Association of Psychiatric History and Type D Personality with Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression, and Health Status Prior to ICD Implantation
Personality factors and psychiatric history may help explain individual differences in risk of psychological morbidity and poor health outcomes in patients with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD).
We examined associations between previous anxiety and depressive disorder, type D personality, anxiety or depressive symptoms, and health status in ICD patients prior to ICD implantation.
Patients (N = 278; 83 % men; mean age = 62.2 years ±11) receiving a first ICD from September 2007 through April 2010 at the Medisch Spectrum Twente, The Netherlands completed validated questionnaires before implantation assessing type D personality (14-item Type D Scale), anxiety and depressive symptoms (Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale), and health status (36-item Short Form Health Survey). History of anxiety or depressive disorder was assessed with the Mini International Neuropsychiatric Interview structural interview.
Previous anxiety or depressive disorder was prevalent in 8 and 19 % of patients, respectively. Type D personality was present in 21 %, depressive symptoms in 15 %, and anxiety in 24 %. In adjusted analyses, type D personality was a dominant correlate of previous depressive disorder (odds ratio (OR) 6.2, p < 0.001) and previous anxiety disorder (OR 3.9, p = 0.004). Type D personality (OR 4.0, p < 0.001), age (OR 1.03, p = 0.043), and gender (OR 2.5, p = 0.013) were associated with anxiety symptoms at baseline. Type D personality (OR 5.9. p < 0.001) was also associated with increased depressive symptoms at baseline. Heart failure and type D personality were related to poorer health status.
In ICD patients, prior to ICD implantation, a previous anxiety or depressive disorder, type D personality, and anxiety and depressive symptoms were associated with poorer health status. Type D personality was also independently associated with increased anxiety and depression symptoms.
- Zipes DP, Wellens HJ. Sudden cardiac death. Circulation. 1998;98(21):2334–51. CrossRef
- The Antiarrhythmics versus Implantable Defibrillators (AVID) Investigators. A comparison of antiarrhythmic-drug therapy with implantable defibrillators in patients resuscitated from near-fatal ventricular arrhythmias. N Engl J Med. 1997;337(22):1576–83. CrossRef
- Ezekowitz JA, Armstrong PW, McAlister FA. Implantable cardioverter defibrillators in primary and secondary prevention: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138(6):445–52. CrossRef
- Grimm W, Alter P, Maisch B. Arrhythmia risk stratification with regard to prophylactic implantable defibrillator therapy in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Results of MACAS, DEFINITE, and SCD-HeFT. Herz. 2004;29(3):348–52. CrossRef
- Friedmann E, Thomas SA, Inguito P, Kao CW, Metcalf M, Kelley FJ, et al. Quality of life and psychological status of patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2006;17(1):65–72. CrossRef
- Hegel MT, Griegel LE, Black C, Goulden L, Ozahowski T. Anxiety and depression in patients receiving implanted cardioverter-defibrillators: a longitudinal investigation. Int J Psychiatry Med. 1997;27(1):57–69. CrossRef
- Ladwig KH, Baumert J, Marten-Mittag B, Kolb C, Zrenner B, Schmitt C. Posttraumatic stress symptoms and predicted mortality in patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: results from the prospective living with an implanted cardioverter-defibrillator study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008;65(11):1324–30. CrossRef
- Sears Jr SF, Todaro JF, Lewis TS, Sotile W, Conti JB. Examining the psychosocial impact of implantable cardioverter defibrillators: a literature review. Clin Cardiol. 1999;22(7):481–9. CrossRef
- Bostwick JM, Sola CL. An updated review of implantable cardioverter/defibrillators, induced anxiety, and quality of life. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2007;30(4):677–88. CrossRef
- Whang W, Albert CM, Sears Jr SF, Lampert R, Conti JB, Wang PJ, et al. Depression as a predictor for appropriate shocks among patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: results from the Triggers of Ventricular Arrhythmias (TOVA) study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45(7):1090–5. CrossRef
- Kao CW, Friedmann E, Thomas SA. Quality of life predicts one-year survival in patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Qual Life Res. 2010;19(3):307–15. CrossRef
- Johansen JB, Pedersen SS, Spindler H, Andersen K, Nielsen JC, Mortensen PT. Symptomatic heart failure is the most important clinical correlate of impaired quality of life, anxiety, and depression in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator patients: a single-centre, cross-sectional study in 610 patients. Europace. 2008;10(5):545–51. CrossRef
