The need for a benchmark of the practice of cardiology
- M. L. Simoons
- … show all 1 hide
The Netherlands Society of Cardiology (NVvC) and the European Society of Cardiology have assumed responsibility for the quality of care in the Netherlands and in Europe. To this end, the societies organise congresses and publish journals to promote exchange of information on research and developments in cardiology. The societies develop guidelines for prevention, diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease and they promote education programmes. Surveys and registries provide information on the actual practice of cardiology, to assess whether the guidelines are followed in clinical practice, to identify areas where improvements can be made and to verify whether the guidelines, and the clinical trials on which these are often based, really address the patients which we see in our practices (Fig. 1). Unfortunately few systematic registries of patient care are operational in our country. Therefore other sources of information should be used to gain insight into the practice of cardi ...
- Soedamah-Muthu SS, Geleijnse JM, Giltay EJ, et al. Levels and trends in cardiovascular risk factors and drug treatment in 4837 elderly Dutch myocardial infarction patients between 2002 and 2006. Neth Heart J. 2012;20:xx–x [Fill in]. CrossRef
- Kromhout D, Giltay EJ, Geleijnse M, et al. n-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular events after myocardial infarction. New Engl J Med. 2010;363:2015–26. CrossRef
- Kotseva K, Wood D, De Backer G, et al. Cardiovascular prevention guidelines in daily practice: a comparison of EUROASPIRE I, II, and III surveys in eight European countries. Lancet. 2009;373:929–40. CrossRef
- Flynn MR, Barrett C, Cosio FG, et al. The Cardiology Audit and Registration Data Standards (CARDS), European data standards for clinical cardiology practice. Eur Heart J. 2005;26:308–13. CrossRef
- NHS zorgprogramma en Euro Heart Survey, resultaten 2001–2006, uitgave Nederlandse Hartstichting.
- The need for a benchmark of the practice of cardiology
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Netherlands Heart Journal
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 91-93
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Bohn Stafleu van Loghum
- Additional Links
- M. L. Simoons (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Thoraxcentrum, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, the Netherlands