ASTER Data Analysis for Mineral Potential Mapping Around Sawar-Malpura Area, Central Rajasthan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) SWIR bands are used in identification of alteration zones which have developed during hydrothermal activity. Among the available methods of hyperspectral data analysis, PCA and RBD techniques are found to be useful in delineation of clay alteration and iron oxide zones. ASTER data analysis by PCA and RBD of (B5+B7)/B6 shows delineation of two distinct alteration zones with characteristic mineral assemblages viz. propylitic zone (chlorite, epidote, montmorillonite and calcite) and phyllic zone (illite, kaolinite, white mica and quartz). Iron oxide rich zones (gossans) have been delineated using ASTER band ratio technique (B2/B1). Geochemical dispersion of soil samples shows that Pb and Zn concentration is higher in phyllic and propylitic zones around Sawar and Malpura area respectively. Thus, ASTER data shows the potential in discrimination of metasedimentary rocks and delineation of alteration zones for targeting base metals around Sawar-Malpura area in central Rajasthan.
- Azizi, H, Rsaouli, AA, Babaei, K (2007) Using SWIR Bands from ASTER for discrimination of Hydrothermal Altered Minerals in the Northwest of Iran (Se-Sanandaj City): A Key for Exploration of Copper and Gold Mineralisation. Research Jour. of Applied Sciences 2: pp. 763-768
- Baloki, M, Poormirzaee, R (2009) Using ASTER Image Processing for Hydrothermal Alteration and Key Alteration Minerals Mapping in Siyahrud. Iran. Int. Jour. of Geology 3: pp. 38-43
- Bhadra, BK, Gupta, AK, Sharma, JR, Chaudhary, BR (2007) Mining activity and its impact on the environment: Study from Makrana marble and Jodhpur sandstone mining areas of Rajasthan. Jour. Geol. Soc. of India 70: pp. 557-570
- Bhadra BK, Pathak S and Sharma JR (2008) High Resolution Satellite data for large-scale geological mapping, DEM generation and mine planning around Beawar Limestone Belt, Ajmer district, Rajasthan. In: Proceedings of ISRS Symposium, Ahmedabad, Paper No.3-3-075, pp.1-12.
- Bhadra BK, Pathak S and Sharma JR (2009) ASTER data analysis for mineral potential mapping around Sawar. Ajmer district, Rajasthan. In: Abstract Volume of ISRS Symposium, Nagpur, 17-19th Sep., 2009, pp.129–130.
- Crosta AP and Moore J McM (1989) Enhancement of Landsat Themartic Mapper imagery for residual soil mapping in SW Minas Gerais State Brazil: A prospecting case history in greenstone belt terrain. In: Proceedings of the 9 th Thematic Conference on Remote Sensing for Exploration Geology, Calgary, pp.1173-1187.
- Crowley, JK, Brockely, DW, Rowan, LC (1989) Airborne imaging spectrometer data of the Ruby Mountains, Montana: Mineral discrimination using relative absorption band-depth images. Remote Sensing of Environment 29: pp. 121-134 CrossRef
- Crosta, AP, Souza Filho, CR, Azevedo, F, Brodie, C (2003) Targeting key alteration minerals in epithermal deposits in Patagonia, Argentina, using ASTER imagery and PCI. Int. Jour. Remote Sensing 24: pp. 4233-4240 CrossRef
- GSI Map (2001) District Resource Maps of Ajmer, Tonk, Jaipur and Bhilwara districts. Publ. Geological Survey of India.
- Gupta, RP (2003) Remote Sensing Geology, 2nd Edition. Springer-Verlag: berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 656p.
- Hubbard, BE and Crowley JK (2001) Alteration mineral mapping in the Central Andes using HYPERIAN, ALI and ASTER. Paper No. 134–0.
- Hubbard, BE, Rowan, LC, Dusel-Bacon, C, Eppinger, RG (2007) Geologic mapping and mineral resource assessment of the Healy and Talkeetna Mountains Quadrangles, Alaska using minimal cloud- and snow-cover ASTER data. USGS Open-File Report 2007–1046: pp. 18p
- Liu, L, Zhuang, D, Zhou, J, Qiu, D (2011) Alteration mineral mapping using masking and Crosta technique for mineral exploration in mid-vegetated areas: A case study in Areletuobie, Xinjiang (China). Int. Jour. of Remote Sensing 32: pp. 1931-1944 CrossRef
- Loughlin, W (1991) Principal component analysis for alteration mapping. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 57: pp. 1163-1169
- Plumlee GS, Gray JE, Roeber MM, Coolbaugh M, Flohr M and Whitney G (1995) The importance of geology in understanding and remediating environmental problems at Summitville. In: Posey HH, Pendleton JA and Van Zyl D (Eds): Proceedings, Summitville Forum '95, Colorado, and Geol. Surv. Spl. Publ. No. 38, pp. 13–22.
- Ranjbar, H, Shahriari, H, Honarmand, M (2003) Comparison of ASTER and ETM data for exploration of porphyry copper mineralization: A case study of Sar Cheshmesh areas. Map Asia Conference in 2003, Kerman, Iran
- Ray SK (1988) Report on Prospecting and Exploration of Lead-Zinc and Copper-Gold Mineralised Zones in Sawar-Bajta area, Ajmer District, Rajasthan. Geol. Surv. of India Unpublished Report for F.S. 1982–83 to 1986–87, pp.1–61.
- Rouskov K, Popov K, Stoykov S and Yamaguchi Y (2005) Some Applications of Remote Sensing in Geology by using ASTER Images. In: Proceedings of Scientific Conference ‘Space, Ecology, Safety’, Varna, Bulgaria, pp.167-173.
- Rowan, LC, Mars, JC (2003) Lithologic mapping in the Mountain Pass, California area using Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) data. Remote Sensing and Environment 84: pp. 350-366 CrossRef
- Smith (2002) A Tutorial on Principal Component Analysis. Source: www.cs.otago.ac.nz/cosc453/student_tutorials/principal_components.pdf
- Simon van der Wielen, Simon Oliver and Aleks Kalinowski (2004) Remote sensing and spectral investigations in the Western Succession, Mount Isa Inlier: Implications for exploration. CRC Conference, Barossa Valley, 1–3 June 2004, pp.205-208.
- Zhang, X, Pazner, M (2007) Comparison of lithologic mapping with ASTER, Hyperion, and ETM Data in the Southeastern Chocolate Mountains, USA. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 73: pp. 555-561
- ASTER Data Analysis for Mineral Potential Mapping Around Sawar-Malpura Area, Central Rajasthan
Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing
Volume 41, Issue 2 , pp 391-404
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Principal Component Analysis (PCA)
- Relative absorption-Band Depth (RBD) Ratio
- Clay Alteration zones
- Geochemical Analysis