Early double stent thrombosis associated with clopidogrel hyporesponsivenesss
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 57-year-old male patient without cardiovascular history suffered an acute myocardial infarction and underwent drug-eluting stent implantation in the left anterior descending artery. A few days later, the right coronary artery was also stented (drug-eluting stent). Three days later, he was re-admitted to our hospital in cardiogenic shock. Emergent coronary angiography showed total occlusion of both stents. Platelet function analysis (PFA) showed attenuated platelet inhibition in response to clopidogrel treatment. The patient was the carrier of a loss-of-function polymorphism in the CYP2C19 gene, which has been associated with increased incidence of adverse thrombotic events. Antiplatelet therapy was switched to prasugrel and PFA revealed an adequate antiplatelet effect.
- Smith Jr SC, Feldman TE, Hirshfeld Jr JW, et al. ACC/AHA/SCAI 2005 Guideline Update for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention-Summary Article: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (ACC/AHA/SCAI Writing Committee to Update the 2001 Guidelines for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;1:216–35. CrossRef
- Buonamici P, Marcucci R, Migliorini A, et al. Impact of platelet reactivity after clopidogrel administration on drug-eluting stent thrombosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;24:2312–7. CrossRef
- Geisler T, Langer H, Wydymus M, et al. Low response to clopidogrel is associated with cardiovascular outcome after coronary stent implantation. Eur Heart J. 2006;20:2420–5. CrossRef
- Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R, et al. Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Circulation. 2007;17:2344–51. CrossRef
- Sibbing D, Braun S, Jawansky S, et al. Assessment of ADP-induced platelet aggregation with light transmission aggregometry and multiple electrode platelet aggregometry before and after clopidogrel treatment. Thromb Haemost. 2008;1:121–6.
- Cutlip DE, Baim DS, Ho KK, et al. Stent thrombosis in the modern era: a pooled analysis of multicenter coronary stent clinical trials. Circulation. 2001;15:1967–71.
- Serebruany VL, Steinhubl SR, Berger PB, et al. Variability in platelet responsiveness to clopidogrel among 544 individuals. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;2:246–51. CrossRef
- Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, Hiatt BL, et al. Clopidogrel for coronary stenting: response variability, drug resistance, and the effect of pretreatment platelet reactivity. Circulation. 2003;23:2908–13. CrossRef
- Savi P, Pereillo JM, Uzabiaga MF, et al. Identification and biological activity of the active metabolite of clopidogrel. Thromb Haemost. 2000;5:891–6.
- Simon T, Verstuyft C, Mary-Krause M, et al. Genetic determinants of response to clopidogrel and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med. 2009;4:363–75. CrossRef
- Mega JL, Close SL, Wiviott SD, et al. Cytochrome p-450 polymorphisms and response to clopidogrel. N Engl J Med. 2009;4:354–62. CrossRef
- De Miguel A, Ibanez B, Badimon JJ. Clinical implications of clopidogrel resistance. Thromb Haemost. 2008;2:196–203.
- Collet JP, Hulot JS, Pena A, et al. Cytochrome P450 2C19 polymorphism in young patients treated with clopidogrel after myocardial infarction: a cohort study. Lancet. 2009;9660:309–17. CrossRef
- Wiviott SD, Braunwald E, McCabe CH, et al. Prasugrel versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med. 2007;20:2001–15. CrossRef
- Bonello L, Camoin-Jau L, Armero S, et al. Tailored clopidogrel loading dose according to platelet reactivity monitoring to prevent acute and subacute stent thrombosis. Am J Cardiol. 2009;1:5–10. CrossRef
- Mehta SR. CURRENT OASIS-7: benefit to doubling clopidogrel dose in ACS patients undergoing PCI. Presented at: European Society of Cardiology 2009 Congress; August 30, 2009; Barcelona, Spain. 2009.
- Price MJ, Berger PB, Angiolillo DJ, et al. Evaluation of individualized clopidogrel therapy after drug-eluting stent implantation in patients with high residual platelet reactivity: design and rationale of the GRAVITAS trial. Am Heart J. 2009;5:818–24. 824 e811. CrossRef
- Early double stent thrombosis associated with clopidogrel hyporesponsivenesss
Netherlands Heart Journal
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 38-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Bohn Stafleu van Loghum
- Additional Links