Echocardiography in Percutaneous Mitral Valve Interventions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Transcatheter therapies have emerged as an important treatment for patients with native mitral regurgitation and prosthetic valve paravalvular regurgitation. Echocardiography is critical to the success of these procedures. Echocardiographic guidance plays a central role in patient selection, procedural guidance, and post-procedure surveillance. Successful imaging support requires an understanding of the procedural technique, optimal views at different points in the procedure, and common pitfalls. Standardization of imaging protocols can help achieve optimal support during the procedure. New echocardiographic technologies, such as real-time 3D imaging, have enhanced the ability to provide guidance for these procedures. As percutaneous therapies for mitral valve disease continue to become more prevalent, echocardiography will continue to be a key modality for imaging guidance for these procedures.
- Trichon, BH, Felker, GM, Shaw, LK, Cabell, CH, O'Connor, CM (2003) Relation of frequency and severity of mitral regurgitation to survival among patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction and heart failure. Am J Cardiol 91: pp. 538-43 CrossRef
- Silvestry, FE, Rodriguez, LL, Herrmann, HC (2007) Echocardiographic guidance and assessment of percutaneous repair for mitral regurgitation with the Evalve MitraClip: lessons learned from EVEREST I. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 20: pp. 1131-40 CrossRef
- Mirabel, M, Iung, B, Baron, G (2007) What are the characteristics of patients with severe, symptomatic, mitral regurgitation who are denied surgery?. Eur Heart J 28: pp. 1358-65 CrossRef
- Masson, JB, Webb, JG (2009) Percutaneous treatment of mitral regurgitation. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2: pp. 140-6 CrossRef
- Zamorano, JL, Badano, LP, Bruce, C (2011) EAE/ASE recommendations for the use of echocardiography in new transcatheter interventions for valvular heart disease. Eur Heart J 32: pp. 2189-214 CrossRef
- Chiam, PT, Ruiz, CE (2011) Percutaneous transcatheter mitral valve repair: a classification of the technology. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 4: pp. 1-13 CrossRef
- Heuser, RR, Witzel, T, Dickens, D, Takeda, PA (2008) Percutaneous treatment for mitral regurgitation: the QuantumCor system. J Interv Cardiol 21: pp. 178-82 CrossRef
- Tops, LF, Veire, NR, Schuijf, JD (2007) Noninvasive evaluation of coronary sinus anatomy and its relation to the mitral valve annulus: implications for percutaneous mitral annuloplasty. Circulation 115: pp. 1426-32 CrossRef
- Sack, S, Kahlert, P, Bilodeau, L (2009) Percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty: initial human experience with a novel coronary sinus implant device. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2: pp. 277-84 CrossRef
- Sorajja, P, Nishimura, RA, Thompson, J, Zehr, K (2008) A novel method of percutaneous mitral valve repair for ischemic mitral regurgitation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 1: pp. 663-72 CrossRef
- Pedersen, WR, Block, P, Leon, M (2008) iCoapsys mitral valve repair system: Percutaneous implantation in an animal model. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 72: pp. 125-31 CrossRef
- Alfieri, O, Maisano, F, Bonis, M (2001) The double-orifice technique in mitral valve repair: a simple solution for complex problems. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 122: pp. 674-81 CrossRef
- Feldman, T, Kar, S, Rinaldi, M (2009) Percutaneous mitral repair with the MitraClip system: safety and midterm durability in the initial EVEREST (Endovascular Valve Edge-to-Edge REpair Study) cohort. J Am Coll Cardiol 54: pp. 686-94 CrossRef
- Feldman, T, Foster, E, Glower, DD (2011) Percutaneous repair or surgery for mitral regurgitation. N Engl J Med 364: pp. 1395-406 CrossRef
- Whitlow, PL, Feldman, T, Pedersen, WR (2012) Acute and 12-month results with catheter-based mitral valve leaflet repair: the EVEREST II (Endovascular Valve Edge-to-Edge Repair) High Risk Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 59: pp. 130-9 CrossRef
- Rudolph V, Knap M, Franzen O, et al. Echocardiographic and clinical outcomes of MitraClip therapy in patients not amenable to surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol. 58:2190–5.
