How is the risk of undernutrition associated with cardiovascular disease among individuals of advanced age?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The oldest old (85+) are the fastest growing population segment in New Zealand. Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the main cause of death and is associated with various risk factors including risk of undernutrition.
To determine if there is an association between CVD and nutrition risk in advanced age.
Three North Island locations (rural and urban areas) in New Zealand.
108 participants aged 85 years (75–79 for Maori).
Comprehensive health assessments were undertaken. Clinically manifest CVD was pre-defined and ascertained from interviews and hospitalisation records. Nutrition risk was assessed using a validated questionnaire-Seniors in the Community: Risk evaluation for eating and nutrition, Version II (SCREEN II).
72 participants (67%) had CVD (49% men); 52% of participants had a SCREEN II score <50. Those with CVD had lower HDL level [median(IQR)] [1.4(0.7) vs. 1.6(0.6)] (p=0.041), and higher waist circumference [97.5(19.1) vs. 89.3(20.6)] (p=0.043) compared to those without CVD. Those with CVD were at no greater nutrition risk than those without CVD (SCREEN II score: [49(7) vs. 51(10)] (p=0.365). Using logistic regression controlling for confounders, SCREEN II scores trended towards an inverse association with CVD (p=0.10).
Two thirds of the study participants had CVD and half were at risk of undernutrition. Nutrition risk was mildly associated with CVD. This study provides further evidence that those in advanced age are at risk of undernutrition. Further research is needed to establish how the causes and consequences of CVD are related to nutrition risk.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Ministry of Health New Zealand. Health of Older People in New Zealand: A Statistical Reference; 2002.
- Ministry of Health. A Portrait of Health: Key results of the 2002/03, New Zealand Health Survey. Wellington: Ministry of Health; 2004 August 2004.
- Norman K, Pichard C, Lochs H, Pirlich M. Prognostic impact of disease-related malnutrition. Clinical Nutrition. 2008 Feb;27(1):5–15.
- Srinivasan M, Roffe C. Nutritional status after acute stroke: is a stroke unit better than a general geriatric ward? Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging. 2008 May;12(5):323–325.
- Davis MA, Murphy SP, Neuhaus JM, Gee L, Quiroga SS. Living Arrangements Affect Dietary Quality for U.S. Adults Aged 50 Years and Older: NHANES III 1988–1994. J Nutr. 2000 September 1, 2000;130(9):2256–2264.
- Lee JS, Frongillo EA, Jr. Nutritional and Health Consequences Are Associated with Food Insecurity among U.S. Elderly Persons. J Nutr. 2001 May 1, 2001;131(5):1503–1509.
- Mojon P, Budtz-Jorgensen E, Rapin C-H. Relationship between oral health and nuitrition in very old people. Age and ageing. 1999;28:463–468. CrossRef
- Murray CJL, Lopez AD. Global mortality, disability, and the contribution of risk factors: Global Burden of Disease Study. The Lancet. 1997;349(9063):1436–1442. CrossRef
- Mackay J, Mensah GA. The Atlas of Heart Disease and Stroke. 2004 [cited 2009 28/7/2009]; Nonserial publication]. Available from: http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/resources/atlas/en/
- Sharkey JR. The Interrelationship of Nutritional Risk Factors, Indicators of Nutritional Risk, and Severity of Disability Among Home-Delivered Meal Participants. Gerontologist. 2002 June 1, 2002;42(3):373–380.
- Freedland KE, Rich MW, Skala JA, Carney RM, Davila-Roman VG, Jaffe AS. Prevalence of Depression in Hospitalized Patients With Congestive Heart Failure. Psychosom Med. 2003 January 1, 2003;65(1):119–128.
- Jensen GL, Friedmann JM, Coleman CD, Smiciklas-Wright H. Screening for hospitalization and nutritional risks among community-dwelling older persons. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 August 1, 2001;74(2):201–205.
- Thompson Martin C, Kayser-Jones J, Stotts N, Porter C, Froelicher ES. Nutritional Risk and Low Weight in Community-Living Older Adults: A Review of the Literature (1995–2005). J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006 September 1, 2006;61(9):927–934.
