Anthropometric parameters of nutritional assessment as predictive factors of the MINI nutritional assessment (MNA) of hospitalized elderly patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The objective of this study was to identify nutritional indicators that predict MNA (mini nutritional assessment) classification in hospitalized elderly patients.
This cross-sectional study assessed the nutritional status of 109 elderly patients at the beginning of their hospital stay with anthropometric and laboratory indicators and the MNA. Habitual energy intake (HEI) was also determined. The assessed nutritional indicators were investigated by univariate and multivariate logistic regression analysis to verify if they can predict MNA classification. The odds ratio (OR) and its respective confidence interval (CI) of 95% were also calculated, and the significance level was set at 5% (p<0.05).
The nutritional status of most patients (61.47%) was appropriate but 30.28% were at risk of malnourishment and 8.26% were malnourished. Statistical differences were found for those aged more than 70 years and for arm circumference, body mass index, calf circumference, triceps skinfold thickness and mid-arm muscle circumference. Initially, the predictive factors identified by univariate logistic regression were body mass index (BMI) (p=0.0001; OR=0.825), calf circumference (CC) (p=0.0026; OR=0.832), arm circumference (AC) (p<0.0001; OR=0.787), triceps skinfold thickness (TST) (p=0.0014; OR=0.920) and mid-arm muscle circumference (MAMC) (p=0.0003; OR=0.975); later, multiple logistic regression analyses revealed that first AC (p=0.0025; OR=0.731 (0.597–0.895)), then BMI (p=<0.0001; OR=10.909 (3.298–36.085)) and finally TST (p=0.0040; OR=0.924 (0.876–0.975)) and MAMC (p=0.0010; OR=0.976 (0.962–0.990)) were factors that predict MNA classification.
In the conditions of this study, first AC, then BMI and finally TST and MAMC together were capable of predicting MNA classification.
- Guigoz, Y., Vellas, B., Garry, P.J. (1994) Mini nutritional assessment: A practical assessment tool for grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. Facts and Research in Gerontology Supplement: pp. 15-59
- Bauer, J.M., Sieber, C.C. (2007) Significance and diagnosis of malnutrition in the elderly. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 101: pp. 605-609
- Cuyac Lantigua, M., Santana Porbén, S. (2007) The Mini Nutritional Assessment of the elderly in the practice of a hospital geriatrics service: inception, validation and operational characteristics. Arch Latinoam Nutr 54: pp. 255-265
- Ferreira, L.S., Nascimento, L.F., Marucci, M.F. (2008) Use of the mini nutritional assessment tool in elderly people from long-term institutions of southeast of Brazil. J Nutr Health & Aging 12: pp. 213-217 CrossRef
- González Hernández, A., Cuyá Lantigua, M., González Escudero, H., Sánchez Gutiérrez, R., Cortina Martínez, R., Barreto Penié, J., Santana Porbén, S., Rojas Pérez, A. (2007) Nutritional status of Cuban elders in three different geriatric scenarios: community, geriatrics service, nursery home. Arch Latinoam Nutr 57: pp. 266-272
- Tsai, A.C., Ho, C.S., Chang, M.C. (2008) Assessing the Prevalence of Malnutrition with the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) in a Nationally Representative Sample of Elderly Taiwanese. J Nutr Health & Aging 12: pp. 239-243 CrossRef
- Lei, Z., Qingyi, D., Feng, G., Chen, W., Shoshana Hock, R., Changli, W. (2009) Clinical study of mini-nutritional assessment for older chinese inpatients. J Nutr Health & Aging 13: pp. 871-875 CrossRef
- Izawa, S., Kuzuya, M., Okada, K., Enoki, H., Koike, T., Kanda, S., Iguchi, A. (2006) The nutritional status of frail elderly with care needs according to the mini-nutritional assessment. Clinical Nutrition 25: pp. 962-967 CrossRef
- Jones, J.M. (2002) The methodology of nutritional screening and assessment tools. J Hum Nutr Diet 15: pp. 59-71 CrossRef
- Martins, C.P., Correia, J.R., Amaral, T.F. (2005) Undernutrition risk screening and length of stay of hospitalized elderly. J Nutr Elder 25: pp. 5-21 CrossRef
- Rauen, M.S., Moreira, E.A.M., Calvo, M.C.M., Lobo, A.S. (2008) Avaliação do estado nutricional de idosos institucionalizados. Rev Nutr 21: pp. 303-310 CrossRef
- Gaino, N.M., Leandro-Merhi, V.A., Oliveira, M.R.M. (2007) Idosos hospitalizados: estado nutricional, dieta, doença e tempo de internação. Rev Bras Nutr Clin 22: pp. 273-279
- BRASIL: Lei no. 8.842, de 4 de janeiro de 1994. Dispõe sobre a política nacional do idoso, cria o Conselho Nacional do Idoso e dá outras providências. [http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/leis/L8842.htm].
- Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. World Health Organization, Geneva
- Frisancho, A.R. (1981) New norms of upper limb fat and muscle areas for assessment of nutritional status. Am J Clin Nutr 34: pp. 2540-2545
- Burr, M.L., Phillips, M.K. (1984) Anthropometric norms in the elderly. Br J Nutr 51: pp. 165-169 CrossRef
- Lipschitz, D.A. (1994) Screening for nutritional status in the elderly. Prim Care 22: pp. 55-67
- Escola Paulista de Medicina. Programa de Apoio a Nutrição (NUTWIN) — programa de computador, versão 1.5. UNIFESP/EPM, São Paulo
- Harris, J., Benedict, F. (1919) A biometric study of basal metabolism in man. Carnegie Institute of Washington, Washington D.C.
- Conover, W.J. (1971) Practical Nonparametric Statistics. John Wiley & Sons Inc., Nova Iorque
- Tabachnick, B.G., Fidell, L.S. (2001) Using Multivariate Statistics. Allyn&Bacon., Needham Heights. MA. USA
- SAS System for Windows (Statistical Analysis System), versão 9.1.3 Service Pack 3. SAS Institute Inc, 2002–2003, Cary, NC, USA.
- Cereda, E., Valzolgher, L., Pedrolli, C. (2008) Mini nutritional assessment is a good predictor of functional status in institutionalised elderly at risk of malnutrition. Clin Nutr 27: pp. 700-705 CrossRef
- Kondrup, J., Allison, S.P., Elia, M., Vellas, B., Plauth, M. (2003) Educational and Clinical Practice Committee, European Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ESPEN). ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002. Clin Nutr 22: pp. 415-421 CrossRef
- Bo, M., Massaia, M., Raspo, S., Bosco, F., Cena, P., Molaschi, M., Fabris, F. (2003) Preventive factors of in-hospital mortality in older patients admitted to a medical intensive care unit. J Am Geriatr Soc 51: pp. 529-533 CrossRef
- Guigoz, Y. (2006) The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) review of the literature-What does it tell us?. J Nutr Health & Aging 10: pp. 466-485
- Kaiser, M.J., Bauer, J.M., Ramsch, C., Uter, W., Guigoz, Y., Cederholm, T., Thomas, D.R., Anthony, P., Charlton, K.E., Maggio, M., Tsai, A.C., Grathwohl, D., Vellas, B., Sieber, C.C. (2009) Validation of the mini nutritional assessment short-form (MNA ®-SF): a practical tool for identification of nutritional status. J Nutr Health & Aging 13: pp. 782-788 CrossRef
- Venzin, R.M., Kamber, N., Keller, W.C.F., Suter, P.M., Reinhart, W.H. (2009) How important is malnutrition? A prospective study in internal medicine. Eur J Clin Nutr 63: pp. 430-436 CrossRef
- Beghetto, M.G., Luft, V.C., Mello, E.D., Polanczyk, C.A. (2009) Accuracy of nutritional assessment tools for predicting adverse hospital outcomes. Nutr Hosp 24: pp. 56-62
- Pereira Borges, N., Alegria Silva, B.D., Cohen, C., Portari Filho, P.E., Medeiros, F.J. (2009) Comparison of the nutritional diagnosis, obtained through different methods and indicators, in patients with cancer. Nutr Hosp 24: pp. 51-55
- Correia, I.M.T.D., Waitzberg, D.L. (2003) The impact of malnutrition on morbidity, mortality, length of hospital stay and costs evaluated through a multivariate model analysis. Clin Nutr 22: pp. 235-239 CrossRef
- Cuervo, M., Ansorena, D., Garcia, A., González Martínez, M.A., Astiasarán, I., Martínez, J.A. (2009) Valoración de la circunferencia de la pantorrilla como indicador de riesgo de desnutrición en personas mayores. Nutr Hosp 24: pp. 63-67
- Mclellan, K.C.P., Staudt, C., Silva, F.R.F., Bernardi, J.L.D., Frenhani, P.B., Leandro-Merhi, V.A. (2010) The use of calf circumference measurement as an anthropometric tool to monitor nutritional status in elderly inpatients. J Nutr Health & Aging 14: pp. 266-270 CrossRef
- Anthropometric parameters of nutritional assessment as predictive factors of the MINI nutritional assessment (MNA) of hospitalized elderly patients
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 181-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- mini nutritional assessment
- nutritional indicators
- predictive factors
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Nutrition, Puc-Campinas-SP, Brazil
- 3. Institution: School of Nutrition and Medicine, Puc-Campinas-SP, Brazil
- 4. Bairro: Jardim Madalena, Residencial Vila Verde, Av. Carlos Grimaldi, 1171, Quadra D-13, Cep.:- 13091-906-, Campinas-SP, Brazil
- 2. School of Medicine, Puc-Campinas-SP, Brazil