Pulmonary hypertension, how to diagnose and who to treat?
Pulmonary arterial hypertension is a fatal disease with an estimated survival rate of only 50% after 5 years . Over the last years, knowledge in the field of pulmonary hypertension has grown consistently and significantly. New diagnostic tools, as well as the efficacy of new medications and drug combinations, have been described.
How to define and diagnose pulmonary arterial hypertension is the first important issue. Should echocardiography be the method of choice? It is easy to access, cheap and noninvasive. However, the cut-off values are debatable. In the ESC guidelines of 2009  an estimated peak pulmonary artery pressure of >50 mmHg is stated as ‘pulmonary hypertension is likely’, while a PAP of 37–50 is defined as ‘possible PH’. However, the gold standard remains heart catheterisation. Now the definition is made using a mean pulmonary artery pressure of 25 mmHg or more. Age and gender seem to have an important impact on the incidence and severity of PH. For instance, female p ...
- Kane GC, Maradit-Kremers H, Slusser JP, et al. Integration of clinical and hemodynamic parameters in the prediction of long-term survival in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest. 2011;139:1263–4. CrossRef
- ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension. European Heart Journal 2009;30:2493–2537
- Simonneau G, Robbins I, Beghetti M, et al. Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. JACC. 2009;54:843–54.
- Galie N, Manes A, Negro L, et al. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Heart J. 2009;30:394–403. CrossRef
- Schuuring MJ, van Riel ACMJ, Bouma BJ, et al. Recent progress in treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension due to congenital heart disease. Neth Heart J 2011
- Schölzel BE, Snijder RJ, Morshuis WJ, et al. Clinical worsening after pulmonary endarterectomy in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Neth Heart J 2011
- Hoendermis ES. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: an update. Neth Heart J 2011
- Pieper PG, Hoendermis ES. Pregnancy in women with pulmonary hypertension. Neth Heart J 2011
- Schuuring MJ, Boekholdt SM, Windhausen A, et al. Advanced therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension due to congenital heart disease: a clinical perspective in a new therapeutic era. Neth Heart J 2011
- Pulmonary hypertension, how to diagnose and who to treat?
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Netherlands Heart Journal
Volume 19, Issue 12 , pp 493-494
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Bohn Stafleu van Loghum
- Additional Links