Assessment of running safety of railway vehicles using multibody dynamics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An analysis model for multibody systems was developed to assess the running safety of the Saemaeul train passing through curves. Sensitivity analyses based on the variation of parameters related to derailments were conducted using this model and the ADAMS/Rail software package. These analyses showed that the derailment coefficient and the unload ratio of the right wheel were higher than that of the left wheel at low speed, but lower at high speed. The derailment coefficient and the unload ratio increased as the curve radius decreased. The derailment coefficient increased but there was no change in the unload ratio as the length of transition curves increased. The derailment coefficient and the unload rate increased in proportion to the increase in track cant.
- Bhatti, M. H. and Garg, V. K., “A Review of Railway Vehicle Performance and Design Criteria,” Int. J. Vehicle Design, Vol. 5, No. 1–2, pp. 232–254, 1984.
- Wickens, A. H., “The Dynamics of Railway Vehicles-from Stephenson to Carter,” Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 212, No. 3, pp. 209–217, 1998. CrossRef
- Gilchrist, A. O., “The Long Road to Solution of the Railway Hunting and Curving Problems,” Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 212, No. 3, pp. 219–226, 1998. CrossRef
- Liu, H. Y. and Yu, D. L., “Influence of Semi-Active Suspension on Running Safety of Vehicles,” International Journal of Railway, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 147–151, 2009.
- Matsudaira, T., “Dynamics of High Speed Rolling Stock,” Japanese National Railways RTRI Quarterly Reports, Special Issue, 1963.
- Weinstock, H., “Wheel Climb Derailment Criteria for Evaluation of Rail Vehicle Safety,” ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Paper No. 84-WA/RT-1, pp. 1–7, 1984.
- Gilchrist, A. O. and Brickle, B. V., “A Re-examination of the Proneness to Derailment of a Railway Wheelset,” J. Mech. Eng. Sci., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 131–141, 1976. CrossRef
- Ham, Y. S., Lee, D. H., Kwon, S. J., You, W. H. and Oh, T. Y., “Continuous Measurement of Interaction Forces between Wheel and Rail,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 35–39, 2009. CrossRef
- Takai, H., Uchida, M., Muramatsu, H. and Ishida, H., “Derailment Safety Evaluation using Analytic Equations,” Quarterly Report of RTRI, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 119–124, 2002. CrossRef
- Park, S. H., Kim, J. S. and Choi, J. J., “Reference Slip Ratio Generation and Adaptive Sliding Mode Control for Railway Rolling Stocks,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 39–44, 2009. CrossRef
- Ham, Y. S., “Measuring and Analysis of Derailment Coefficients of Swing Motion Bogie for Railway Freight Car,” Proceedings of the KSPE Autumn Conference, pp. 130–133, 2003.
- Nagase, N., Wakabayashi, Y. and Sakahara, H., “A Study of the Phenomenon of Wheel Climb Derailment: Results of Basic Experiments using Model Bogies,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Part F: J. Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 216, No. 4, pp. 237–247, 2002. CrossRef
- Ishida, H. and Matsuo, M., “Safety Criteria for Evaluation of the Railway Vehicle Derailment,” Quarterly Report of RTRI, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 18–25, 1999. CrossRef
- Miyamoto, M., “Mechanism of Derailments Phenomena with Railway Vehicle,” Quarterly Report of RTRI, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 147–155, 1996.
- Ishida, H., Miyamoto, T., Maebashi, E., Doi, H., Iida, K. and Furukawa, A., “Safety Assessment for Flange Climb Derailment of Trains Running at Low Speeds on Sharp Curves,” Quarterly Report of RTRI, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 65–71, 2006. CrossRef
- Mechanical Dynamics, “ADAMS/Rail User’s Guide,” 2005.
- Ham, Y. S., “Study on the anti-vibration of the rolling stock,” Korea Railroad Research Institute, 1996.
- Korail, “List of Main Components of PMC Car,” 1994.
- Assessment of running safety of railway vehicles using multibody dynamics
International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 315-320
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society for Precision Engineering
- Additional Links
- Railway Vehicle
- Multibody dynamics
- Running safety
- Derailment coefficient
- Industry Sectors