The effect of a nutrient dense drink on mental and physical function in institutionalized elderly people
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To determine whether in the current study the supply of a nutrient dense drink has a positive effect on mental and physical function of institutionalized elderly people.
A 24-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, intervention trial.
Homes for the elderly and nursing homes in the Netherlands.
Institutionalized elderly people older than 60 years, with a BMI ≤ 30 kg/m2, and a Mini-Mental State Examination score of at least 10 points.
In addition to their usual diet the participants (n=176) received either a nutrient dense drink or a placebo drink twice a day during 24 weeks.
The functionality measures included cognitive function, mood, physical performance and the ability to perform activities of daily living.
In the supplement group a favorable effect of the intervention drink on body weight (1.6 kg difference in change; P =.035), calf circumference (0.9 cm difference in change; P =.048), and blood values (e.g. Hcy decreased from 16.8 to 11.2 µmol/L in the supplement group) was found. In the total group no significant effect was found on functionality outcomes. However, a subgroup of participants with BMI at baseline below 24.4 kg/m2 performed better on the cognitive subscale of Alzheimer’s Disease Assessment Scale (P =.09), and its language sub score (P =.01) after 24 weeks of intervention.
The results in the total group of this trial suggest that the nutritional supplement used in this study improves nutritional status. Furthermore, the results of this trial suggest that it is effective as treatment for decreasing function in a subgroup of institutionalized elderly people with low BMI.
- Rowe, J.W., Kahn, R.L. (1987) Human aging: Usual and successful. Science 237: pp. 143-149 CrossRef
- Harris, T.B., Feldman, J.J. (1991) Implications of health status in analysis of risk in older persons. J Aging Health 3: pp. 262-284 CrossRef
- van-der-Wielen, R.P., van-Heereveld, H.A., de-Groot, C.P. (1995) Nutritional status of elderly female nursing home residents; the effect of supplementation with a physiological dose of water-soluble vitamins. Eur J Clin Nutr 49: pp. 665-674
- Wouters-Wesseling, W., Wouters, A.E., Kleijer, C.N. (2002) Study of the effect of a liquid nutrition supplement on the nutritional status of psycho-geriatric nursing home patients. Eur J Clin Nutr 56: pp. 245-251 CrossRef
- Guigoz, Y., Lauque, S., Vellas, B.J. (2002) Identifying the elderly at risk for malnutrition. The Mini Nutritional Assessment. Clin Geriatr Med 18: pp. 737-757 CrossRef
- Fiatarone Singh, M.A., Bernstein, M.A., Ryan, N.D. (2000) The effect of oral nutritional supplements on habitual dietary quality and quantity in frail elders. J Nutr Health Aging 4: pp. 5-12
- Lauque, S., Arnaud Battandier, F., Mansourian, R. (2000) Protein-energy oral supplementation in malnourished nursing-home residents. A controlled trial. Age Ageing 29: pp. 51-56 CrossRef
- Faxén-Irving, G., Andrén-Olsson, B., af-Geijerstam, A. (2002) The effect of nutritional intervention in elderly subjects residing in group-living for the demented. Eur J Clin Nutr 56: pp. 221-227 CrossRef
- Gray Donald, K., Payette, H., Boutier, V. (1995) Randomized clinical trial of nutritional supplementation shows little effect on functional status among free-living frail elderly. J Nutr 125: pp. 2965-2971
- McKay, D.L., Perrone, G., Rasmussen, H. (2000) The effects of a multivitamin/mineral supplement on micronutrient status, antioxidant capacity and cytokine production in healthy older adults consuming a fortified diet. J Am Coll Nutr 19: pp. 613-621
- de-Jong, N., Chin, A., Paw, M.J., de-Groot, L.C. (2001) Nutrient-dense foods and exercise in frail elderly: Effects on B vitamins, homocysteine, methylmalonic acid, and neuropsychological functioning. Am J Clin Nutr 73: pp. 338-346
- de-Jong, N., Chin, A., Paw, M.J., de-Groot, L.C. (1999) Functional biochemical and nutrient indices in frail elderly people are partly affected by dietary supplements but not by exercise. J Nutr 129: pp. 2028-2036
- Fiatarone, M.A., O’Neill, E.F., Ryan, N.D. (1994) Exercise training and nutritional supplementation for physical frailty in very elderly people. N Engl J Med 330: pp. 1769-1775 CrossRef
- Hogarth, M.B., Marshall, P., Lovat, L.B. (1996) Nutritional supplementation in elderly medical in-patients: A double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Age Ageing 25: pp. 453-457 CrossRef
- Manders, M., de-Groot, L.C., van-Staveren, W.A. (2004) Effectiveness of nutritional supplements on cognitive functioning in elderly persons: A systematic review. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59: pp. M1041-1049
- Wouters-Wesseling, W., Wagenaar, L.W., Rozendaal, M. (2005) Effect of an enriched drink on cognitive function in frail elderly persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60: pp. 265-270
- Lauque, S., Arnaud Battandier, F., Gillette, S. (2004) Improvement of weight and fat-free mass with oral nutritional supplementation in patients with Alzheimer’s disease at risk of malnutrition: A prospective randomized study. J Am Geriatr Soc 52: pp. 1702-1707 CrossRef
- Planas, M., Conde, M., Audivert, S. (2004) Micronutrient supplementation in mild Alzheimer disease patients. Clin Nutr 23: pp. 265-272 CrossRef
- Wolters, M., Hickstein, M., Flintermann, A. (2005) Cognitive performance in relation to vitamin status in healthy elderly German women-the effect of 6-month multivitamin supplementation. Prev Med 41: pp. 253-259 CrossRef
- Lewerin, C., Matousek, M., Steen, G. (2005) Significant correlations of plasma homocysteine and serum methylmalonic acid with movement and cognitive performance in elderly subjects but no improvement from short-term vitamin therapy: A placebo-controlled randomized study. Am J Clin Nutr 81: pp. 1155-1162
- Imbimbo, B.P., Martelli, P., Troetel, W.M. (1999) Efficacy and safety of eptastigmine for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology 52: pp. 700-708
- Raskind, M.A., Cyrus, P.A., Ruzicka, B.B. (1999) The effects of metrifonate on the cognitive, behavioral, and functional performance of Alzheimer’s disease patients. Metrifonate Study Group. J Clin Psychiatry 60: pp. 318-325
- Berkhout, A.M., Cools, H.J., Mulder, J.D. (1989) Het meten of schatten van de lichaamslengte van oudere verpleeghuispatiënten. Tijdschr Gerontol Geriatr 20: pp. 211-214
- Gloth, F.M., Walston, J., Meyer, J. (1995) Reliability and validity of the Frail Elderly Functional Assessment questionnaire. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 74: pp. 45-53 CrossRef
- Berkhout, A.M. (1996) Beperkingen in het voedingsgedrag bij verpleeghuispatiënten. Tijdschr Gerontol Geriatr 27: pp. 62-66
- Mohs, R.C., Rosen, W.G., Davis, K.L. (1983) The Alzheimer’s disease assessment scale: an instrument for assessing treatment efficacy. Psychopharmacol Bull 19: pp. 448-450
- Rosen, W.G., Mohs, R.C., Davis, K.L. (1984) A new rating scale for Alzheimer’s disease. Am J Psychiatry 141: pp. 1356-1364
- Yesavage, J.A., Brink, T.L., Rose, T.L. (1983) Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report. J Psychiatr Res 17: pp. 37-49 CrossRef
- Almeida, O.P., Almeida, S.A. (1999) Short versions of the geriatric depression scale: A study of their validity for the diagnosis of a major depressive episode according to ICD-10 and DSM-IV. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 14: pp. 858-865 CrossRef
- Beck, A.M., Ovesen, L. (1998) At which body mass index and degree of weight loss should hospitalized elderly patients be considered at nutritional risk?. Clin Nutr 17: pp. 195-198 CrossRef
- Wouters-Wesseling, W., van-Hooijdonk, C., Wagenaar, L. (2003) The effect of a liquid nutrition supplement on body composition and physical functioning in elderly people. Clin Nutr 22: pp. 371-377 CrossRef
- Clarke, R., Harrison, G., Richards, S. (2003) Effect of vitamins and aspirin on markers of platelet activation, oxidative stress and homocysteine in people at high risk of dementia. J Intern Med 254: pp. 67-75 CrossRef
- Thal, L.J., Ferguson, J.M., Mintzer, J. (1999) A 24-week randomized trial of controlled-release physostigmine in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology 52: pp. 1146-1152
- The effect of a nutrient dense drink on mental and physical function in institutionalized elderly people
JNHA - The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging
Volume 13, Issue 9 , pp 760-767
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Institutionalized elderly people
- randomized clinical trial
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, the Netherlands
- 2. Department of Geriatrics, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
- 5. Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, P.O. Box 8129, 6700 EV, Wageningen, the Netherlands
- 3. DMV International, Delhi, NY, USA
- 4. Nursing Home De Landrijt, Eindhoven, the Netherlands