- Auricchio A, Schillinger W, Meyer S, et al. Correction of mitral regurgitation in nonresponders to cardiac resynchronization therapy by MitraClip improves symptoms and promotes reverse remodeling. J Am Coll Cardiol. 58:2183–9.
- Kische S, Nienaber C, Ince H. Use of four MitraClip devices in a patient with ischemic cardiomyopathy and mitral regurgitation: "Zipping by Clipping". Catheter Cardiovasc Interv.
- Mauri L, Garg P, Massaro JM, et al. The EVEREST II Trial: design and rationale for a randomized study of the evalve mitraclip system compared with mitral valve surgery for mitral regurgitation. Am Heart J. 160:23–9.
- Bonow, RO, Carabello, BA, Kanu, C (2006) ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing committee to revise the 1998 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease): developed in collaboration with the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists: endorsed by the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Circulation 114: pp. e84-231 CrossRef
- Lin BA, Forouhar AS, Pahlevan NM, et al. Color Doppler jet area overestimates regurgitant volume when multiple jets are present. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 23:993–1000.
- Herrmann, HC, Rohatgi, S, Wasserman, HS (2006) Mitral valve hemodynamic effects of percutaneous edge-to-edge repair with the MitraClip device for mitral regurgitation. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 68: pp. 821-8 CrossRef
- Pandis D, Grapsa J, Athanasiou T, Punjabi P, Nihoyannopoulos P. Left ventricular remodeling and mitral valve surgery: prospective study with real-time 3-dimensional echocardiography and speckle tracking. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 142:641–9.
- Sorajja, P, Cabalka, AK, Hagler, DJ, Rihal, CS (2011) Long-term follow-up of percutaneous repair of paravalvular prosthetic regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol 58: pp. 2218-24 CrossRef
- Pate, GE (2006) Al Zubaidi A, Chandavimol M, Thompson CR, Munt BI, Webb JG. Percutaneous closure of prosthetic paravalvular leaks: case series and review. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 68: pp. 528-33 CrossRef
- Echevarria, JR, Bernal, JM, Rabasa, JM, Morales, D, Revilla, Y, Revuelta, JM (1991) Reoperation for bioprosthetic valve dysfunction. A decade of clinical experience. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 5: pp. 523-6 CrossRef
- Kim, MS, Casserly, IP, Garcia, JA, Klein, AJ, Salcedo, EE, Carroll, JD (2009) Percutaneous transcatheter closure of prosthetic mitral paravalvular leaks: are we there yet?. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2: pp. 81-90 CrossRef
- Ruiz CE, Jelnin V, Kronzon I, et al. Clinical outcomes in patients undergoing percutaneous closure of periprosthetic paravalvular leaks. J Am Coll Cardiol. 58:2210–7.
- Rihal CS, Sorajja P, Booker JD, Hagler DJ, Cabalka AK. Principles of percutaneous paravalvular leak closure. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 5:121–30.
- Nietlispach F, Johnson M, Moss RR, et al. Transcatheter closure of paravalvular defects using a purpose-specific occluder. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 3:759–65.
- Zoghbi, WA, Enriquez-Sarano, M, Foster, E (2003) Recommendations for evaluation of the severity of native valvular regurgitation with two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16: pp. 777-802 CrossRef
- Pate, GE, Thompson, CR, Munt, BI, Webb, JG (2006) Techniques for percutaneous closure of prosthetic paravalvular leaks. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 67: pp. 158-66 CrossRef
- Lutter, G, Quaden, R, Osaki, S (2009) Off-pump transapical mitral valve replacement. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36: pp. 124-8 CrossRef
- Shuto T, Kondo N, Dori Y, et al. Percutaneous transvenous Melody valve-in-ring procedure for mitral valve replacement. J Am Coll Cardiol. 58:2475–80.
- Echocardiography in Percutaneous Mitral Valve Interventions
Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports
Volume 5, Issue 6 , pp 452-461
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Mitral valve
- Interventional cardiology
- Structural interventions
- Mitral regurgitation
- Industry Sectors