Synthesis, luminescent properties, and theoretical study of novel Sm3+ and Dy3+ complexes containing β-diketone and 1,10-phenanthroline
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Two new ternary complexes of 1-(2-thienyl)-3-(p-phenylethynylphenyl)-1,3-propanedione (HTPP) and 1,10-phenanthroline (phen) with Sm3+ and Dy3+ were synthesized. The composition of the ternary complexes was characterized as Sm(TPP)3phen and Dy(TPP)3phen, respectively, by infrared (IR) spectra, chemical analysis, elemental analysis, and thermodynamic analysis. At room temperature, under UV light excitation, the Sm3+ and Dy3+ complexes exhibit characteristic emissions of the central ions. It is found that the fluorescence intensity of Sm(TPP)3phen is stronger than that of Dy(TPP)3phen. In order to explain this phenomenon, an accurate quantum chemistry calculation was carried out, and the result is in good agreement with the experiment data.
- Weissan S.I., Intramolecular energy transfer-the fluorescence of complexes of europium, J. chem. Phys., 1942, 10: 214. CrossRef
- Gago S., Fernandes J.A., Painho J.P., Ferreira R.A.S., Pillinger M., Valente A.A., Santos T.M., Carlos L.D., Ribeiro-Claro P.J.A., and Gaocalves I.S., Highly luminescent tris(β-diketonate)europium(III) complexes immobilized in a functionalized mesoporous silica, Chem. Mater., 2005, 17(20): 5077. CrossRef
- Li W.L., YU J.Q., Sun G., Hong Z.R., Yu Y., Zhao Y., Peng J.B., and Tsutsui T., Organic electroluminescent devices using terbium chelates as the emitting layer, Synth. Met., 1997, 91: 263. CrossRef
- Rohatgi K.K., Luminescence behaviour and laser action in rare earth chelates, J. Sci. Ind. Res., 1965, 24: 456.
- Wang L.H., Wang W., Zhang W.G., Kang E.T., and Huang W., Synthesis and luminescence properties of novel Eu-containing copolymers consisting of Eu(III)-acrylate-β-diketonate complex monomers and methyl methacrylate, Chem. Mater., 2000, 12(8): 2212. CrossRef
- Yang W.Y., Chen L., and Wang S., Syntheses, Structures, and luminescence of novel lanthanide complexes of tripyridylamine, N,N,N′N′-tetra(2-pyridyl)-1,4-phenylenediamine and N,N,N′N′-tetra(2-pyridyl)biphenyl-4,4′-diamine, Inorg. Chem., 2001, 40(3): 507. CrossRef
- Yang C., Liu L., Gao Y., Zhang W., Zhang X.J., and Zhang L.Q., The influence of preparation conditions on the fluorescence properties of Eu(Sal)3phen, Luminescence, 2006, 21(2): 98. CrossRef
- Parra D.F., Breto H.F., Matos J.D.R., and Dies L.C., Enhancement of the luminescence intensity of the novel system containing Eu3+-β-diketonate complex doped in the epoxy resin, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 2002, 83(12): 2716. CrossRef
- Parra D.F., Mucciolo A., and Brito H.F., Green luminescence system containing a Tb3+-β-diketonate complex doped in the epoxy resin as sensitizer, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 2004, 94(3): 865. CrossRef
- Liu X.W., Wang N., and Suo Q.L., Synthesis and luminescence properties of rare earth ternary complexes consisting of Eu(III), β-diketones and 1,10-phenanthroline, J. Rare Earths, 2008, 26(6): 778. CrossRef
- Liu X.W., Wang N., and Suo Q.L., Synthesis and luminescence properties of rare earth ternary complexes consisting of Tb(III), β-diketones and 1,10-phenanthroline (phen), Rare Met., 2008, 27(6): 612.
- Liu X.W., Wang N., and Suo Q.L., Synthesis and luminescence properties of rare earth(Eu,Tb) ternary complexes with β-diketone and 1,10-phenanthroline, Chin. J. Org. Chem., 2009, 29(2): 292.
- Liu X.W., Wang N., Gao S.S.T., and Gao J.F., Synthesis, luminescence properties and theoretical study of ternary complexes of Eu3+ and Tb3+ with β-diketone and 1,10-phenanthroline, Chin. J. Org. Chem., 2009, 29(10): 1676.
- Liu X.W., Wang N., Suo Q.L., and Lu S.G., Synthesis and characterization of three β-diketones, J. Inner Mongolia Univ., 2008, 39(3): 281.
- Sato S. and Wada M., Relations between intramolecular energy transfer efficiencies and triplet state energies in rare earth β-diketone chelates, Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn., 1970, 43(7): 1955. CrossRef
- Wu H.X., Xiao L.L., Chen L., Sun J.Y., and Yu X.B., Synthesis and fluorescence properties of ternary complexes of rare earth with acetylacetone and benzimidazole, Chin. J. Spectrosc. Lab., 2004, 21(1): 163.
- Synthesis, luminescent properties, and theoretical study of novel Sm3+ and Dy3+ complexes containing β-diketone and 1,10-phenanthroline
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 28-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Nonferrous Metals Society of China, General Research Institute for Nonferrous Metals
- Additional Links
- lanthanide complex
- rare earth elements
- quantum chemistry
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Chemistry, Baotou Teacher’s College, Baotou, 014030, China
- 2. School of Chemical Engineering, Inner Mongolia University of Technology, Hohhot, 010051, China
- 3. Baotou Research Institute of Rare Earths, Baotou, 014030, China