Kinematic comparison of different incisal tables used for anterior guidance reconstruction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Conventional articulators allow the user to adjust the inclination of the incisal table according to reconstruction principles. This fact suggests the adoption of an incisal table which exploits an appropriate curvature related to the individual incisal concavity by the reciprocal motion of the incisors. The aim of this study was to compare different incisal tables by a kinematic analysis of the protrusion motion.
Materials and methods
A parametric planar multibody model of the articulator (reference SL Gamma Dental) was developed by means of the implementation of the contact equations in the sagittal plane both for the condylar and incisal pin/tables guides. Through the use of the parametric model, the equations of contact and motion were mathematically shown for the different devices used in the present study.
Sequenzial incisal tables, individual anterior guidance unit and adjustable curvature were used for the comparison. All the tests were made using three shapes of condylar guidance (CI) with different sagittal condylar inclination (SCI). The numerical parameters of tables were processed and compared to the trajectory of the upper shape of the standard incisal by a mean deviation factor (MDF).
The value of the MDF decreased from a mean value of 0.13 when a flat table was used to a mean value of 0.08 when an adjustable curvature device was used. In all cases the curvature was higher in the first part of the protrusion and progressively decreased during the protrusion path. The variation of the eminence angle may affect the inclination of the ideal incisal table but the curvature is imperceptibly affected by this parameter.
The comparison between three incisal tables showed a better matching of the adjustable curvature of anterior guidance showing full agreement with the results.
- Celebic, A, Alajbeg, ZI, Kraljevic, S, Valentic, PM (2007) Influence of condylar and incisal guidance ratio to the activity of anterior and posterior temporal muscle. Arch Oral Biol. 52: pp. 142-8 CrossRef
- Slavicek, R (1982) Prinzipien der Okklusion.. Inf Orthod Kieferorthop. 3: pp. 171-212
- Slavicek, R (2002) The masticatory organ: function and dysfunction. Gamma Medizinisch – Wissenschaftliche Fortbildungs –AG, Austria
- Slavicek, R (1984) Die funktionellen Determinaten des Kauorgans.. Zahnaerztlich-Medizinisches Schrifttum, Muenchen
- Starcke EN. The history of articulators: pursuing the evolution of the incisal-pin and guide, Part II. J Prosthodont. 2001;10(2):113–21.
- Peck, C, Murray, G, Johnson, C, Klineberg, J (1999) Trajectories of condylar points during working-side excursive movements of the mandible. J Prosthet Dent. 81: pp. 444-52 CrossRef
- Ogawa, T, Koyano, K, Suetsugu, T (1997) The influence of anterior guidance and condylar guidance on mandibular protrusive movement. J Oral Rehabil. 24: pp. 303-9 CrossRef
- Otake, T, Mayanagi, A, Tsuruta, J, Nozawa, K, Miura, H, Hasegawa, S (2002) The role of posterior guidances under the altered anterior guidance. J Oral Rehabi. 29: pp. 1196-205 CrossRef
- Schuyler, CH. (2001) The function and importance of incisal guidance in oral rehabilitation. J Prosthet Dent. 86: pp. 219-39 CrossRef
- McHorris, WH. (1982) The importance of anterior teeth. J. Gnathol 1: pp. 19-36
- Al-Nimri, KS, Bataineh, AB, Abo-Farha, S (2010) Functional occlusal patterns and their relationship to static occlusion. Angle Orthod. 80: pp. 65-71 CrossRef
- Okano, N, Baba, K, Igarashi, Y (2007) Influence of altered occlusal guidance on masticatory muscle activity during clenching. J Oral Rehabil. 34: pp. 679-84 CrossRef
- Kulmer, S, Ruzika, B, Niederwanger, A, Moschen, I (1999) Incline and length of guiding elements in untreated naturally grown dentition. J Oral Rehabil. 26: pp. 650-65 CrossRef
- Kohno, S, Nakano, M (1987) The measurement and development of anterior guidance. J Prosthetic Dent. 57: pp. 620-5 CrossRef
- Broderson, SP (1978) Anterior guidance: the key to successful occlusal treatment. J Prosthet Dent. 39: pp. 396-400 CrossRef
- Starcke EN. The history of articulators: “scribing” articulators: those with functionally generated custom guide controls, part I. J Prosthodont. 2004;13(2):118–28.
- Starcke EN. The history of articulators: “scribing” articulators: those with functionally generated custom guide controls, part II. J Prosthodont. 2005;14(1):57–70.
- Ogawa, T, Koyano, K, Suetsugo, T (1996) The relationship between inclination of the occlusal plane and jaw closing path. J Prosthet Dent. 76(6): pp. 576-80 CrossRef
- McHorris, WH (1979) Occlusion with particular emphasis on the functional and parafunctional role of the anterior teeth, part I.. J Clin Orthod. 13: pp. 606-20
- McHorris, WH (1979) Occlusion with particular emphasis on the functional and parafunctional role of the anterior teeth, part II. J Clin Orthod. 13: pp. 684-701
- Morita, O, Miyagawa, Y, Lang, BR (1982) Determining the protrusive movement on arcon and nonarcon articulators by mathematical equation. J Prosthet Dent. 47: pp. 330-55 CrossRef
- Katona, TR. (1991) A mathematical model of mandibular protrusion. J Prosthet Dent. 66: pp. 699-705 CrossRef
- Tasora, A, Simeone, P (2010) Development of a new type of incisal table for prosthetic articulators. Int J Dent. 10: pp. 1-5 CrossRef
- Gerald F. Curves and surfaces for CAGD, a practical guide. 5th ed. Morgan-Kaufmann; 2002.
- Edwad JH. Computer-aided kinematics and dynamics of mechanical systems. Allyn and Bacon; 1989.
- Zoghby, AE, Ré, J-P, Perez, C (2009) Functional harmony between the sagittal condylar path inclination and the anterior guidance inclination. Int J Stomatol Occl Med. 2: pp. 131-6 CrossRef
- Kinematic comparison of different incisal tables used for anterior guidance reconstruction
international journal of stomatology & occlusion medicine
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 155-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Anterior guidance
- Dental articulators
- Comparative study