Who will become malnourished? A prospective study of factors associated with malnutrition in older persons living at home
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To describe the nutritional status of older persons living at home, to investigate factors of importance for nutritional status, and to describe possible relationships between nutritional status and health-related quality of life (HRQoL).
A longitudinal study using data from older persons born between 1916 and 1925. Data were collected at three occasions separated by four-year intervals.
Data collection was carried out in the participants’ own homes. An experimenter administered all tests and conducted the interviews.
A randomized selection from the Swedish Twin Register included 258 persons, all still living at home.
Nutritional status was assessed using the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA), cognitive function using the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) and HRQoL using the Nottingham Health Profile (NHP). Questions covering physical, psychological and social factors that may have an impact on nutritional status were also posed.
Approximately 17% of participants were assessed as being at risk for malnutrition or as being malnourished. Cognitive impairment, reduced perceived health, recent hospital stay and receiving meals-on-wheels were factors associated with being at risk for malnutrition.
Being at risk for malnutrition is common in older persons living at home, and many factors related to frailty increase this risk in later life. Making use of knowledge of these factors when giving care to older persons may be important in preventing nutritional problems.
- Topinková, E. (2008) Aging, disability and frailty. Annals of nutrition & metabolism 52: pp. 6-11 CrossRef
- Guigoz, Y. (2006) The mini nutritional assessment (MNA). Review of the literature-what does it tell us?. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 10: pp. 466-477
- Izawa, S., Kuzuya, M., Okada, K., Enoki, H., Loike, T., Knada, S. (2006) The nutritional status of frail elderly with care needs according to the mini-nutritional assessment. Clinical nutrition 25: pp. 962-967 CrossRef
- Saletti A, Yifter Lindgren E, Johansson L, Cederholm T. Nutritional status according to mini nutritional assessment in an institutionalized elderly population in Sweden. Gerontology. 2000;46(139–145).
- Chen, C.-H., Schilling, L.S., Lyder, C.H. (2001) A concept analysis of malnutrition in the elderly. Nursing theory and concept development or analysis 36: pp. 131-142
- Unosson, M., Ek, A.-C., Bjurulf, P., Larsson, J. (1991) Demographical, sociomedical and physical characteristics in relation to malnutrition in geriatric patients. Journal of advanced nursing 16: pp. 1406-1412 CrossRef
- Ödlund Olin, A., Koochek, A., Ljungqvist, O., Cederholm, T. (2005) Nutritional status, wellbeing and functional ability in frail elderly service flat residents. European journal of clinical nutrition 59: pp. 263-270 CrossRef
- Akner, G., Cederholm, T. (2001) Treatment of protein-energy malnutrition in chronic nonmalignant disorders. The American journal of clinical nutrition 74: pp. 6-24
- Keller, H.H., Øtbye, T., Goy, R. (2004) Nutritional risk predicts quality of life in elderly community-living Canadians. The journals of gerontology 59: pp. 68-74
- Vetta, F., Ronzoni, S., Taglieri, G., Bollea, M.R. (1999) The impact of malnutrition on the quality of life in the elderly. Clinical nutrition 18: pp. 259-267 CrossRef
- Christensson, L., Unosson, M., Ek, A. (1999) Malnutrition in elderly people newly admitted to a community resident home. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 3: pp. 133-139
- Steen, B., Rothenberg, E. (1998) Aspects on nutrition of the elderly at home-a review. The journal of nutritional, health & aging 2: pp. 28-33
- Kullberg, K., Åberg, A.C., Bjorklund, A., Ekbald, J., Sidenvall, B. (2008) Daily eating events among co-living and single-living diseased older men. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 12: pp. 176-182 CrossRef
- Bates, C.J., Benton, D., Biesalski, H.K., Staehelin, H.B., Staveren, W., Stehle, P. (2002) Nutrition and aging: a consensus statement. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 6: pp. 103-116
- McCormack, P. (1997) Undernutrition in the elderly population living at home in the community: a review of the literature. Journal of advanced nursing 26: pp. 856-863 CrossRef
- Pirlich, M., Lochs, H. (2001) Nutrition in the elderly. Best practice & research. Clinical gastroenterology 15: pp. 869-884
- Alibhai, S.M.H., Greenwood, C.E., Payette, H. (2005) An approach to the management of unintentional weight loss in elderly people. Canadian Medical Association journal 172: pp. 773-780 CrossRef
- Elsner, R.J. (2002) Changes in eating behavior during the aging process. Eating behaviors 3: pp. 15-43 CrossRef
- Watson, R., Green, S.M. (2006) Feeding and dementia: a systematic literature review. Journal of advanced nursing 54: pp. 86-93 CrossRef
- Gustafsson, K., Sidenvall, B. (2002) Food-related health perceptions and food habits among older women. Journal of advanced nursing 39: pp. 164-173 CrossRef
- Coutts, A. (2001) Nutrition and the life cycle 5: nutritional needs of older adults. The British journal of nursing 10: pp. 603-607
- Christensson, L., Ek, A.-C., Unosson, M. (2001) Individually adjusted meals for older people with protein-energy malnutrition: a single-case study. Journal of clinical nursing 10: pp. 491-502 CrossRef
- Gold, C.H., Malmberg, B., McClearn, G.E., Pedersen, N.L., Berg, S. (2002) Gender and Health: A study of Older Unlike-Sex Twins. Journal of gerontology 57B: pp. 168-176
- Guigoz Y, Vellas B, Garry PJ. Mini Nutritional Assessment: a practical tool for grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. Facts and Research in Gerontology. 1994/1995; 2nd ed.: 15–81.