- Tung R, Zimetbaum P, Josephson ME. A critical appraisal of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy for the prevention of sudden cardiac death. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52(14):1111–21. CrossRef
- Denollet J, Van Heck GL. Psychological risk factors in heart disease: what type D personality is (not) about. J Psychosom Res. 2001;51(3):465–8. CrossRef
- Pedersen SS, Denollet J. Type D personality, cardiac events, and impaired quality of life: a review. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2003;10(4):241–8. CrossRef
- Pedersen SS, Theuns DA, Muskens-Heemskerk A, Erdman RA, Jordaens L. Type-D personality but not implantable cardioverter-defibrillator indication is associated with impaired health-related quality of life 3 months post-implantation. Europace. 2007;9(8):675–80. CrossRef
- Pedersen SS, Theuns DA, Erdman RA, Jordaens L. Clustering of device-related concerns and type D personality predicts increased distress in ICD patients independent of shocks. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2008;31(1):20–7. CrossRef
- Sears SF, Lewis TS, Kuhl EA, Conti JB. Predictors of quality of life in patients with mplantable cardioverter defibrillators. Psychosomatics. 2005;46(5):451–7. CrossRef
- Pedersen SS, van Domburg RT, Theuns DA, Jordaens L, Erdman RA. Type D personality is associated with increased anxiety and depressive symptoms in patients with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator and their partners. Psychosom Med. 2004;66(5):714–9. CrossRef
- van den Broek KC, Nyklicek I, van der Voort PH, Alings M, Meijer A, Denollet J. Risk of ventricular arrhythmia after implantable defibrillator treatment in anxious type D patients. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54(6):531–7. CrossRef
- Pedersen SS, van den Broek KC, Erdman RA, Jordaens L, Theuns DA. Pre-implantation implantable cardioverter defibrillator concerns and type D personality increase the risk of mortality in patients with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. Europace. 2010;12(10):1446–52. CrossRef
- Dunbar SB, Kimble LP, Jenkins LS, Hawthorne M, Dudley W, Slemmons M, et al. Association of mood disturbance and arrhythmia events in patients after cardioverter defibrillator implantation. Depress Anxiety. 1999;9(4):163–8. CrossRef
- Godemann F, Butter C, Lampe F, Linden M, Werner S, Behrens S. Determinants of the quality of life (QoL) in patients with an implantable cardioverter/defibrillator (ICD). Qual Life Res. 2004;13(2):411–6. CrossRef
- Fan AZ, Strine TW, Jiles R, Mokdad AH. Depression and anxiety associated with cardiovascular disease among persons aged 45 years and older in 38 states of the United States, 2006. Prev Med. 2008;46(5):445–50. CrossRef
- Martens EJ, Nyklicek I, Szabo BM, Kupper N. Depression and anxiety as predictors of heart rate variability after myocardial infarction. Psychol Med. 2008;38(3):375–83. CrossRef
- Steinberg JS, Joshi S, Schron EB, Powell J, Hallstrom A, McBurnie M. Psychosocial status predicts mortality in patients with life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias. Heart Rhythm. 2008;5(3):361–5. CrossRef
- van Erven L, van Dessel PFHM, Simmers TA, van Gelder IC, Hauer RNW, Wever EFD, et al. Guidelines ICD implantation 2005—an update. Available at http://www.nvvcnl/media/richtlijn/25/Guidelines%20ICD%20implantation%202005%20-%20an%20updatepdf 2006 Apr 1.
- Zipes DP, Camm AJ, Borggrefe M, Buxton AE, Chaitman B, Fromer M, et al. ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Develop guidelines for management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death) developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society. Europace. 2006;8(9):746–837. CrossRef
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983;67(6):361–70. CrossRef
- Spinhoven P, Ormel J, Sloekers PP, Kempen GI, Speckens AE, Van Hemert AM. A validation study of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) in different groups of Dutch subjects. Psychol Med. 1997;27(2):363–70. CrossRef
- Bjelland I, Dahl AA, Haug TT, Neckelmann D. The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature review. J Psychosom Res. 2002;52(2):69–77. CrossRef
- Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Sheehan KH, Amorim P, Janavs J, Weiller E. The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (M.I.N.I.): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10. J Clin Psychiatry. 1998;59 Suppl 20:22–33.
- van Vliet I, de Beurs E. The MINI-International Neuropsychiatric Interview. A brief structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV en ICD-10 psychiatric disorders. Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2007;49(6):393–7.
