Research and Intervention in Geriatrics. Serdi Publishing Co, Paris, pp:15–60.
- Chumlea WC, Roche AF, Steinbaugh ML (1985) Estimating stature from knee height for person 60 to 90 years of age. J Am Geriatr Soc 33:116–120.
- Gomez MJ, González FM, Sánchez C (2005) Nutritional status of a hospitalised aged population (in Spanish). Nutr Hosp 20(4):286–292.
- Ramón JM, Subirá C, Grupo Español de Investigación en Gerontología (2001) Prevalencia de malnutrición en la población anciana española. Med Clin (Barc) 117(20):766–770.
- Tur JA, Colomer M, Monino M, Bonnin T, Llompart I, Pons A (2005) Dietary intake and nutritional risk among free-living elderly people in Palma de Mallorca. J Nutr Health Aging 9(6):390–396.
- Morillas J, García-Talavera N, Martín-Pozuelo A, Reina AB, Zafrilla P (2006) Detection of hyponutrition risk in non-institutionalised elderly (in Spanish). Nutr Hosp 21(6):650–656.
- Delacorte RR, Moriguti JC, Matos FD, Pfrimer K, Marchini JS, Ferriolli E (2004) Mini Nutritional Assessment score and the risk for undernutrition in free-living older persons. J Nutr Health Aging 8(6):531–534.
- De Marchi RJ, Neves F, Balbinot J, Pereira DM (2008) Association between oral health status and nutritional status in south Brazilian independent-living older people. Nutr 24(6):546–553. CrossRef
- Eriksson BG, Dey DK, Hessler RM, Steen G, Steen B (2005) Relationship between MNA and SF-36 in a free-living elderly population aged 70 to 75. J Nutr Health Aging 9(4):212–220.
- Soini H, Routasalo P, Lagstrom H (2004) Characteristics of the Mini Nutritional Assessment in elderly home-care patients. Eur J Clin Nutr 58(1):64–70. CrossRef
- Soini H, Routasalo P, Lagstrom H (2005) Nutritional status in cognitively intact older people receiving home care services. A pilot study. J Nutr Health Aging 9(4):249–253.
- Tsai AC, Ho CS, Chang MC (2008) Assessing the prevalence of malnutrition with the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) in a nationally representative simple of elderly taiwenese. J. Nutr. Health Aging 12(4):239–243. CrossRef
- Tsai AC, Chang T-L, Chen JT, Yang T-W (2009) Population-specific modifications of the short-form Mini Nutritional Assessment and Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool for elderly Taiwanese. Int J Nurs Stud 46(8):1431–1438). CrossRef
- Unanue S, Badia-Capdevila H, Rodríguez-Requejo S, Sánchez-Pérez I, Coderch-Lassaletta J (2009) Factors related to nutritional status in geriatric patients receiving institutional and home care. Rev Esp Geriatr Gerontol 44(1):38–41. CrossRef
- Sandoval L, Varela L (1998) Evaluación del estado nutricional de pacientes adultos mayores ambulatorios. Rev Med Hered 9(3):104–108.
- Inoue K, Kato M (2007) Usefulness of the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) to evaluate the nutritional status of Japanese frail elderly under home care. Geriatric Gerontol Int 7:238:244. CrossRef
- Ziegler F, Déchelotte P (2009) L’évaluation nutritionnelle chez le sujet âgé en 2008. Nutr Clin Metab (Paris) 23(3):124–128.
- Kuzuya M, Kanda S, Koike T, Suzuki Y, Satake S, Iguchi A (2005) Evaluation of Mini Nutritional Assessment for frail elderly. Nutr 21(4):498–503. CrossRef
- Cohendy R, Rubenstein LZ, Eledjam JJ (2001) The Mini Nutritional Assessment-Short Form for preoperative nutritional evaluation of elderly patients. Aging 13(4):293–297.
- Wikby K, Ek AC, Christensson L (2008) The two-step Mini Nutritional Assessment procedure in community resident homes. J Clin Nurs 17(9):1211–1218. CrossRef
- Christensson L, Unosson M, Ek AC (2002) Evaluation of nutritional assessment techniques in elderly people newly admitted municipal care. Eu J Clin Nutr 56:810–818. CrossRef
- Cuervo M, Ansorena D, García A, Astiasarán I, Martínez JA (2008) Food consumption analysis in spanish elderly based upon the Mini Nutritional Assessment test. Nutr Metab 52:299–307. CrossRef
- Suitability of the short-form Mini nutritional assessment in free-living elderly people in the northwest of Spain
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 187-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA)
- nutritional status
- elderly people
- Industry Sectors