- Folstein, M., Folstein, S., McHugh, P. (1975) Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. Journal of psychiatric research 12: pp. 189-198 CrossRef
- Hunt, S.M., McEwen, J., McKenna, S.P. (1986) Measuring health status. Croom Helm, London
- Wiklund, I. (1992) Svensk version av Nottingham Health Profile. Ett frågeformulär som mäter hälsorelaterad livskvalitet. OFTA Grafiska, Göteborg
- Aevarsson, O., Skoog, I. (2000) A Longitudinal Population Study of the Mini-Mental State Examination in the Very Old: Relation to Dementia and Education. Dementia and geriatric cognitive disorders 11: pp. 166-175 CrossRef
- Grut, M., Fratiglioni, L., Viitanen, M., Winblad, B. (1993) Accuracy of the Mini-Mental Status Examination as a screening test for dementia in a Swedish elderly population. Acta neurologica Scandinavica 87: pp. 312-317 CrossRef
- Klein, B.E.K., Klien, R., Knudtson, M.D., Lee, K.E. (2005) Frailty, morbidity and survival. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics 41: pp. 141-149 CrossRef
- Corish, C.A., Flood, P., Kennedy, N.P. (2004) Comparison of nutritional risk screening tools in patients on admission to hospital. Journal of human nutrition and dietetics: the official journal of the British Dietetics Association 17: pp. 133-139
- Thorsdottir, I., Jonsson, P.V., Asgeirsdottir, A.E., Hjaltadottir, I., Bjornsson, S., Ramel, A. (2005) Fast and simple screening for nutritional status in hospitalized, elderly people. Journal of human nutrition and dietetics: the official journal of the British Dietetics Association 18: pp. 53-60
- Dementia — Etiology and Epidemiology. A Systematic Review. SBU, Stockholm
- Rivière, S., Gillette-Guyonnet, S., Voisin, T., Reynish, E., Andrieu, S., Lauque, S. (2001) A nutritional education program could prevent weight loss and slow cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 5: pp. 295-299
- Saletti, A., Johansson, L., Yifter-Lindgren, E., Wissing, U., Österberg, K., Cederholm, T. (2005) Nutritional status and a 3-year follow-up in elderly receiving support at home. Gerontology 51: pp. 192-198 CrossRef
- Christensson, L., Unosson, M., Ek, A. (2003) Measurement of perceived health problems as a means of detecting elderly people at risk of malnutrition. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 7: pp. 257-262
- Lamb, S.E., Guralnik, J.M., Buchner, D.M., Ferrucci, L.M., Hochberg, M.C., Simonsick, E.M. (2000) Factors that modify the association between knee pain and mobility limitation in older women: the women’s health and aging study. Annals of the rheumatic diseases 59: pp. 331-337 CrossRef
- Onder, G., Cesari, M., Russo, A., Zamboni, V., Bernabei, R., Landi, F. (2006) Association between daily pain and physical function among old-old adults living in the community: results from the ilSIRENTE study. Pain 121: pp. 53-59 CrossRef
- Soldato, M., Liperoti, R., Landi, F., Finne-Sovery, H., Carpenter, I., Fialova, D. (2007) Non malignant daily pain and risk of disability among older adults in home care in Europe. Pain 129: pp. 304-310 CrossRef
- Eriksson, B.G., Dey, D.K., Hessler, R.M., Steen, G., Steen, B. (2005) Relationship between MNA and SF-36 in a free-living elderly population aged 70 to 75. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 9: pp. 212-220
- Keller, H.H. (2004) Nutrition and health-related quality of life in frail older adults. The journal of nutrition, health & aging 8: pp. 245-252
- Sidenvall, B., Nydahl, M., Fjellström, C. (2001) Managing food shopping and cooking: the experiences of older Swedish women. Ageing and society 21: pp. 151-168 CrossRef
- Kazdin, A.E. (2003) Research Design in Clinical Psychology. Allyn & Bacon, Boston
- Sidenvall, B., Fjellström, C., Andersson, J., Gustafsson, K., Nygren, U., Nydahl, M. (2002) Reasons among older Swedish women of not participating in a food survey. European journal of clinical nutrition 56: pp. 561-567 CrossRef
- Simmons, S.F., Johansson, B., Zarit, S.H., Ljungqvist, O., Plomin, R., McClearn, G.E. (1997) Selection Bias in Samples of Older Twins?. Journal of aging and health 9: pp. 553-567 CrossRef
- Who will become malnourished? A prospective study of factors associated with malnutrition in older persons living at home
The journal of nutrition, health & aging
Volume 13, Issue 10 , pp 855-861
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nutritional status
- older persons
- living at home
- longitudinal study
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Nursing Science, School of Health Sciences, Jönköning University, Jönköning, Sweden
- 3. School of Health Sciences, Jönköning University, Box 1026, S-551 11, Jönköning, Sweden
- 2. Institute of Gerontology, School of Health Sciences, Jönköning University, Jönköning, Sweden