Terrain Characterization for Soil Resource Mapping Using IRS-P6 Data and GIS - A Case Study From Basaltic Terrain of Central India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present study, landforms and soils have been characterized in Borgaon Manju watershed of basaltic terrain located in Akola district, Maharashtra, Central India. Terrain characterization using Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) elevation data (90 m) and IRS-P6 LISS IV data in conjunction with adequate field surveys shows nine distinct landforms. Soil resource inventory shows fourteen soil series in the study area. Soils formed on gently sloping (3–8 %) subdued plateau are very shallow (23 cm), moderately well drained, moderate (15–40 %) surface stoniness, severely eroded, clayey and slightly alkaline in reaction, whereas, the soils formed on level to nearly level (0–1 %) slope in the main valley are very deep (>150 cm), well drained, very slight (<3 %) surface stoniness, moderately eroded with clayey surface and moderately alkaline in reaction. Soils in the watershed are grouped into Lithic Ustorthents, Vertic Haplustepts, Calcic Haplustepts, Typic Haplustepts, Typic Haplusterts and Sodic Calciusterts. The study demonstrates that the analysis of SRTM elevation data and IRS P6–IV data in Geographic Information System (GIS) with adequate field surveys helps in characterization of landforms and soils in analysis of landscape-soil relationship.
- Ballantine, JAC, Okin, GS, Prentiss, DE, Roberts, DA (2005) Mapping North African landforms using continental scale unmixing of MODIS imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment 97: pp. 470-483 CrossRef
- Birkeland, PW (1990) Soil-geomorphic research - a selective overview. Geomorphology 3: pp. 207-224 CrossRef
- Black, C. A. (1965). Methods of soil analysis, part I & 2. Publisher: Madison, Wisconsin: American Society of Agronomy. MSA. 770.
- Dobos, E, Micheli, E, Baumgardner, MF, Biehl, L, Helt, T (2000) Use of combined digital elevation model and satellite radiometric data for regional soil mapping. Geoderma 97: pp. 367-391 CrossRef
- Dwivedi, RS (2001) Soil resource mapping: a remote sensing perspective. Remote Sensing Reviews 20: pp. 89-122 CrossRef
- ESRI (2010). Manual of ArcGIS (ver 10). Redlands, USA: Environmental System Research Institute (ESRI).
- Grimaldi, S, Nardi, F, Benedetto, F, Istanbulluoglu, E, Bras, RL (2007) A physically-based method for removing pits in digital elevation models. Advances in Water Resources 30: pp. 2151-2158 CrossRef
- GSI (2000). District resource map of Akola. Central Region, India: Geological Society of India.
- Guth, P. (2003). Geomorphology of DEMs: Quality assessment and scale effects (Paper No. 175-2). Proceedings of GSA, Seattle.
- Hengl, T, Reuter, HI (2008) Geomorphometry: concepts, software, applications. Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Jackson, ML (1967) Soil chemical analysis. Prentice-Hall, New Delhi
- Kudrat, M, Tiwari, AK, Saha, SK, Bhan, SK (1992) Soil resource mapping using IRS 1A LISS-II digital data -a case study of Kandi area adjacent to Chandigarh, India. International Journal of Remote Sensing 13: pp. 3287-3302 CrossRef
- McBratney, AB, Odeh, IOA, Bishop, TFA, Dundar, MS, Shatar, TM (2000) An overview of pedometric techniques for use in soil survey. Geoderma 97: pp. 293-327 CrossRef
- McKenzie, NJ, Ryan, PJ (1999) Spatial prediction of soil properties using environmental correlation. Geoderma 89: pp. 67-94 CrossRef
- Moore, ID, Lewis, A, Gallant, JC (1993) Soil attribute prediction using terrain analysis. Soil Science Society of America Journal 57: pp. 443-452 CrossRef
- PCI (2007). Geomatica, image analysis system Ver. 10.1. Ontario, Canada.
- Reddy, GPO, Maji, AK (2003) Delineation and characterization of geomorphological features in a part of Lower Maharahstra Metamorphic Plateau, using IRS-ID LISS-III data. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing 31: pp. 241-250 CrossRef
- Reddy, G. P. O., Maji, A. K., Nagaraju, M. S. S., Thayalan, S., & Ramamurthy, V. (2008). Ecological evaluation of land resources and land use systems for sustainable development at watershed level in different agro-ecological zones of Vidarbha region, Maharashtra using Remote sensing and GIS techniques, Project Report, NBSS & LUP, Nagpur. pp. 270.
- Reddy, GPO, Maji, AK, Srinivas, CV, Velayutham, M (2002) Geomorphological analysis for inventory of degraded lands in a river basin of basaltic terrain, using remote sensing data and Geographical Information Systems. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing 30: pp. 15-31 CrossRef
- Reddy, GPO, Shekinah, DE, Maurya, UK, Thayalan, S, Prasad, J, Ray, SK, Bhasker, BP (1999) Landscape-soil relationship in part of Bazargaon plateau, Maharashtra. Geographical Review of India 61: pp. 280-291
- Sarkar, D, Gangopadhyay, SK, Sahoo, AK (2006) Soil resource appraisal towards land use planning using satellite remote sensing and GIS- a case study in Patloinala micro-watershed, District Puruliya, West Bengal. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing 34: pp. 245-260 CrossRef
- Soil Survey Division Staff (2000). Soil survey manual, USDA Handbook No.18, US government printing office, Washington, D.C.
- Keys to soil taxonomy. USDA-National Resource Conservation Service, Washington, D.C
- Speight, JG (1990) Australian soil and land survey: field handbook. Inkata Press, Melbourne
- Srivastava, R, Saxena, RK (2004) Techniques of large-scale soil mapping in basaltic terrain using satellite remote sensing data. International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: pp. 679-688 CrossRef
- Velmurugan, A, Carlos, GG (2009) Soil resource assessment and mapping using remote sensing and GIS. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing 37: pp. 511-525 CrossRef
- Wright, R. L. (1993). Some application of geomorphology in soil survey for land use planning. In D. K. Dent & S. B. Deshpande (Eds.), Land evaluation for land use planning. NBSS Publ. No.42. Nagpur, India: 28–41.
- Terrain Characterization for Soil Resource Mapping Using IRS-P6 Data and GIS - A Case Study From Basaltic Terrain of Central India
Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing
Volume 41, Issue 2 , pp 331-343
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Terrain characterization
- Soils resource mapping
- Satellite remote sensing