Social Determinants of Health at Different Phases of Life
Social determinants of health, i.e., those conditions under which people are born, live, work, and grow old, shape population health in a systematic way .Unequal distribution of and access to resources such as power, education, income, goods, and services, influences social inequalities in health between countries and between groups of people within countries. The common features of social determinants of health are that they vary across time and space, that they accumulate throughout the life course, and that they act on multiple levels in a society ranging from upstream determinants in terms of social institutions and policies via intermediate levels of interpersonal social relationships and individual risk factors to downstream determinants of pathophysiologic bodily pathways (Fig. 1) . Fig. 1
This multilevel understanding of social determinants of health highlights the scope for reciprocal influences between the differen ...
- Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. World Health Organization, Geneva
- Kaplan, GA (2004) What's wrong with social epidemiology, and how can we make it better?. Epidemiol Rev 26: pp. 124-35 CrossRef
- Kopp, M, Skrabski, Á, László, K, Janszky, I (2010) Gender patterns of socioeconomic differences in premature mortality: Follow-up of the Hungarian Epidemiological Panel. Int J Behav Med.
- Jonassaint, CR, Siegler, IC, Barefoot, JC, Edwards, CL, Williams, RB (2010) Low life course socioeconomic status (SES) is associated with negative NEO PI-R personality patterns. Int J Behav Med.
- Temcheff, CE, Serbin, LA, Martin-Storey, A, Stack, DM, Ledingham, J, Schwartzman, AE (2010) Predicting adult physical health outcomes from childhood aggression, social withdrawal and likeability: a 30-year prospective longitudinal study. Int J Behav Med.
- Neumann, SA, Maier, KJ, Brown, JP, Giggey, PP, Cooper, DC, Synowski, SJ, Goble, LA, Suarez, EC, Waldstein, SR (2010) Cardiovascular and psychological reactivity and recovery from harassment in a biracial sample of high and low hostile men and women. Int J Behav Med.
- Suglia, SF, Ryan, L, Bellinger, DC, Bosquet Enlow, M, Wright, RJ (2010) Children's exposure to violence and distress symptoms: influence of caretakers' psychological functioning. Int J Behav Med.
- Brassai, L, Piko, BF, Steger, MF (2010) Meaning in life: is it a protective factor for adolescents' psychological health?. Int J Behav Med.
- Galobardes, B, Lynch, JW, Davey Smith, G (2008) Is the association between childhood socioeconomic circumstances and cause-specific mortality established? Update of a systematic review. J Epidemiol Community Health 62: pp. 387-90 CrossRef
- Kuh, D, Ben-Shlomo, Y (1997) A life course approach to chronic disease epidemiology: tracing the origins of ill-health from early to adult life. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Zettergren, P, Bergman, LR, Wångby, M (2006) Girls' stable peer status and their adulthood adjustment: a longitudinal study from age 10 to age 43. Int J Behav Dev 30: pp. 315-25 CrossRef
- Östberg, V, Modin, B (2008) Status relations in school and their relevance for health in a life course perspective: findings from the Aberdeen children of the 1950s cohort study. Soc Sci Med 66: pp. 835-48 CrossRef
- Erikson, R, Goldthorpe, JH (1992) The constant flux: a study of class mobility in industrial societies. Clarendon, Oxford
- Erola, J, Moisio, P (2007) Social mobility over three generations in Finland, 1950–2000. Eur Sociol Rev 23: pp. 169-83 CrossRef
- McCrae, RR, Costa, PTJ (2003) Personality in adulthood: a five-factor theory perspective. The Guildford, New York CrossRef
- Mustard, CA, Etches, J (2003) Gender differences in socioeconomic inequality in mortality. J Epidemiol Community Health 57: pp. 974-80 CrossRef
- Kunst, AE (2009) Socioeconomic inequalities in health in Central and Eastern Europe: synthesis of results of eight new studies. Int J Public Health 54: pp. 197-200 CrossRef
- Leinsalu, M, Stirbu, I, Vågerö, D, Kalediene, R, Kovács, K, Wojtyniak, B, Wróblewska, W, Mackenbach, JP, Kunst, AE (2009) Educational inequalities in mortality in four Eastern European countries: divergence in trends during the post-communist transition from 1990 to 2000. Int J Epidemiol 38: pp. 512-25 CrossRef
- Mackenbach, JP (1999) Socioeconomic inequalities in mortality among women and among men: an international study. Am J Public Health 89: pp. 1800-6 CrossRef
- Noble, RE (2005) Depression in women. Metabolism 54: pp. 49-52 CrossRef
- Leadbeater, BJ, Kuperminc, GP, Blatt, SJ, Hertzog, C (1999) A multivariate model of gender differences in adolescents' internalizing and externalizing problems. Dev Psychol 35: pp. 1268-82 CrossRef
- Rew, L (2005) Adolescent health: a multidisciplinary approach to theory, research, and intervention. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks
- Social Determinants of Health at Different Phases of Life
International Journal of Behavioral Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 1-4
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links