Neonatal diabetes mellitus due to L233F mutation in the KCNJ11 gene
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Neonatal diabetes mellitus (NDM) due to KCNJ11 gene mutation presents with diabetes in the first 3 months of life and sometimes with neurological features like developmental delay, muscle weakness and epilepsy.
A 5-week-old boy presented with diabetic ketoacidosis. Molecular genetic analysis of the patient revealed heterozygous missense mutation, L233F in the KCNJ11 gene, while his mother was mosaic for the same mutation.
The treatment strategy was changed from insulin injections to oral glibenclamide and with a better glycemic control.
The patient with NDM due to mutation L233F (not reported till date) in the KCNJ11 gene can be successfully treated with oral glibenclamide therapy.
- Gloyn AL, Pearson ER, Antcliff JF, Proks P, Bruining GJ, Slingerland AS, et al. Activating mutations in the gene encoding the ATP-sensitive potassium-channel subunit Kir6.2 and permanent neonatal diabetes. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1838–1849. CrossRef
- Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM. Activating mutations in Kir6.2 and neonatal diabetes: new clinical syndromes, new scientific insights, and new therapy. Diabetes 2005;54:2503–2513. CrossRef
- Proks P, Antcliff JF, Lippiat J, Gloyn AL, Hattersley AT, Ashcroft FM. Molecular basis of Kir6.2 mutations associated with neonatal diabetes or neonatal diabetes plus neurological features. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004;101:17539–17544. CrossRef
- Flanagan SE, Clauin S, Bellanné-Chantelot C, de Lonlay P, Harries LW, Gloyn AL, et al. Update of mutations in the genes encoding the pancreatic beta-cell K(ATP) channel subunits Kir6.2 (KCNJ11) and sulfonylurea receptor 1 (ABCC8) in diabetes mellitus and hyperinsulinism. Hum Mutat 2009;30:170–180. CrossRef
- Pearson ER, Flechtner I, Njølstad PR, Malecki MT, Flanagan SE, Larkin B, et al. Switching from insulin to oral sulfonylureas in patients with diabetes due to Kir6.2 mutations. N Engl J Med 2006;355:467–477. CrossRef
- Zung A, Glaser B, Nimri R, Zadik Z. Glibenclamide treatment in permanent neonatal diabetes mellitus due to an activating mutation in Kir6.2. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:5504–5507. CrossRef
- Zlotogora J. Germ line mosaicism. Hum Genet 1998;102:381–386. CrossRef
- Neonatal diabetes mellitus due to L233F mutation in the KCNJ11 gene
World Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 371-372
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Children’s Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine
- Additional Links
- neonatal diabetes mellitus