Oscillatory growth of nonfaceted dendrite and faceted plate during unidirectional solidification
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nonfaceted dendrite and faceted plate in succinonitrile-0.7 wt.% salol and camphor-47.4 wt.% and −35 wt.% naphthalene mixtures were in situ observed during unidirectional solidification. Nonfaceted dendrite oscillates in the growth direction during unidirectional solidification, alternatively repeating fast and slow growth. The faceted phase, whose growth is operated by a two dimensional nucleation mode, also shows oscillation of growth velocity. The oscillation in the faceted phase is due to the intrinsic growth nature, while in the nonfaceted phase it is due to experimental artifacts, that is, thermal fluctuations in the cold and hot zones. The implications of the observed dendrite tip fluctuation in relation with the initiation of dendrite sidebranching have been discussed.
- M. J. Suk and K. Leonartz, J. Crystal Growth 208, 809 (2000). CrossRef
- L. M. Fabietti, Metall. Mater. Trans. A 31, 2678 (2000). CrossRef
- J. C. La Combe, M. B. Koss, J. E. Frei, C. Giummarra, A. O. Luplescu, and M. E. Glicksman, Phys. Rev. E 65, 031604 (2002).
- O. Martin and N. Goldenfeld, Phys. Rev. A 35, 1382 (1987). CrossRef
- S. Liu, S-Z. Lu and A. Hellawell, J. Crystal Growth 234, 751 (2002). CrossRef
- R. Gonzalez-Cinca and L. Ramirez-Piscina, Phys. Rev. E 63, 051602 (2001).
- U. Bisang and J. H. Bilgram, J. Crystal Growth 166, 212 (1996). CrossRef
- A. Karma and W-J. Rappel, Phys. Rev. E 60, 3614 (1999). CrossRef
- A. Dougherty, P. D. Kaplan, and J. P. Gollub, Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 1652 (1987). CrossRef
- R. Pieters and J. S. Langer, Phys. Rev. Lett. 56, 1948 (1986). CrossRef
- M. J. Suk and K. Leonartz, J. Crystal Growth 213, 141 (2000). CrossRef
- K. Somboonsuk, J. T. Mason, and R. Trivedi, Metall. Trans. A 15, 967 (1984). CrossRef
- S. Liu, M. J. Suk, L. Fabietti, and R. Trivedi, Solidifcation Process and Microstructures: A Symposium in Honor of Wilfried Kurz (eds., M. Rappaz, C. Beckermann, and R. Trivedi), p. 211, TMS (2004).
- L. M. Fabietti and R. Trivedi, Metall. Trans. 22A, 1249 (1991).
- K. A. Gudgel and K. A. Jackson, J. Crystal Growth 225, 264 (2001). CrossRef
- Oscillatory growth of nonfaceted dendrite and faceted plate during unidirectional solidification
Metals and Materials International
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 379-383
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Institute of Metals and Materials
- Additional Links
- growth oscillation
- dendrite sidebranching
- crystal growth
- Industry Sectors