- Dey DK, Bosaeus I, Lissner L, Steen B. Changes in body composition and its relation to muscle strength in 75-year-old men and women: A 5-year prospective follow-up study of the NORA cohort in Göteborg, Sweden. Nutrition. 2009;25(6):613–619. CrossRef
- Amarantos E, Martinez A, Dwyer J. Nutrition and Quality of Life in Older Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001 October 1, 2001;56(90002):54–64.
- Locher JL, Ritchie CS, Robinson CO, Roth DL, Smith West D, Burgio KL. A Multidimensional Approach to Understanding Under-Eating in Homebound Older Adults: The Importance of Social Factors. Gerontologist. 2008 April 1, 2008;48(2):223–234.
- Keller HH. Promoting food intake in older adults living in the community: a review. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2007;32(6):991–1000. CrossRef
- Keller HH, Goy R, Kane S-L. Validity and reliability of SCREEN II (Seniors in the Community: Risk evaluation for eating and nutrition, Version II). European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005 13 July 2005;59:1449–1157. CrossRef
- Janssen I. Influence of Sarcopenia on the Development of Physical Disability: The Cardiovascular Health Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2006;54(1):56–62. CrossRef
- Reis JP, Macera CA, Araneta MR, Lindsay SP, Marshall SJ, Wingard DL. Comparison of Overall Obesity and Body Fat Distribution in Predicting Risk of Mortality. Obesity. 2009;17(6):1232–1239.
- Stevens JA, Olson S. Reducing Falls and Resulting Hip Fractures Among Older Women Recommendations and Reports: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Division of Unintentional Injury Prevention 2000 March 31, 2000.
- Johnson DW, Herzig KA, Purdie DM, Chang W, Brown AM, Rigby RJ, et al. Is obesity a favorable prognostic factor in peritoneal dialysis patients? Perit Dial Int. 2000 November 1, 2000;20(6):715–721.
- Sonya B. Why are elderly individuals at risk of nutritional deficiency? International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2006;12(2):110–118. CrossRef
- Carriere I, Dupuy A-M, Lacroux A, Cristol J-P, Delcourt C. Biomarkers of Inflammation and Malnutrition Associated with Early Death in Healthy Elderly People. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2008;56(5):840–846. CrossRef
- Reuben DB, Ferrucci L, Wallace R, Tracy RP, Corti M-C, Heimovitz H, et al. The prognostic value of serum albumin in healthy older persons with low and high serum Interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels. Journal of the Ameican Geriatrics Society. 2000;48(11):1404–1407.
- Lesourd B. Nutrition: A major factor influencing immunity in the elderly. Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging. 2004;8(1):28–37.
- Kelly PJ, Shih VE, Kistler JP, Barron M, Lee H, Mandell R, et al. Low Vitamin B6 but Not Homocyst(e)ine Is Associated With Increased Risk of Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack in the Era of Folic Acid Grain Fortification. Stroke. 2003 June;34(6):e51–e4. CrossRef
- Dobnig H, Pilz S, Scharnagl H, Renner W, Seelhorst U, Wellnitz B, et al. Independent Association of Low Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D Levels With All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality. Arch Intern Med. 2008 June 23, 2008;168(12):1340–1349. CrossRef
- New Zealand Guideline Group. The Assessment and Management of Cardiovascular Risk: New Zealand Guideline Group; 2003. Report No.: ISBN: 0-476-00091-2.
- Ministry of Health. Older people’s health chart book 2006. Wellington: Wellington: Ministry of Health; 2006 January 2007. Report No.: ISBN 978-0-30748-1.
- Edington J, Winter PD, Coles SJ, Gale CR, Martyn CN. Outcomes of undernutrition in patients in the community with cancer or cardiovascular disease. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 1999;58(03):655–661.
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists’ (CTT) Collaborators. Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins. The Lancet. 2005 2005/10/14/;366(9493):1267–78. CrossRef
- Geffken DF, Cushman M, Burke GL, Polak JF, Sakkinen PA, Tracy RP. Association between Physical Activity and Markers of Inflammation in a Healthy Elderly Population. Am J Epidemiol. 2001 February 1, 2001;153(3):242–250. CrossRef
- Ministry of Social Development. The Social Report 2008. Wellington: Ministry of Social Development; 2008.