- Denollet J. DS14: standard assessment of negative affectivity, social inhibition, and type D personality. Psychosom Med. 2005;67(1):89–97. CrossRef
- Emons WH, Meijer RR, Denollet J. Negative affectivity and social inhibition in cardiovascular disease: evaluating type-D personality and its assessment using item response theory. J Psychosom Res. 2007;63(1):27–39. CrossRef
- de Jonge P, Denollet J, van Melle JP, Kuyper A, Honig A, Schene AH, et al. Associations of type-D personality and depression with somatic health in myocardial infarction patients. J Psychosom Res. 2007;63(5):477–82. CrossRef
- Martens EJ, Smith OR, Winter J, Denollet J, Pedersen SS. Cardiac history, prior depression and personality predict course of depressive symptoms after myocardial infarction. Psychol Med. 2008;38(2):257–64. CrossRef
- Scherer M, Stanske B, Wetzel D, Koschack J, Kochen MM, Herrmann-Lingen C. Psychosocial co-symptoms in primary care patients with heart failure. Herz. 2006;31(4):347–54. CrossRef
- Aaronson NK, Muller M, Cohen PD, Essink-Bot ML, Fekkes M, Sanderman R, et al. Translation, validation, and norming of the Dutch language version of the SF-36 Health Survey in community and chronic disease populations. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51(11):1055–68. CrossRef
- Aina Y, Susman JL. Understanding comorbidity with depression and anxiety disorders. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2006;106(5 Suppl 2):S9–14.
- Bean JF, Olveczky DD, Kiely DK, Larose SI, Jette AM. Performance-based versus patient-reported physical function: what are the underlying predictors? Phys Ther. 2011;91(12):1804–11. CrossRef
- Knaster P, Karlsson H, Estlander AM, Kalso E. Psychiatric disorders as assessed with SCID in chronic pain patients: the anxiety disorders precede the onset of pain. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2012;34(1):46–52. CrossRef
- Martens EJ, Kupper N, Pedersen SS, Aquarius AE, Denollet J. Type-D personality is a stable taxonomy in post-MI patients over an 18-month period. J Psychosom Res. 2007;63(5):545–50. CrossRef
- Denollet J, Sys SU, Stroobant N, Rombouts H, Gillebert TC, Brutsaert DL. Personality as independent predictor of long-term mortality in patients with coronary heart disease. Lancet. 1996;347(8999):417–21. CrossRef
- Tully PJ, Pedersen SS, Winefield HR, Baker RA, Turnbull DA, Denollet J. Cardiac morbidity risk and depression and anxiety: a disorder, symptom and trait analysis among cardiac surgery patients. Psychol Health Med. 2011;16(3):333–45. CrossRef
- Pedersen SS, Hoogwegt MT, Jordaens L, Theuns DA. Pre implantation psychological functioning preserved in majority of implantable cardioverter defibrillator patients 12 months post implantation. Int J Cardiol 2011. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2011.10.092
- Denollet J. Type D personality. A potential risk factor refined. J Psychosom Res. 2000;49(4):255–66. CrossRef
- van den Broek KC, Nyklicek I, van der Voort PH, Alings M, Denollet J. Shocks, personality, and anxiety in patients with an implantable defibrillator. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2008;31(7):850–7. CrossRef
- Pelle AJ, Erdman RA, van Domburg RT, Spiering M, Kazemier M, Pedersen SS. Type D patients report poorer health status prior to and after cardiac rehabilitation compared to non-type D patients. Ann Behav Med. 2008;36(2):167–75. CrossRef
- Piotrowicz K, Noyes K, Lyness JM, McNitt S, Andrews ML, Dick A, et al. Physical functioning and mental well-being in association with health outcome in patients enrolled in the Multicenter Automatic Defibrillator Implantation Trial II. Eur Heart J. 2007;28(5):601–7. CrossRef
- Association of Psychiatric History and Type D Personality with Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression, and Health Status Prior to ICD Implantation
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
International Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 425-433
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Health status
- Type D personality
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Psychology, Medisch Spectrum Twente, P.O. Box 50.000, 7500, KA, Enschede, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Cardiology, Thorax Center Twente, Medisch Spectrum Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
- 3. CoRPS-Center of Research on Psychology in Somatic Diseases, Tilburg University, Tilburg, The Netherlands
- 4. Department of Research Methodology, Measurement and Data Analysis, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands