Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment short-form (MNA®-SF): A practical tool for identification of nutritional status
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To validate a revision of the Mini Nutritional Assessment short-form (MNA®-SF) against the full MNA, a standard tool for nutritional evaluation.
A literature search identified studies that used the MNA for nutritional screening in geriatric patients. The contacted authors submitted original datasets that were merged into a single database. Various combinations of the questions on the current MNA-SF were tested using this database through combination analysis and ROC based derivation of classification thresholds.
Twenty-seven datasets (n=6257 participants) were initially processed from which twelve were used in the current analysis on a sample of 2032 study participants (mean age 82.3y) with complete information on all MNA items. The original MNA-SF was a combination of six questions from the full MNA. A revised MNA-SF included calf circumference (CC) substituted for BMI performed equally well. A revised three-category scoring classification for this revised MNA-SF, using BMI and/or CC, had good sensitivity compared to the full MNA.
The newly revised MNA-SF is a valid nutritional screening tool applicable to geriatric health care professionals with the option of using CC when BMI cannot be calculated. This revised MNA-SF increases the applicability of this rapid screening tool in clinical practice through the inclusion of a “malnourished” category.
- Vellas B, Villars H, Abellan G, Soto ME, Rolland Y, Guigoz Y, Morley JE, Chumlea W, Salva A, Rubenstein LZ, Garry P. Overview of the MNA-Its history and challenges. J Nutr Health Aging. 2006 Nov–Dec;10(6):456–463;discussion 463–5.
- Guigoz Y. The Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA) review of the literature—What does it tell us? J Nutr Health Aging. 2006 Nov–Dec;10(6):466–485; discussion 485–7.
- Bauer JM, Kaiser MJ, Anthony P, Guigoz Y, Sieber CC. The Mini Nutritional Assessment-its history, today’s practice, and future perspectives. Nutr Clin Pract. 2008 Aug–Sep;23(4):388–396. CrossRef
- Kondrup J, Allison SP, Elia M, Vellas B, Plauth M; Educational and Clinical Practice Committee, European Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ESPEN).ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002. Clin Nutr. 2003 Aug;22(4):415–421. CrossRef
- Rubenstein LZ, Harker JO, Salva A, Guigoz Y, Vellas B. Screening for undernutrition in geriatric practice: developing the short-form Mini-Nutritional Assessment (MNA-SF). J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001;56:M366–372.
- Elia M. Screening for Malnutrition: A Multidisciplinary Responsibility. Development and Use of the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool (MUST) for Adults. Malnutrition Advisory Group (MAG), a Standing Committee of BAPEN. Redditch, Worcs.: BAPEN; 2003.
- Kruizenga HM, Seidell JC, de Vet HC, Wierdsma NJ, van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren MA. Development and validation of a hospital screening tool for malnutrition: the short nutritional assessment questionnaire (SNAQ). Clin Nutr. 2005 Feb;24(1):75–82. CrossRef
- Kondrup J, Rasmussen HH, Hamberg O et al. ESPEN working group. Nutritional risk screening (NRS 2002): a new method based on an analysis of controlled clinical trials. Clin Nutr. 2003;22:321–336. CrossRef
- Anthony PS. Nutrition screening tools for hospitalized patients. Nutr Clin Pract. 2008 Aug–Sep;23(4):373–382. CrossRef
- Charlton KE, Kolbe-Alexander TL, Nel JH. Development of a novel nutrition screening tool for use in elderly South Africans. Public Health Nutrition. 2005;8(5):468–479. CrossRef
- Tsai AC, Ku PY. Population-specific Mini Nutritional Assessment effectively predicts the nutritional state and follow-up mortality of institutionalized elderly Taiwanese regardless of cognitive status. Br J Nutr. 2007 Dec; 1–7.
- Guigoz Y, Vellas B, Garry PJ. Mini Nutritional Assessment: a practical assessment tool for grading the nutritional state of elderly patients. Facts Res Gerontol. 1994:15–59.
- Kaiser R, Winning K, Uter W, Lesser S, Stehle P, Sieber CC, Bauer JM. Comparison of two different approaches for the application of the Mini Nutritional Assessment in nursing homes: resident interviews versus assessment by nursing staff. JNHA, in press.
- Norman K, Smoliner C, Valentini L, Lochs H, Pirlich M. Is bioelectrical impedance vector analysis of value in the elderly with malnutrition and impaired functionality? Nutrition. 2007 Jul–Aug;23(7–8):564–569. CrossRef
- Pauly L. Die Bonner Altenheim-Studie: Integrierte Betrachtung der Ernährungssituation von Alten-heimbewohnern. University of Bonn, Germany. Thesis 2009. URL: http://hss.ulb.uni-bonn.de/diss_online/landw_fak/2009/pauly_lioba.
- Heseker H, Stehle P, Bai J, Lesser S, Overzier S, Paker-Eichelkraut S, Strathmann S. Ernährung älterer Menschen in stationären Einrichtungen (ErnSTES-Studie). In: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ernährung (Hrsg.): Ernährungsbericht 2008. Druck Center Meckenheim GmbH, Meckenheim (2008) S. 157–204.
- Elkan AC, Engvall IL, Tengstrand B, Cederholm T, Hafström I. Malnutrition in women with rheumatoid arthritis is not revealed by clinical anthropometrical measurements or nutritional evaluation tools. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008 Oct;62(10):1239–1247. CrossRef
- Ödlund Olin A, Koochek A, Ljungqvist O, Cederholm T. Nutritional status, wellbeing and functional ability in frail elderly service flat residents. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005 Feb;59(2):263–270. CrossRef
- Ruiz-López MD, Artacho R, Oliva P, Moreno-Torres R, Bolaños J, de Teresa C, López MC. Nutritional risk in institutionalized older women determined by the Mini Nutritional Assessment test: what are the main factors? Nutrition. 2003 Sep;19(9):767–771. CrossRef
- Magri F, Borza A, del Vecchio S, Chytiris S, Cuzzoni G, Busconi L, Rebesco A, Ferrari E. Nutritional assessment of demented patients: a descriptive study. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2003 Apr;15(2):148–153.
- Essed NH, van Staveren WA, Kok FJ, de Graaf C. No effect of 16 weeks flavor enhancement on dietary intake and nutritional status of nursing home elderly. Appetite. 2007 Jan;48(1):29–36. CrossRef
- Visvanathan R, Penhall R, Chapman I. Nutritional screening of older people in a subacute care facility in Australia and its relation to discharge outcomes. Age Ageing 2004;33:260–265. CrossRef
- Izawa S, Kuzuya M, Okada K, Enoki H, Koike T, Kanda S, Iguchi A. The nutritional status of frail elderly with care needs according to the mini-nutritional assessment. Clin Nutr. 2006 Dec;25(6):962–967. CrossRef
- Charlton KE, Kolbe-Alexander TL, Nel JH. The MNA, but not the DETERMINE, screening tool is a valid indicator of nutritional status in elderly Africans. Nutrition. 2007 Jul–Aug;23(7–8):533–542. CrossRef
- Pepersack T. Outcomes of continuous process improvement of nutritional care program among geriatric units. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2005 Jun;60(6):787–792.
- Venzin RM, Kamber N, Keller WC, Suter PM, Reinhart WH. How important is malnutrition? A prospective study in internal medicine. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Mar;63(3):430–436. CrossRef
- Saeglitz C. Mangelernährung bei geriatrischen Patienten im Krankenhaus — Prävalenz, mögliche Ursachen, übliche Therapie und prognostische Bedeutung. University of Bonn, Germany. Thesis 2007. URL: http://hss.ulb.unibonn.de/diss_online/landw_fak/2007/saeglitz_claudia.
- Gómez Ramos MJ, González Valverde FM. High prevalence of undernutrition in Spanish elders admitted to a general hospital and associated factors. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 2005 Mar;55(1):71–76.
- Schneider SM, Albrecht C, Arab N, Estran S, Vecchio V, Quaranta JF, Négrel M, Guérin O, Hébuterne X, Brocker P. GNRI is the most sensitive marker of malnutrition in a geriatric ward. 28th Congress of the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN). Istanbul,19–22 October 2006. e-SPEN 2006;1:154 (P).
- Gerber V, Krieg MA, Cornuz J, Guigoz Y, Burckhardt P. Nutritional status using the Mini Nutritional Assessment questionnaire and its relationship with bone quality in a population of institutionalized elderly women. J Nutr Health Aging. 2003;7(3):140–145.
- Rolland Y, Pillard F, Klapouszczak A, Reynish E, Thomas D, Andrieu S, Rivière D, Vellas B. Exercise program for nursing home residents with Alzheimer’s disease: a 1-year randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007 Feb;55(2):158–165. CrossRef
- Langkamp-Henken B, Hudgens J, Stechmiller JK, Herrlinger-Garcia KA. Mini nutritional assessment and screening scores are associated with nutritional indicators in elderly people with pressure ulcers. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005 Oct;105(10):1590–1596. CrossRef
- Dumartheray EW, Krieg MA, Cornuz J, Whittamore DR, Lovell DP, Burckhardt P, Lanham-New SA. Validation and reproducibility of a semi-quantitative Food Frequency Questionnaire for use in elderly Swiss women. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2006 Oct;19(5):321–330. CrossRef
- Dumartheray EW, Krieg MA, Cornuz J, Whittamore DR, Lanham-New SA, Burckhardt P. Energy and nutrient intake of Swiss women aged 75–87 years. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2006 Dec;19(6):431–435. CrossRef
- Rolland Y, Pillard F, Garrigue E, Amouyal K, Riviere D, Vellas B. Nutritional intake and recreational physical activity in healthy elderly women living in the community. J Nutr Health Aging. 2005 Nov–Dec;9(6):397–402.
- Donini LM, Savina C, Rosano A, De Felice MR, Tassi L, De Bernardini L, Pinto A, Giusti AM, Cannella C. MNA predictive value in the follow-up of geriatric patients. J Nutr Health Aging. 2003;7(5):282–293.
- Thomas DR, Zdrowski CD, Wilson MM, Conright KC, Lewis C, Tariq S, Morley JE. Malnutrition in subacute care. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Feb;75(2):308–313.
- Kuzuya M, Kanda S, Koike T, Suzuki Y, Satake S, Iguchi A. Evaluation of Mini-Nutritional Assessment for Japanese frail elderly. Nutrition. 2005 Apr;21(4):498–503. CrossRef
- Guigoz Y, Lauque S, Vellas BJ. Identifying the elderly at risk for malnutrition. The Mini Nutritional Assessment. Clin Geriatr Med. 2002 Nov;18(4):737–757. CrossRef
- Nutritional support strategy for protein-energy malnutrition in the elderly. Guidelines. Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS), France. April 2007.
- Vellas B, Lauque S, Andrieu S, Nourhashemi F, Rolland Y, Baumgartner R, Garry P. Nutrition assessment in the elderly. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2001 Jan;4(1):5–8. CrossRef
- Rolland Y, Lauwers-Cances V, Cournot M, Nourhashémi F, Reynish W, Rivière D, Vellas B, Grandjean H. Sarcopenia, calf circumference, and physical function of elderly women: a cross-sectional study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003 Aug;51(8):1120–1124. CrossRef
- Jauffret M Jusot JF Bonnefoy M. Anthropometric markers and malnutrition in elderly people: calf circumference interest. Age & Nutrition. 1999;10(3):163–169.
- Bonnefoy M, Jauffret M, Kostka T, Jusot JF. Usefulness of calf circumference measurement in assessing the nutritional state of hospitalized elderly people. Gerontology. 2002 May–Jun;48(3):162–169. CrossRef
- Validation of the Mini Nutritional Assessment short-form (MNA®-SF): A practical tool for identification of nutritional status
JNHA - The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging
Volume 13, Issue 9 , pp 782-788
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Mini Nutritional Assessment
- body mass index
- calf circumference
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute for the Biomedicine of Aging, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg, Heimerichstrasse 58, 90419, Nuremberg, Germany
- 2. Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg, Waldstrasse 6, Erlangen, Germany
- 3. Nestlé Nutrition/HealthCare Nutrition, Rte des Avouillons 30, CH-1196, Gland, Switzerland
- 4. Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala Science Park, 75185, Uppsala, Sweden
- 5. Division of Geriatric Medicine, Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center, Saint Louis, MO, 63104, USA
- 6. School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong, NSW, 2522, Australia
- 7. Department of Internal Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Section of Geriatrics, University Hospital of Parma, Parma, Italy
- 8. Graduate Institute of Long-Term Care, Department of Healthcare Administration, Asia University, Wufeng, Taichung, 41354, Taiwan, ROC
- 9. Nestlé Research Center, Vers-chez-les-Blancs, CH-1000, Lausanne 26, Switzerland
- 10. Department of Geriatrics, INSERM U 558, Toulouse University Hospital Center, 31300, Toulouse, France