- Peng C-YJ, Lee KL, Ingersoll GM. An introduction to logistic regression analysis and reporting. The Journal of Educational Research. 2002 09/01/;96(1):3 (13). CrossRef
- Keller HH, McKenzie JD. Nutritional risk in vulnerable community-living seniors. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2003 Winter;64(4):195–201. CrossRef
- Kurpad AV. Undernutrition. In: Gibney MJ, Elia M, Ljungqvist O, Dowsett J, editors. Clinical Nutrition. Oxford; Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Science; 2005. p. 62–75.
- Zock PL, Katan MB. Diet, LDL oxidation, and coronary artery disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998 October 1, 1998;68(4):759–760.
- Gopinath B, Rochtchina E, Flood V, Mitchell P. Association of Elevated Homocysteine Level and Vitamin B12 Deficiency With Anemia in Older Adults. Arch Intern Med. 2009 May 11, 2009;169(9):901–902.
- Carlson B, Riegel B, Moser DK. Self-care abilities of patients with heart failure. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care. 2001;30(5):351–359. CrossRef
- Stevens J, Cai J, Pamuk ER, Williamson DF, Thun MJ, Wood JL. The Effect of Age on the Association between Body-Mass Index and Mortality. N Engl J Med. 1998 January 1, 1998;338(1):1–7.
- Coin A, Sergi G, Inelmen EM, Enzi G. Pathophysiology of Body Composition Changes in Elderly People. Cachexia and Wasting: A Modern Approach; 2006. p. 369–375.
- Gelber RP, Gaziano JM, Orav EJ, Manson JE, Buring JE, Kurth T. Measures of Obesity and Cardiovascular Risk Among Men and Women. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2008;52(8):605–615. CrossRef
- Pischon T, Boeing H, Hoffmann K, Bergmann M, Schulze MB, Overvad K, et al. General and Abdominal Adiposity and Risk of Death in Europe. N Engl J Med. 2008 November 13, 2008;359(20):2105–2120. CrossRef
- Bernspang B, Asplund K, Eriksson S, Fugl-Meyer AR. Motor and perceptual impairments in acute stroke patients: effects on self-care ability. Stroke. 1987 November 1, 1987;18(6):1081–1086.
- Pinsky JL, Jette AM, Branch LG, Kannel WB, Feinleib M. The Framingham Disability Study: relationship of various coronary heart disease manifestations to disability in older persons living in the community. Am J Public Health. 1990 November 1, 1990;80(11):1363–1367. CrossRef
- Flegal KM, Graubard BI, Williamson DF, Gail MH. Cause-Specific Excess Deaths Associated With Underweight, Overweight, and Obesity. JAMA. 2007 November 7, 2007;298(17):2028–2037.
- Psaty BM, Anderson M, Kronmal RA, Tracy RP, Orchard T, Fried LP, et al. The association between lipid levels and the risks of incident myocardial infarction, stroke, and total mortality: The Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004;52:1639–1647. CrossRef
- Lawrence B. Hypertension and the Elderly: More Than Just Blood Pressure Control. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 2004;6(5):249–255. CrossRef
- Meneilly GS, Tessier D. Diabetes in Elderly Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001 January 1, 2001;56(1):M5–13.
- Liu L, Bopp MM, Roberson PK, Sullivan DH. Undernutrition and Risk of Mortality in Elderly Patients Within 1 Year of Hospital Discharge. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002 November 1, 2002;57(11):M741–746.
- Hirani V, Mindell J. A comparison of measured height and demi-span equivalent height in the assessment of body mass index among people aged 65 years and over in England. Age Ageing. 2008 February 6, 2008:afm197.
- Srikanthan P, Seeman TE, Karlamangla AS. Waist-Hip-Ratio as a Predictor of All-Cause Mortality in High-Functioning Older Adults. Annals of Epidemiology. 2009;19(10):724–731. CrossRef
- Koster A, Leitzmann MF, Schatzkin A, Mouw T, Adams KF, van Eijk JTM, et al. Waist Circumference and Mortality. Am J Epidemiol. 2008 June 15, 2008;167(12):1465–1475. CrossRef
About this Article
- How is the risk of undernutrition associated with cardiovascular disease among individuals of advanced age?
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
Volume 14, Issue 9 , pp 737-743
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cardiovascular disease
- nutrition risk
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
- 5. Dept of General Practice and Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland, 1142, New Zealand
- 2. Institute of Food Nutrition & Human Health, Massey University, Auckland, New Zealand
- 3. Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
- 4. Department of Medicine, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand